PDA

View Full Version : Help me start a Goblin Kingdom

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 07:44 AM
In my campaign, I'm playing a goblin rights activist, who's been going around trying to convince goblins that they need to stand up against the two-pronged assault of racial prejudice by humans and elves, and cultural slavery by hobgoblins and bugbears. So far I've had some luck, and I've started a goblin kingdom just south of the Ardeep Forest (it's an FR game). I'm not totally familiar with the setting beyond the maps I've looked at, and I'm wondering how you would try to expand it into a real diplomatic force along the Sword Coast, tactically speaking.

Currently we have a tenuous treaty with Goldenfields, in which they provide us with a certain amount of food each month and we give them a small cut of our taxes and raiding loot.

Thanks very much!

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-01, 07:47 AM
In my campaign, I'm playing a goblin rights activist, who's been going around trying to convince goblins that they need to stand up against the two-pronged assault of racial prejudice by humans and elves, and cultural slavery by hobgoblins and bugbears. So far I've had some luck, and I've started a goblin kingdom just south of the Ardeep Forest (it's an FR game). I'm not totally familiar with the setting beyond the maps I've looked at, and I'm wondering how you would try to expand it into a real diplomatic force along the Sword Coast, tactically speaking.
First, find an artifact that connects you to your Goblin Deity. (Red is the preferred color).
Second: ally with a lich.
Third: take over a city from some samurai.
Fourth: Profit.

--------------

On a more serious note, you need to raid some dwarven and human settlements and take captives. If you are going to build a city, you need some people who know what the heck they are doing, and who are good with stone.

Secondly, find a few stone giants and work out a deal for you to do something for them to get them to help you with construction.

Callak_Remier
2018-10-01, 07:51 AM
A goblin city would look more like squatters in a castle.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 07:54 AM
A goblin city would look more like squatters in a castle.

Yes.

That's what I'm trying to change.

We currently are sort of squatting in an abandoned town, but we've found the former residents and told them that they can come back whenever they want as long as they accept us as their rulers and pay their taxes.

Unoriginal
2018-10-01, 07:55 AM

Thanks very much!

FR goblins are not victim of a "two-pronged assault of racial prejudice by human and elves".

If you want to establish a kingdom, it's simple: get land legitimately, establish a keep, form trade relationship with the nearby communities (as FR humans do with goblins when the latter are not robbing the former), then join the Lord's Alliance to get legitimacy in the eyes of most nations.

Of course pretty much all goblins will try to kill you to get more power.

Also you're in for a very, very, very nasty afterlife when the goblinoid god get you and make you pay for trying to threaten the hobgoblin supremacy. Unless you do something about it beforehand.

Zanthy1
2018-10-01, 08:03 AM
I would shy away from raiding and looting, as that doesn't make you a kingdom, merely goblin brigand group. If you want this kingdom to not only be taken seriously but also successful, I would instead send emissaries to nearby kingdoms asking for artisans and craftsman who specifically focus on construction, and either offer the workers payment or the kingdom lending the workers payment. Have these craftsman teach your goblins how to design and build, and also have some of your goblins study abroad in other cities to learn more.

If you resort to the racially biased means of looting, then the world will treat you just like a large goblin band, and send adventurers or armies to quell you. To be a kingdom, act like a kingdom. Provide for your people, and if necessary create alliances to help become more self-sufficient. Offer citizenship to all immigrants (at least for the first couple years) to help establish a city culture and diversify your production. Don't forget taxes for public works and a standing army.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 08:12 AM
FR goblins are not victim of a "two-pronged assault of racial prejudice by human and elves".
OOC, yes I know. IC, my character is a good-aligned goblin who's experience prejudice (or what he perceived as prejudice) from humans. He's naive enough to think that all goblins are the same, and he wants to try and change goblin culture to be less evil.

If you want to establish a kingdom, it's simple: get land legitimately, establish a keep, form trade relationship with the nearby communities (as FR humans do with goblins when the latter are not robbing the former), then join the Lord's Alliance to get legitimacy in the eyes of most nations.
Fair enough. That was my basic plan, except I wasn't sure which communities would be willing to ally with goblin squatters, and it's pretty tough to acquire land legitimately, since pretty much everything that isn't already taken is monster-infested or completely remote.

Of course pretty much all goblins will try to kill you to get more power.
Also true. I'm hoping to use religion and bribes to keep the masses down.

Also you're in for a very, very, very nasty afterlife when the goblinoid god get you and make you pay for trying to threaten the hobgoblin supremacy. Unless you do something about it beforehand.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't FR gods get their power from their worshippers? If so, couldn't I start my own good-aligned church with a new, more tolerant god?

hamishspence
2018-10-01, 08:17 AM

Obould didn't get a "nasty afterlife" from Grummsh for making peace with humans. He got promoted to demigod when he died.

