PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder:How should I go about improving the quality of my mercenary road patrols?

MonkeySage
2018-10-01, 08:51 AM
Over a year ago, we encountered a group of bandits and managed to track them back to their base. We didn't kill them, though. We warned them not to mess with us. Later I came back to them by myself, unarmed, and worked out a deal with their leader Steve. If I paid their bounties off, they would not only cease their banditry, but they'd also work for me under the newly established Darklass Company. I worked out a similar deal with the Lord of a nearby city: He could give criminals in his prison the option of joining the Darklass Company as a way to pay their debts off, alternative to dying in a dungeon or at the end of a rope.
I established the Darklass Company to help protect the roads on my trade routes, and to protect my caravans. I pay Captain Steve a retainer of 1000 gp per month, and some of that goes into the salaries of the mercenaries.
The problem is that by design, this company is made up almost entirely of criminals and former bandits.Well behaved criminals and former bandits, but nevertheless it makes travellers on my trade routes feel uneasy. The roads have never been safer, but my employees still have a reputation they may never get rid of.
Steve has been really good at his job and I don't want to get rid of my current mercs, but over time I would like to improve the quality and reputation of the company.

hamishspence
2018-10-01, 10:00 AM
Maybe play up the "poacher turned gamekeeper" thing - emphasising that ex-bandits make the best bandit-hunters. Perhaps having them tell (somewhat bowdlerised) stories of their banditry.

Geddy2112
2018-10-01, 10:57 AM
Maybe play up the "poacher turned gamekeeper" thing - emphasizing that ex-bandits make the best bandit-hunters.

It takes one to know one is not just a literary trope, but a way the world works. District Attorneys and prosecutors turning defense attorneys, cops becoming PI's/lawyers, users becoming sales reps, and countless more.

Don't hide the fact that your mercs have a dark past, sell it. It is the defining feature that gives your mercs an edge. They act like bandits, think like bandits, and operate like bandits. It takes predators to hunt predators. Shepherds don't protect their flock from wolves with trained sheep, they use domesticated wolves in the form of dogs. Extra sell that they are "domesticated", truly redeemed criminals. Offenders deemed too dangerous or irredeemably monstrous are not even considered, and the vetting process is rigorous. Likewise, they have to work X years to clean the slate and even one mishap and they are either in irons or a noose.

Since you are in pathfinder, there are a fair amount of mechanics to support redeemed criminals. They can take oaths to lawful and/or good deities. Cavaliers of the order of the penitent are specifically chosen from redeemed criminals. Magic like geas can force people to change their behavior and can be taken on voluntarily. Even a simple detect alignment spell can determine if they are lawful and/or good. Not that these can't be beaten or negated. Also, not to get into an alignment debate but lawful people are generally less likely to suddenly break a lawful order from legitimate authority. Good people are unlikely to be murderous highway bandits.