PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Max'd Rage

liquidformat
2018-10-01, 12:55 PM
So I was wondering what the most forms of rage people can come up with. So far I think the following is a pretty good contender:

Human with 2 flaws (Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Fortitude, Destructive Rage, Intimidating rage) Avenger Druid 5 (wild shaped into a dire badger)/Barbarian 1(whirling frenzy&pounce)/Fist of the Forest 3/ Frenzied Berserker 1

That gives me Rage from Druid, rage from dire badger, whirling frenzy from barb, feral trance from FoF, and frenzy from FB. Sadly I don't think enrage animal work. Any thoughts on ways to add more rage?

daremetoidareyo
2018-10-01, 12:57 PM
So I was wondering what the most forms of rage people can come up with. So far I think the following is a pretty good contender:

Human with 2 flaws (Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Fortitude, Destructive Rage, Intimidating rage) Avenger Druid 5 (wild shaped into a dire badger)/Barbarian 1(whirling frenzy&pounce)/Fist of the Forest 3/ Frenzied Berserker 1

That gives me Rage from Druid, rage from dire badger, whirling frenzy from barb, feral trance from FoF, and frenzy from FB. Sadly I don't think enrage animal work. Any thoughts on ways to add more rage?

If you cast aspect of the wolf first, your type changes to animal, and then you are a legal Target for enrage animal

Falontani
2018-10-01, 01:00 PM
a level of berserk from Deities and Demigods gives another form of rage
Frostrager is another class that boosts your rage
If you don't go human but instead go Shifter they have their Shifting which is akin to a rage

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-01, 01:13 PM
Have someone cast curse of lycanthropy (dire badger) on you, as well as for any other animals that gain rage, or gain lycanthropy ye olde fashionede waye.

You could also be an anthropomorphic animal for it, as well.

And polymorph/metamorphosis/shapechange/etc.

Maat Mons
2018-10-01, 04:42 PM
I'm too lazy to go through my own notes, but here (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=176).

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-01, 04:50 PM
Wildrunner adds Primal Scream, which refers to itself as a type of frenzy.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-03, 03:23 AM
Anthropomorphic Wolverine Weredirebadger?

Saintheart
2018-10-03, 03:28 AM
Cleric 1 with the Wrath domain out of Forgotten Realms gets a Rage ability.

Goaty14
2018-10-03, 07:01 AM
Are you sure merely wildshaping into a dire badger gets you rage? Wildshape doesn't grant (Ex) abilities without enhance wild shape, IIRC.

Thurbane
2018-10-03, 05:25 PM
The Gutworm symbiont (FF) can grant Rage to it's host at will, 4 rounds at a time, with no fatigue afterwards.

If it were an NPC, the Tainted Raver template (HoH) has a Perpetual Rage ability.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-03, 06:05 PM
You could always be a soccer mom. Or better yet, a hockey mom.

Ruethgar
2018-10-04, 10:40 AM
Kyber’s Rage or Fury and Reckless Rage feats will boost your rages and how they are worded it is possible to only take the -4 AC. On a recent character I went with the Dex based rage with those two to get all three stat boosts. Also, the Passion Domain power attained from one of the Planar Touchstones(can’t recall which) and Extend Rage can potentially give you another source. Might be a touch cheesey if you are say using 0 rounds of your domain power and adding 5 rounds to that.

lylsyly
2018-10-04, 12:20 PM
You could always be a soccer mom. Or better yet, a hockey mom.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed one. Where I am it's the Little League Moms, Especially the T-ballers. I wouldn't let my Army D.I. talk to me the way some of these Moms talk to their kids.

Back on Topic: I know Wolverine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolverine.htm) was mentioned but ...

Rage (Ex (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#extraordinaryAbilities))A wolverine that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dead). It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Maybe not such a good thing!

ericgrau
2018-10-04, 08:48 PM
If I played this barbarian, I'd wear a monocle and have the most peaceful gentlemanly personality. Then upon raging off flies the monocle and out spews the unlimited anger and profanity. I'd carry a bag of spare monocles.

ShurikVch
2018-10-05, 07:58 AM
Bloodclaw Master (Tome of Battle): Shifting
Corrupt Avenger (Heroes of Horror): Sworn Foe
Fist of the Forest (Complete Champion): Feral Trance
Outcast Champion (Races of Destiny): Desperate Fury

Polymorph/Wild Shape/Lycanthropy/etc - Carcass Eater (Libris Mortis): Blood Frenzy

White Dragon Lineage (Dragon Magic)

Spells:
Burning Rage (Player's Handbook II)
Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (Dragon Magic)

Demonhair Shirt (Dragon #356): spend two uses of Rage to get Demonic Fury (+6 profane to Str, +2 profane to AC, +10 profane to speed; all weapon count as Chaotic; suffer 2 points of nonlethal damage per round)

Twurps
2018-10-06, 12:49 PM
Bear warrior (CW) deserves an honorable mention. Doesn't grant rage, but turns existing rage into 'Bear form (su)'.

JyP
2018-10-08, 09:46 AM
Sláine D20 laughs at rage and propose Warp Spasm instead !

The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tangle of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage.

Thurbane
2018-10-08, 04:26 PM
There used to be rules for riastarthae in the 2E Celts Campaign Sourcebook. It gave +2 Str, 2 extra HP/level, and +1 AC/level. He could not stay out of combat, and may attack allies if no enemies were near enough. He lost 5 points of Str after the state ended.

Is there really a d20 Slaine? If so, color me interested!

Zaq
2018-10-08, 11:19 PM
Sláine D20 laughs at rage and propose Warp Spasm instead !

The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tangle of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage.

Been a while since I've read about (arguably) one of the original descriptions of Rage. Forgotten just how grody it was to contemplate, though, what with the various internal organs playing peekaboo in his throat and stuff. I'ma just leave this here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/formofDoom.htm).

Saintheart
2018-10-09, 12:16 AM
Something hiding away in the WOTC Archives! (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030627a)

War Paint of Primal Rage: This magical war paint typically comes in a ceramic jar that contains 5 doses. When a dose is applied to a creature's face, the magic of the warpaint bolsters the creature's convictions and beliefs, granting a +2 bonus to Will saves for 1 hour.

As a free action, the wearer of the war paint can opt to enter a primal rage similar in many ways to a barbarian's rage. While in a primal rage, the character gains incredible strength and agility, and her features grow feral and bestial. The character gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Dexterity, and her base movement rate doubles. Spellcasting is impossible while in a primal rage, and for the duration of the primal rage, the character suffers a -4 penalty to all Charisma-based skill checks. The primal rage persists for 5 rounds, after which the character becomes fatigued (-2 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of that encounter. The war paint fades when the primal rage ends.

Caster Level: 7th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Iron Will, emotion; Market Price: 2,800 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

JyP
2018-10-09, 02:31 AM
There used to be rules for riastarthae in the 2E Celts Campaign Sourcebook. It gave +2 Str, 2 extra HP/level, and +1 AC/level. He could not stay out of combat, and may attack allies if no enemies were near enough. He lost 5 points of Str after the state ended.

Is there really a d20 Slaine? If so, color me interested!
There certainly is, I have some books at home : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sl%C3%A1ine:_The_Roleplaying_Game_of_Celtic_Heroes

I even wrote some comparison between Slaine D20 and Rune RPG a long time ago ^^