That might be a good gauge of how successful you need to be for "racial gods" (if you remain loyal to them and don't take a new patron) to reward you instead of punish you.

Maxilian
2018-10-01, 08:58 AM
Fair enough. That was my basic plan, except I wasn't sure which communities would be willing to ally with goblin squatters, and it's pretty tough to acquire land legitimately, since pretty much everything that isn't already taken is monster-infested or completely remote.

That means that you need to clean up one of those monsters infected zones, swamps are a great place to start!.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't FR gods get their power from their worshippers? If so, couldn't I start my own good-aligned church with a new, more tolerant god?

The Frog people (Kuatoa) are quite stupid and easy to make them worship... well... anything, and their believes have even created new gods, so you could go around swamps, enslave all those things, make them worship you as a god and maybe get some kind of god-hood

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 09:20 AM
Came up with a draft for a deity that I can use to control my kingdom.

Shaargrik, the Black Goat

Shaargrik is the goblin deity of mischief and cunning. His worshipers perform arcane rituals that involve bonfires and the sacrifice of goats, who are believed to, in their dying moments, become an aspect of the god himself, who will send messages to those who consume the goat's blood and flesh. When he appears on the Material Plane, which occurs only on his holy days, the 30th of April and 31st of October, he takes the form of a twenty-foot tall goblin covered in black hair, with the head of a goat and intelligent black eyes. Although Shaargrik favors goblins, he is tolerant of other races and religions, and usually attempts to turn his followers away from the rigid caste system that is traditional in goblin society. His clerics are mostly chaotic in alignment, with no particular preference towards good or evil. Their favored weapon is the warhammer, and his Domains are Trickery and War.

Unoriginal
2018-10-01, 10:06 AM
OOC, yes I know. IC, my character is a good-aligned goblin who's experience prejudice (or what he perceived as prejudice) from humans. He's naive enough to think that all goblins are the same, and he wants to try and change goblin culture to be less evil.

Well, I certainly can respect that, but remember that naive guys don't really make great rulers.

To whom belong to the town you conquered?

Otherwise, as was said before, clearing a monster-filled place and claiming it is legitimate.

Also true. I'm hoping to use religion and bribes to keep the masses down.

Add a calculated amount of violence and coercion when people challenge your rule and you have a winning recipe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't FR gods get their power from their worshipers? If so, couldn't I start my own good-aligned church with a new, more tolerant god?

Well, they get their power from their worshipers, but most of the deities have hundreds of worlds with their worshipers on them.

Even with 0 worshipers, demigods, titans and vestiges can pack a nasty punch.

If you change religion and convince the goblins to do the same (which will not be easy), you'll escape most of the issues.

Obould didn't get a "nasty afterlife" from Grummsh for making peace with humans. He got promoted to demigod when he died.

That might be a good gauge of how successful you need to be for "racial gods" (if you remain loyal to them and don't take a new patron) to reward you instead of punish you.

the issue is not making peace with the humans, it's refusing the hobgoblin domination.

Came up with a draft for a deity that I can use to control my kingdom.

Shaargrik, the Black Goat

Shaargrik is the goblin deity of mischief and cunning. His worshipers perform arcane rituals that involve bonfires and the sacrifice of goats, who are believed to, in their dying moments, become an aspect of the god himself, who will send messages to those who consume the goat's blood and flesh. When he appears on the Material Plane, which occurs only on his holy days, the 30th of April and 31st of October, he takes the form of a twenty-foot tall goblin covered in black hair, with the head of a goat and intelligent black eyes. Although Shaargrik favors goblins, he is tolerant of other races and religions, and usually attempts to turn his followers away from the rigid caste system that is traditional in goblin society. His clerics are mostly chaotic in alignment, with no particular preference towards good or evil. Their favored weapon is the warhammer, and his Domains are Trickery and War.

How are you going to trick people into believing this goat-guy is actually a god?

Or do you plan in finding a petty god which fit the bill, like the Trickster Gods of Chult?

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 10:17 AM
To whom belong to the town you conquered?

Otherwise, as was said before, clearing a monster-filled place and claiming it is legitimate.

It was formerly controlled by a bunch of humans ruled by a mayor. The mayor is dead (not related to our occupation) and there's no clear successor. Since I was the one who led the rebellion that killed the previous goblin chief and then freed the citizens (they were his prisoners), I'm hoping they won't put up much of a fight.

Add a calculated amount of violence and coercion when people challenge your rule and you have a winning recipe.

Well, that goes without saying.

How are you going to trick people into believing this goat-guy is actually a god?

Or do you plan in finding a petty god which fit the bill, like the Trickster Gods of Chult?

Probably finding a minor demigod or archfey that's willing to show up a few times a year and preach tolerance in exchange for being called a god. Maybe I'll find a loyal lieutenant to take a few warlock levels and become the High Priest (strictly under my control, or course.)

