PDA

View Full Version : Can v-human stack with Dragonmark from Eberron?

trctelles
2018-10-01, 08:34 PM
I was reading the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron out of boredom, and an idea came to mind: is it ALLOWED, by RAW or RAI (And YES, I know Eberron is still playtest material) to a v-human have a Dragonmark and have all the bonuses combined?

By my understanding of the rules, when you choose V-Human you give up the "Ability Score Increase of +1 to all stats", and instead gain "Ability Score Increase of +1 in two ability scores", the feat and the skill.
I'll use the Mark of Sentinel in this example: you lose the +1 from all stats from human, and gain +1 to STR and WIS and a +1 to anything else you want, Sentinel Intuition, Sentinel's Shield and Vigilant Guardian. The text say you lose the "Ability Score Increase" trait given in the PHB. Well, V-Human also states that you lose it, but gain it again in the form of +1 for 2 ability scores.

Anyway, AFAIK, it SHOULD be possible to do it, since the text seem to allow it, but it would just make choosing V-Human even stronger...
Am I delusional, or is it even possible?

Lord Vukodlak
2018-10-01, 08:43 PM
I was reading the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron out of boredom, and an idea came to mind: is it ALLOWED, by RAW or RAI (And YES, I know Eberron is still playtest material) to a v-human have a Dragonmark and have all the bonuses combined?

By my understanding of the rules, when you choose V-Human you give up the "Ability Score Increase of +1 to all stats", and instead gain "Ability Score Increase of +1 in two ability scores", the feat and the skill.
I'll use the Mark of Sentinel in this example: you lose the +1 from all stats from human, and gain +1 to STR and WIS and a +1 to anything else you want, Sentinel Intuition, Sentinel's Shield and Vigilant Guardian. The text say you lose the "Ability Score Increase" trait given in the PHB. Well, V-Human also states that you lose it, but gain it again in the form of +1 for 2 ability scores.

Anyway, AFAIK, it SHOULD be possible to do it, since the text seem to allow it, but it would just make choosing V-Human even stronger...
No v-human replaces normal human traits. Dragon Mark also replace his normal human traits. They are mutually exclusive sub races.

Unoriginal
2018-10-02, 05:16 AM
No v-human replaces normal human traits. Dragon Mark also replace his normal human traits. They are mutually exclusive sub races.

This. Same way you can't be a Wood Elf and a Dragonmark Elf at the same time, in term of game mechanics.

Xaryo
2018-10-02, 09:30 AM
take the aberrant mark feat.
for my homebrew campagn, i will be using that mechanic to imbue on my players specials powers they will discover one day

Unoriginal
2018-10-02, 11:19 AM
for my homebrew campagn, i will be using that mechanic to imbue on my players specials powers they will discover one day

You can do that with Boons, too.

Tetrasodium
2018-10-02, 11:49 AM

Thge question has already been answered, but I wanted to add in, the wayfinders (sub)races are races themselves. Dragonmarked humanoids in eberron are the magical evolution of humanoids akin to how hellhounds/blink dogs/winter wolves etc are of dogs & wolves, not yet speciated (and maybe never will) but definitely the first steps towards a new race that has not yet gone far enough to be unable to breed with unmarked individuals

Personally I'm disappointed that the eberron ALPG did not explicitly remove variant human from the allowed subraces & won't be allowing it at my table. No there is nothing wrong with variant human, it's just too shiny & being able to bring a multiple feat dependent concept like PAM+Sentinel+GWM online at 4/6/8 when others are just getting their first/second feat brings back the old 3.5 issue with combat disparity between 1/1 & 1/3 or 1/2 BaB classes where in order to challenge the varia t human, it needs to be able to mop the floor with the lessmultiplicative feat loaded characters.

Tetrasodium
2018-10-02, 11:54 AM

the feat version of true marks is likely to be included in morgraves miscellany later this month or so. True marks & aberrant marks are pretty different, I'm not sure I'd allow someone to take an aberrant mark feat to get the benefits of a true mark's dragonmark focus items. That goes double for the racial benefits of the dragonmarked subrace. To be honest, I'm leaning towards "tot a chance" unless someone could make an extremely convincing case