PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer-mimic of Dragon Shaman

Eagle4Life
2018-10-01, 10:43 PM
Hello, there.

While searching forums for Dragon Shaman optimization help, I came across an interesting idea: a Sorcerer whose abilities/ACF's/feats make it resemble a DS.

The author gave several starting points, such as Draconic feats like Heritage, Wings (and Improved), Claws, etc., with potential CC'ing into Dragon Devotee or Abjurant Champion for different play styles.

Is this idea viable? Is it too outlandish for the average DM? I am open to any constructive criticism.

Nifft
2018-10-02, 12:47 AM
Playing a thematic Sorcerer seems perfectly fine.

"Dragon Sorcerer" as a theme is particularly well supported, so there's not much need to re-fluff. Even with no feats, you can get many of the Dragon Shaman features as spells -- with feat support, you can get things like a scaling breath weapon somewhat earlier.

A few things might be a stretch for a DM -- like if you wanted the Vigor draconic aura from the Draconic Aura feat -- but overall it's pretty unobjectionable.

One thing I'll note is that you mention claws as a Dragon Shaman emulation, but I don't see any claws in the Dragon Shaman class feature list. I know there are plenty of ways to get claws on a Sorcerer, if you want them, of course -- it just seems like it's not necessary if your goal is to appear to be a DS.

Finally, I'm not sure how you can easily emulate Touch of Vitality by being a Sorcerer. Was that addressed in the other thread?

Eagle4Life
2018-10-02, 08:05 AM
Sorry, probably should have said that the Draconic Claws were for the swift action when casting.

The Stalwart Sorcerer (for hp and martial prof) and Dragonblood Sorcerer (familiar for Dragonblood and +2 on Arcana checks) ACFs were mentioned, though I don't know much about those.

Eagle4Life
2018-10-02, 03:09 PM
Sorry, probably should have said that the Draconic Claws were for the swift action when casting.

I guess the Draconic template could also work as a way to get Claws, despite the LA. Unless those Claws are lower damage than the feat.

Nifft
2018-10-02, 04:36 PM
I came across an interesting idea: a Sorcerer whose abilities/ACF's/feats make it resemble a DS.

I guess the Draconic template could also work as a way to get Claws, despite the LA. Unless those Claws are lower damage than the feat.

I think you need to figure out if you want a Dragon Sorcerer (with claws of some type), or a Dragon Shaman Sorcerer (which has auras and uses weapons).

Both seem viable, but they're not the same thing.

Anyway, in service of either, you may want to take 4 levels of Dragonheart Mage (from Races of the Dragon), which gets you 3 [Draconic] feats at the cost of one level of spellcasting. This is normally a bad trade but if you want a lot of [Draconic] feats it's a quick way to pick some up, including Draconic Breath which seems central to both of your concepts.

Thurbane
2018-10-02, 05:24 PM
Finally, I'm not sure how you can easily emulate Touch of Vitality by being a Sorcerer. Was that addressed in the other thread?

Not ideal, but the Stigmata feat (BoED) vaguely fits.

There are a handful of Sor/Wiz spells that can heal others (Healing Touch etc.).

Eagle4Life
2018-10-02, 09:41 PM
I think you need to figure out if you want a Dragon Sorcerer (with claws of some type), or a Dragon Shaman Sorcerer (which has auras and uses weapons).

Definitely a Dragon Shaman Sorcerer. I was attempting to explain the post (I'm new enough to not have link posting privileges).

I also think Dragonborn is a possibility for me. I don't mind the backstory, I get a breath weapon or wings (one less feat I have to take). I can choose what type (not restricted by Heritage) I want it to be.

Eagle4Life
2018-10-03, 07:43 AM
Anyway, in service of either, you may want to take 4 levels of Dragonheart Mage (from Races of the Dragon), which gets you 3 [Draconic] feats at the cost of one level of spellcasting. This is normally a bad trade but if you want a lot of [Draconic] feats it's a quick way to pick some up, including Draconic Breath which seems central to both of your concepts.

So, I either take 4 levels of Dragonheart Mage (for more of a Dragon Shaman Sorcerer vibe) or I take 6 levels of Dragon Devotee followed by 4 levels of Abjurant Champion (for more of a Dragon Shaman Sorcerer vibe). Is that correct?

Also, the levels described for Dragon Devotee and Abjurant Champion was part of the post I am referencing. Several feats, such as Improved Initiative, Combat Casting, Daunting Presence, Extend Spell, and Persistent Spell were to be taken during these levels.

Nifft
2018-10-03, 11:33 AM
So, I either take 4 levels of Dragonheart Mage (for more of a Dragon Shaman Sorcerer vibe) or I take 6 levels of Dragon Devotee followed by 4 levels of Abjurant Champion (for more of a Dragon Shaman Sorcerer vibe). Is that correct? No, really no.

Dragon Devotee is a 5 level class -- you can't take 6 levels of it.

Dragon Devotee gives you the Draconic template (including claws) which is not related to the Dragon Shaman class.

Abjurant Champion is a great 5-level class (not 4), but it's got basically nothing to do with Dragon Shaman. It's just a great little gish class.

Also, the levels described for Dragon Devotee and Abjurant Champion was part of the post I am referencing. Several feats, such as Improved Initiative, Combat Casting, Daunting Presence, Extend Spell, and Persistent Spell were to be taken during these levels.

Dragon Shaman class:
- breath weapon in combat
- auras
- a few wonky spell-like abilities
- healing
- melee weapon user; modest armor and shield expected

Sorcerer class:
- with Draconic Heritage feat, can take Draconic Breath to get a breath weapon
- with (Dragonblood) subtype, can take Draconic Aura to get a scaling aura
- with basic Sorcerer casting, you can easily surpass the wonky spell-like ability
- healing?
- melee?

Eagle4Life
2018-10-05, 09:00 AM

I could take the Draconic Power feat if I was worried about spell caster level. Also, Dragonborn allows me to get Breath or Wings without need of feats.

Thurbane
2018-10-05, 05:25 PM
There are a handful of Sor/Wiz spells that can heal others (Healing Touch etc.).

There's also Synostodweomer spell that converts other spells to healing energy.

Caduceus Bracers can mimic some of the effects of Touch of Vitality, but you need some form of healing measured in points/day to be able to use them.

Zaq
2018-10-05, 10:11 PM
It's hella kludgy, but for the healing component, you could potentially use a Sacred Exorcist dip plus a feat that burns TU uses for healing (Sacred Healing, Healing Devotion, or I thought there was at least one other)? Not really the most elegant way to go about things, but it should technically work if you've got a way around the prereqs.