Ninja_Prawn
2018-10-01, 10:47 AM
If your kingdom is going to thrive, you'll need a sound economic policy. You mention that you're collecting taxes from your goblin subjects - where are they getting their gold from? If it's from theft and raiding, well, that's not a sustainable long term industry for a small city-state seeking legitimacy.

I wouldn't look to your goblins for entrepreneurship (or any kind of professional skills. Or basic literacy and numeracy), especially if they're being 'played' by the DM. It needs to be you that gives people a reason to join your kingdom. That is to say, productive industries for them to work in. Does the land you've settled have any natural resources? If it was a human town, its likely to come with some arable land, so that might be a good place to start. If necessary, recruit some humans to teach your goblins how to farm.

And if your goblins are going to own the food they produce, how are they going to convert it into gold for taxes? Will they take it to a nearby market, or do you need to set up your own? Will they need a wagonwright, woodcutters, blacksmith, tanner, etc. to support their farming activities - and do you need to take action to develop those industries? I don't think a bunch of goblins are going to sort all that out on their own.

If you start up a new religion, who is going to preach it? How do they feed themselves? Who's going to build a temple? Can you fund all this yourself, or do you need to attract outside investment?

I feel like there are a lot of unanswered questions here...

Unoriginal
2018-10-01, 11:24 AM
And if your goblins are going to own the food they produce, how are they going to convert it into gold for taxes?

Ehm, there is no need to do that? The lords accepted taxes in goods and services all the time.

Zanthy1
2018-10-01, 11:50 AM
Ehm, there is no need to do that? The lords accepted taxes in goods and services all the time.

"For this month's taxes you must perform manual labor to help build the walls around our city once a week."

They can work on the wall (or other public works projects) and get compensated with pay or whatever, but at least 1 day a week is unpaid as part of their taxes.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 12:06 PM
If your kingdom is going to thrive, you'll need a sound economic policy. You mention that you're collecting taxes from your goblin subjects - where are they getting their gold from? If it's from theft and raiding, well, that's not a sustainable long term industry for a small city-state seeking legitimacy.

I wouldn't look to your goblins for entrepreneurship (or any kind of professional skills. Or basic literacy and numeracy), especially if they're being 'played' by the DM. It needs to be you that gives people a reason to join your kingdom. That is to say, productive industries for them to work in. Does the land you've settled have any natural resources? If it was a human town, its likely to come with some arable land, so that might be a good place to start. If necessary, recruit some humans to teach your goblins how to farm.

And if your goblins are going to own the food they produce, how are they going to convert it into gold for taxes? Will they take it to a nearby market, or do you need to set up your own? Will they need a wagonwright, woodcutters, blacksmith, tanner, etc. to support their farming activities - and do you need to take action to develop those industries? I don't think a bunch of goblins are going to sort all that out on their own.

If you start up a new religion, who is going to preach it? How do they feed themselves? Who's going to build a temple? Can you fund all this yourself, or do you need to attract outside investment?

I feel like there are a lot of unanswered questions here...

Main commerce of the area:

Tourism: The town of Nightstone is a popular base for Waterdhavian nobles, many of whom vacation near the Ardeep Forest. Goblins that know the forest could serve as guides on hunting expeditions, or to staff hotels.

Trade: Situated perfectly between the Dessarin River and the coastal road, Gobzreikh is in a great position to exchange goods from inland to the western cities. Goblins can run market stalls, sail barges up the river to collect materials, and count the profits.

Mercenaries: A large standing military? Check. Soldiers without many qualms? Check. Constant skirmishing in the region? Check.

Agriculture: There is a fair amount of arable land nearby. Goblins will probably be best at herding livestock and fermenting beverages, including svinblut, a goblin liqueur distilled from the blood of honey-fed pigs.

Other: Hunting, lumber, and manufacturing are all possibilities as well.

Newtonsolo313
2018-10-01, 12:38 PM
"For this month's taxes you must perform manual labor to help build the walls around our city once a week."

They can work on the wall (or other public works projects) and get compensated with pay or whatever, but at least 1 day a week is unpaid as part of their taxes.

usually it was more half of the potato’s you didn’t need to feed your family

Unoriginal
2018-10-01, 12:45 PM
usually it was more half of the potato’s you didn’t need to feed your family

"Having to work on the lord's personal lands for X days" was a standard duty-tax. Generally for farmers who rented a parcel of the lord's lands.

Laserlight
2018-10-01, 12:55 PM
It was formerly controlled by a bunch of humans ruled by a mayor. The mayor is dead (not related to our occupation) and there's no clear successor.

I'm pretty sure the Lords Alliance will want to install their own pick, unless you come up with a convincing bribe argument as to why you would be a good candidate. I also expect that "staying in town to run things" will not help you advance the main story line.

As it happens, when we ran SKT, our psychotic sorcerer unilaterally declared herself the new town ruler. Then a bandit gang arrived and she tried to co-opt them. It was entertaining, in a "watching a train wreck" sort of way.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure the Lords Alliance will want to install their own pick, unless you come up with a convincing bribe argument as to why you would be a good candidate. I also expect that "staying in town to run things" will not help you advance the main story line.

Would an alliance with the Zhentarim be enough? We might feasibly get one if we open up trade along the Dessarin River.

Even if the LA send somebody to be the mayor, I'm guessing they won't want to tramp through miles of goblin-controlled wilderness just to try and get to a walled city on an island in the middle of the river with attached keep, which is also manned by goblins. If they do elect somebody, I'd guess they just become a ruler in name only. I really don't care about that.

I wouldn't want to be mayor myself. I'd appoint a (loyal) underling "Chief of Nightstone", as a direct subordinate to me, the king of the entire kingdom.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-01, 01:56 PM
A Kingdom? That will just stamp on the rights of Goblins as much as anything else.

What you need is an anarcho-syndicalist commune. :smallwink:

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-01, 01:58 PM
Would an alliance with the Zhentarim be enough? PT Barnum had an expression to cover that situation.
Even if the LA send somebody to be the mayor, I'm guessing they won't want to tramp through miles of goblin-controlled wilderness just to try and get to a walled city on an island in the middle of the river with attached keep, which is also manned by goblins. If they do elect somebody, I'd guess they just become a ruler in name only. I really don't care about that. That depends on how your DM runs the Lords Alliance. That faction has pretty deep pockets.

Unoriginal
2018-10-01, 02:10 PM
Would an alliance with the Zhentarim be enough?

It's like saying "a college degree? Can't I get in debt with the mafia instead?"

You said you wanted to play a good guy, too. Manipulating people with a fake religion is already stretching that.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-01, 02:26 PM
PT Barnum had an expression to cover that situation.

It's like saying "a college degree? Can't I get in debt with the mafia instead?"
You said you wanted to play a good guy, too. Manipulating people with a fake religion is already stretching that.

I didn't actually mean that I'd use an alliance with the Black Network instead of one with the Lord's Alliance. I meant that the Zhents might have enough influence to sway some of the LA delegates to support my people as Nightstone rulers.

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-01, 02:30 PM
I didn't actually mean that I'd use an alliance with the Black Network instead of one with the Lord's Alliance. I meant that the Zhents might have enough influence to sway some of the LA delegates to support my people as Nightstone rulers. Looks like an opportunity for some neat role play, and interaction with the FR factions if the DM in your campaign likes to do that kind of stuff.

Millface
2018-10-01, 02:51 PM
Sorry for all the people trying to tell you why this won't work. I, personally, love this idea. I love any ideas my players have that could "change the world", so to speak. Adventurers around levels 7+ and especially 11+ are great for making drastic change, and starting a town is one of those things. I've had players do it, they could afford it, they had the people. Vampires, no less, and a group of refugee humans. They were creative, they made it work, and it's changed the way my FR runs. If vampires can have a kingdom and trade in the open, so can goblins.

Here's how they did it:

It all started with a Keep that was granted through the Deck of Many Things. In this keep was a powerful Vampire NPC named Balthor from an old, old campaign we ran. That Vampire had the Sword of Kas, and having the sword and this keep granted him dominion over all vampires. The party was level 14 ish, and they managed to storm the keep and actually kill the vampire. A unique property of the keep was that if someone slept in Balthor's bed they would be granted Vampirism. I gave the party this choice, two of them took it. (largely neutral party, they were collecting power in any form they could in order to stop a larger threat, morality was largely out the window at this point, the world was at risk). Once the one who had taken the Sword of Kas became a Vampire and owned the keep, she technically gained dominion over vampires. That's where the town started.

1. They struck up an agreement with the vampires, enforced by an elite group led by one of the PCs. If any vampires broke this treaty, they would be hunted with surgical precision and eliminated. The vampires got land, positions on the ruling council, and all the blood they could drink. The humans got to be free of being hunted, and were able to elect an equal number of individuals for the ruling council, and an improved living environment (eventually) as the party dumped their significant wealth into building this town around the keep from the ground up. The only catch was that the humans had to volunteer to donate blood bi-weekly.
2. The PCs started calling in favors from those factions that they had helped in the past. They managed a group of engineers from a gnomish settlement that they'd helped, artisans from Citadel Felbar, bankers and scribes from Waterdeep and Luskan, and manpower in the form of a few smaller villages they'd helped early on who wanted to start a new life. They promised them new opportunities, a better life, and more importantly, wealth beyond their wildest dreams.
3. They set everyone to work. The specialists began to make up plans and train the humans who had smaller skillsets, they used their manpower to clear the surrounding woods for lumber and to generate farm land and build roads. They made this place a waystation for those traveling from Calimport to the northern Sword Coast for trade at first. Every now and then, they'd get new recruits from those that traveled through and saw their chance to be a part of something new and possibly huge and profitable.
4. They named a general and started training a number of their humans in combat. They put together an elite strike team of vampires and set up a protected perimeter around the area. Soon, they'd managed to wrangle some wizards from Silverymoon and Luskan with the help of one of the PCs who was a mage that tutored under the Archmage of Silverymoon. It wasn't long before trade started, they used their connections with both Dwarves and Wizards to start bringing in weapons and armor and enchanting them to resell for profit.
5. They named a King, who was an NPC that they'd worked closely with in the recent past that they trusted and who was a good man. The kind ruled by vote of the council. With the kingdom well underway, the PCs moved on and continued their adventure to completion.

The gist of it is that a Kingdom needs certain things to start and to flourish. Those things are:

1. Manpower (or goblinpower)
2. Know-how (experts, artisans, politicians, etc...)
3. Goods or services that surrounding kingdoms will want to get their hands on
4. The defenses to make sure that those kingdoms will have to get those goods or services through trade, rather than force
5. Funding. This part is far easier for an adventuring party. In many ways, there is no profession on Faerun that pays as well as adventuring. 100 GP is a fortune to a commoner, and likely a pittance to you. If you have down time in your campaign and some wits about you, generating income from the few thousand gold your party should have by that point is painfully easy. You get some things started to give you cashflow that supplements your adventuring money, which will at first far exceed any downtime revenue, but over time you can build a great deal of capital and assets that make money for you while you're out and about.

Secure those 5 things, take any tips you liked from what my party did, and you should have no trouble at all building a goblin kingdom. Just make sure that you stress steps 4 and 5 enough. As a generally hated race, the first inclination of neighboring kingdoms will be to take things from you, rather than set up relations. You need to have the standing army to make them think twice about that. Money can straight up buy you that army. You'll spend alot of money before you start to see real progress, so step 5 is very important. This isn't going to be cheap. Most of all, have fun! This is one of my favorite things about D&D!

Maxilian
2018-10-01, 03:01 PM
A Kingdom? That will just stamp on the rights of Goblins as much as anything else.

Well if every ones right is trampled, then equality is archived

GlenSmash!
2018-10-01, 03:16 PM
Well if every ones right is trampled, then equality is archived

https://media.makeameme.org/created/help-help-im.jpg

Ninja_Prawn
2018-10-01, 04:17 PM
Ehm, there is no need to do that?

Well it seemed like the OP was counting on being able to take their taxes in gold, since they were planning to use that income to buy things the goblins can't make themselves on the 'international markets'. If that's not the case, they yes, there would be no particular need to establish a market.

Though if we go with that proposal to export goblin mercenaries as a main plank of the goblin economy, I could see it making a lot of sense to accept taxes in food from anyone who's not serving in the mercenary company. An army marches on its stomach!

Moredhel24
2018-10-01, 05:49 PM

So something like the Ferengi Alliance?

GlenSmash!
2018-10-01, 06:09 PM
So something like the Ferengi Alliance?

I don't know. Do the Ferengi take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week?

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-01, 09:06 PM
Well let's start with the simple part: You are not a good character. Keeping in mind that you're playing Storm King's Thunder, a campaign that a group I'm in will likely be finishing in 2-3 sessions (if we decided to even finish the last of the "side questing") I have firsthand knowledge that you've managed to derail the campaign at it's hook. Your actions thus far could be disguised as neutral, but you've occupied a city in it's worst hour and offered the rightful inhabitants their homes back under heavy penalties. You're also planning to resist an action by a lawful group (Lords Alliance) to bring this community back under the control of its rightful inhabitants by potentially allying with a criminal organization (Zhentarim). You're spiralling pretty far down the rabbit hole and if your DM is strict at keeping track of time you might be in some serious trouble.

That said, compared to how this situation normally works out at your table, this game has maintained a playable status and can be worked with. The main plot of Storm King's Thunder may have been set aside for now but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This seems like a fun type of chaos.

I have two recommendations: One is simple, the other decidedly not as simple.

The Simple Solution - Play out your Goblin Empire fantasy until it's foiled or you choose to move on. At this point there's not a whole lot you can do to make this a longstanding thing. Cities don't rise and fall under new leadership in such a short time, and the ones that do (you might learn about them later so I won't name names) cause an extreme shift in the dynamic of the lands. Eventually factions (The Harpers, Zhentarim, Lords Alliance or even a Herd of Giants) will show up at your doorstep and words will fail. Until that day comes you can eek out a comfortable living in your occupied city doing exactly what the Goblins and Orcs were doing before you got there, albeit a bit nicer. If you really luck out you might not be killed by the opposing faction and instead conscripted into that group.

You would need to ally with someone though, these factions aren't known throughout the realms for no reason. They're HUGE deals, if you cause enough of an issue they can make sure you won't continue to be one.

To simplify: Pick a faction to ally with, ride your success until you can feel it slipping away and get out with your head attached. Preferably take a page from Papa Neverember and take some from the top of city funds so you have something to work with later.

The Complex Solution
During the course of your adventures across FR to save the lands from the Giant's you will be given access to an Airship and assuming you defeat the Cloud Giant lord, a flying castle. The castle is immaculate and well fortified. It would keep goblins safe from all non airborne threats. It's also filled with heaps of treasure and valuables to fund any renovations you may need to accommodate small folk as well as food. You even have the opportunity to make powerful allies by capturing this flying castle.

If you've made it this far, it's very likely that you're considered a hero (shockingly) and all those factions that would have kicked you violently out of Nightstone will actually let you keep the Cloud Castle. Even if they don't, at this point they're not as much of a deadly threat.
Short non spoiler version - Dump your current location and go adventuring for a little while, you might find a better opportunity. Take this as a learning experience for your character to have his next kingdom live long and prosper.

Laserlight
2018-10-01, 10:20 PM
Would an alliance with the Zhentarim be enough? We might feasibly get one if we open up trade along the Dessarin River.

I don't know. We left that character and the town, and ran into the Zhent a bit later. My character wanted to get connected with them, but it was fated not to be.

Even if the LA send somebody to be the mayor, I'm guessing they won't want to tramp through miles of goblin-controlled wilderness just to try and get to a walled city on an island in the middle of the river with attached keep, which is also manned by goblins. If they do elect somebody, I'd guess they just become a ruler in name only. I really don't care about that.

If they can get taxes out, they can get a mayor in.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-02, 07:16 AM
Well let's start with the simple part: You are not a good character. Keeping in mind that you're playing Storm King's Thunder, a campaign that a group I'm in will likely be finishing in 2-3 sessions (if we decided to even finish the last of the "side questing") I have firsthand knowledge that you've managed to derail the campaign at it's hook. Your actions thus far could be disguised as neutral, but you've occupied a city in it's worst hour and offered the rightful inhabitants their homes back under heavy penalties. You're also planning to resist an action by a lawful group (Lords Alliance) to bring this community back under the control of its rightful inhabitants by potentially allying with a criminal organization (Zhentarim). You're spiralling pretty far down the rabbit hole and if your DM is strict at keeping track of time you might be in some serious trouble.

That said, compared to how this situation normally works out at your table, this game has maintained a playable status and can be worked with. The main plot of Storm King's Thunder may have been set aside for now but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This seems like a fun type of chaos.

I have two recommendations: One is simple, the other decidedly not as simple.

The Simple Solution - Play out your Goblin Empire fantasy until it's foiled or you choose to move on. At this point there's not a whole lot you can do to make this a longstanding thing. Cities don't rise and fall under new leadership in such a short time, and the ones that do (you might learn about them later so I won't name names) cause an extreme shift in the dynamic of the lands. Eventually factions (The Harpers, Zhentarim, Lords Alliance or even a Herd of Giants) will show up at your doorstep and words will fail. Until that day comes you can eek out a comfortable living in your occupied city doing exactly what the Goblins and Orcs were doing before you got there, albeit a bit nicer. If you really luck out you might not be killed by the opposing faction and instead conscripted into that group.

You would need to ally with someone though, these factions aren't known throughout the realms for no reason. They're HUGE deals, if you cause enough of an issue they can make sure you won't continue to be one.

To simplify: Pick a faction to ally with, ride your success until you can feel it slipping away and get out with your head attached. Preferably take a page from Papa Neverember and take some from the top of city funds so you have something to work with later.

The Complex Solution
During the course of your adventures across FR to save the lands from the Giant's you will be given access to an Airship and assuming you defeat the Cloud Giant lord, a flying castle. The castle is immaculate and well fortified. It would keep goblins safe from all non airborne threats. It's also filled with heaps of treasure and valuables to fund any renovations you may need to accommodate small folk as well as food. You even have the opportunity to make powerful allies by capturing this flying castle.

If you've made it this far, it's very likely that you're considered a hero (shockingly) and all those factions that would have kicked you violently out of Nightstone will actually let you keep the Cloud Castle. Even if they don't, at this point they're not as much of a deadly threat.
Short non spoiler version - Dump your current location and go adventuring for a little while, you might find a better opportunity. Take this as a learning experience for your character to have his next kingdom live long and prosper.

Okay, first I just want to ask a question.

How in the Nine Hells are you planning to finish SKT in three sessions? Do you play for, like, ten hours straight?

The campaign is, I'm pretty sure, supposed to take several months (at least) of weekly two-hour sessions (which is what our table plays), so I'm confused by your claims that you'll be done in two or three sessions. Unless you've already done most of it, and you only have another couple chapters to complete?

Secondly, no, I haven't derailed the campaign in the slightest. We're still questing, filling all the chapters, and traveling all over the Sword Coast. Also, your claims that what I'm doing is evil might be genuine, but your evidence doesn't support your claim. You've been confusing "law" with "good".

Thirdly, I'm not staying in Gobzreikh during the campaign. Since I'm going to be all over the place fighting giants and stuff, I'm trying to set it up sustainably in my absence.

Seriously, man, cool it with the accusations. It's like you're trying to, I don't know, prosecute me or something. :smallamused:

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-02, 08:43 AM
Okay, first I just want to ask a question.

How in the Nine Hells are you planning to finish SKT in three sessions? Do you play for, like, ten hours straight?

The campaign is, I'm pretty sure, supposed to take several months (at least) of weekly two-hour sessions (which is what our table plays), so I'm confused by your claims that you'll be done in two or three sessions. Unless you've already done most of it, and you only have another couple chapters to complete?

Secondly, no, I haven't derailed the campaign in the slightest. We're still questing, filling all the chapters, and traveling all over the Sword Coast. Also, your claims that what I'm doing is evil might be genuine, but your evidence doesn't support your claim. You've been confusing "law" with "good".

Thirdly, I'm not staying in Gobzreikh during the campaign. Since I'm going to be all over the place fighting giants and stuff, I'm trying to set it up sustainably in my absence.

Seriously, man, cool it with the accusations. It's like you're trying to, I don't know, prosecute me or something. :smallamused:

First: I didn't say that I started the campaign recently, just that it's finishing soon. I've been playing it for months now.

Second: You've never mentioned anything about having left the city, as far as I noticed. With the knowledge that you're going to be leaving the city (presumably with less competent defenders than yourself) your DM should realistically have had it taken back and put back under the control of the Lords Alliance or Zhentarim. I know your group dynamic, so that's not going to happen, but these factions outnumber you and outgun you. Your actions are neither lawful or good, I haven't confused either because you are neither.

Third: I prefaced this with saying that it's not an issue and I'm glad this campaign hasn't nosedived like your last few campaigns, even though you're once again going down a non good character route.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-02, 09:01 AM
First: I didn't say that I started the campaign recently, just that it's finishing soon. I've been playing it for months now.

Okay, that's fair.

Second: You've never mentioned anything about having left the city, as far as I noticed. With the knowledge that you're going to be leaving the city (presumably with less competent defenders than yourself) your DM should realistically have had it taken back and put back under the control of the Lords Alliance or Zhentarim. I know your group dynamic, so that's not going to happen, but these factions outnumber you and outgun you. Your actions are neither lawful or good, I haven't confused either because you are neither.

Were you reading the campaign thread?

We actually only spent a day or two in Nightstone. We've currently gone to Goldenfields (DM fiat to further the plotline disguised as a diplomatic mission), and are now drawn mostly into the SKT plotline. I'm just wondering how I can try to keep the kingdom afloat, by communicating with underlings while I'm away.

Not a great model for a government, I know.

Third: I prefaced this with saying that it's not an issue and I'm glad this campaign hasn't nosedived like your last few campaigns, even though you're once again going down a non good character route.

I just don't see the "non-good" character route. Sorry, I just don't quite understand (aside from the elf-orc fiasco) what I've done that could be perceived from an unbiased (I know you're going to say that I'm not unbiased) source as evil.

I've galvanized goblin raiders into an organized, less violent society, am attempting to turn them against their previous subservience and disregard for civilized life, freed a bunch of prisoners that would otherwise have been eaten as a spectacle for the obviously evil previous goblin ruler and sent them back to their village, which is currently being reconstructed by us, and am currently making economic alliances with nearby cities.

How is that non-good?

Unoriginal
2018-10-02, 04:08 PM
I just don't see the "non-good" character route. Sorry, I just don't quite understand (aside from the elf-orc fiasco) what I've done that could be perceived from an unbiased (I know you're going to say that I'm not unbiased) source as evil.

You're planning to create a bogus religion to keep the masses subservient and ask mobsters for help.

Also, just to you say, having a bogus god in FR is a Big Deal, especially for the afterlife.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-02, 04:53 PM
You're planning to create a bogus religion to keep the masses subservient and ask mobsters for help.

Also, just to you say, having a bogus god in FR is a Big Deal, especially for the afterlife.

Blibdoolpoolp?

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-02, 10:40 PM
Were you reading the campaign thread?

We actually only spent a day or two in Nightstone. We've currently gone to Goldenfields (DM fiat to further the plotline disguised as a diplomatic mission), and are now drawn mostly into the SKT plotline. I'm just wondering how I can try to keep the kingdom afloat, by communicating with underlings while I'm away.

Not a great model for a government, I know.

I've galvanized goblin raiders into an organized, less violent society, am attempting to turn them against their previous subservience and disregard for civilized life, freed a bunch of prisoners that would otherwise have been eaten as a spectacle for the obviously evil previous goblin ruler and sent them back to their village, which is currently being reconstructed by us, and am currently making economic alliances with nearby cities.

How is that non-good?

I did read the campaign thread, a few nitpicks about that though.
-The actual campaign thread doesn't mention anything about a new settlement, I assumed it was Nightstone that you had subjugated. There's simply a throwaway line about a newly formed civilization to ally with Goldenfields, no mention of location.
-If in fact you've already left a settlement without it's leader just days after founding it, your chances of success in keeping it maintained are significantly lower than I first thought
-There's a few very important parts to the start of this campaign that your DM decided not to use that gives you context and motivation for adventuring, likely thrown to the wayside to allow you to play around with city building instead (This isn't a bad thing, play your game how you want) but it does lead me to believe that you are ignorant of how far off book this city building might send you (Again, not a bad thing)

As for the non-good character thing, you admitted yourself that your plan to maintain order in the city is to start a false religion or bribe people. That's not automatically evil, but it's not good.

You're also maintaining a bargain with a nearby city where you get a rather large amount of food, thousands of pounds of food. All you have to do on your end is not raid them, defend them from invasion if you feel like it as well as giving them spoils from your pillaging and raiding.

Whoever signed this agreement on behalf of Goldenfields might need to be removed from their station because they've contracted bandits into the city militia and are condoning raids on neighboring settlements. Even the best case scenario paints you as a group who has taken a bribe from a struggling city to not raid and pillage them.

I'm sure you left out the part when you rescued Nightstones residents that the Elves who chased you out of town are the only reason they have a home to return to seeing as you were more than willing to occupy Nightstone with a marauding, bloodthirsty evil tribe of orcs, but the discussion was done to death in your last thread on how the DM had played both the elves and orcs completely out of character.

To reiterate again though: Your game is still playable, none of the players are unhappy and you're having fun. That means it's going well and I'm glad that it is after the previous trainwreck you shared with us. Don't misunderstand my saying that your character isn't as good aligned as you say they are as me telling you that the campaign has gone in a terrible direction. I just don't want to see you defending your characters evil actions again, as the last time you went down that path the campaign was ruined.

Be aware of those decisions and try to work them into character development. Maybe farther down the line Krangjag will see that trying to build a goblin tribe around a false god and pillaging is exactly the same thing all those bugbears he hates would do, and exactly the sort of thing those "racist" elves and humans expect from him.

to a mouse
2018-10-04, 04:42 AM
Goblin Diplomacy

Oh Forgotten Realms campaign, sword coast well then look at your history of the realms for allies. Quick remainder, Murann and its horde is surviving after 4E, to what extent is still to be decide around the mountain range of Small Teeth, my understanding is that the Trade Way has been abandoned due to these incidents. There looking for allies surrounded by Amn (might is right) expansionist policy, The Wealdath ,Tethyr Forest is basically druid and independent in all but name (enemy of my enemy is my meat shield), Tethyr (get them off of me), is hampered by the Calimshan civil war and the intrusion of Bane's zealots from Mintar.

There 's your allied goblin, orc ,ogre society based around the port city of Murann, think Freeport modules piracy, convoy insurance and traders needing allies and hey you up there north on the sword coast looking for allies, go get then, use your player skill. Amn is rich and I mean stinking rich and they have some nasty view on expansionist colonial policy, indenture and poor innocent goblins.

And on the mote about gold, well do what players do loot pillage and crowbar your way round a dungeon or two and I mean loot, doors, furnishing anything and everything can all be used by a goblin society on the upwards trajectory. As a suggestion think of Forge of Fury 5e, your goblins attacking a hostile dragon cultist holdout, that been attacking poor human farmsteads just spin the story to your favour, its all gold.

the_brazenburn
2018-10-04, 06:42 AM
As for the non-good character thing, you admitted yourself that your plan to maintain order in the city is to start a false religion or bribe people. That's not automatically evil, but it's not good.

Fair enough. I'd still be hesitant to call that evil, but no need to quibble over that.

You're also maintaining a bargain with a nearby city where you get a rather large amount of food, thousands of pounds of food. All you have to do on your end is not raid them, defend them from invasion if you feel like it as well as giving them spoils from your pillaging and raiding.

Whoever signed this agreement on behalf of Goldenfields might need to be removed from their station because they've contracted bandits into the city militia and are condoning raids on neighboring settlements. Even the best case scenario paints you as a group who has taken a bribe from a struggling city to not raid and pillage them.

Ivor left a few details out of the contract. We've also declared that we won't raid any settlement that does business with Goldenfields (basically any city over a thousand people anywhere in the Sword Coast) and we are paying a fair percentage of our taxed income to them in exchange for all the food. But yes, it's slightly coercive.

Be aware of those decisions and try to work them into character development. Maybe farther down the line Krangjag will see that trying to build a goblin tribe around a false god and pillaging is exactly the same thing all those bugbears he hates would do, and exactly the sort of thing those "racist" elves and humans expect from him.

Maybe he will!