PDA

View Full Version : Which OOTS book should I buy next?

Firestar27
2007-09-16, 09:55 PM
I have recently bought On the Origin of PCs and I have to say that I love the book. I'm planning on buying another book soon (or, I will likely decide on a book and buy it in many months). What book should I buy? Start of Darkness is currently unread OOTS strips, but it is likely that it will not be as funny as the main strip, just like OTOOPCs. (It wasn't a gag per page so the funny per page ratio was lowered, and combine that with less pages than a normal compilation). However, I already read the online strips from any of the compilation books. Which should I buy, SoD or a compilation book? And if I should buy a compilation book, than which one?
Also, is the commentary by the Giant in the compilation books similar to the intro of OTOOPCs? Because the intro to OTOOPCs wasn't so much funny and informative as I expected it to be.
Also, if it seems like I didn't like OTOOPCs, then that impression is wrong. I loved it. It was just slightly less funny than the main strip.

SteveMB
2007-09-16, 10:06 PM
I have recently bought On the Origin of PCs and I have to say that I love the book. I'm planning on buying another book soon (or, I will likely decide on a book and buy it in many months). What book should I buy? Start of Darkness is currently unread OOTS strips, but it is likely that it will not be as funny as the main strip, just like OTOOPCs. (It wasn't a gag per page so the funny per page ratio was lowered, and combine that with less pages than a normal compilation). However, I already read the online strips from any of the compilation books. Which should I buy, SoD or a compilation book? And if I should buy a compilation book, than which one?
Also, is the commentary by the Giant in the compilation books similar to the intro of OTOOPCs? Because the intro to OTOOPCs wasn't so much funny and informative as I expected it to be.
Also, if it seems like I didn't like OTOOPCs, then that impression is wrong. I loved it. It was just slightly less funny than the main strip.

The compilation volumes include considerably more commentary (a page or so at the beginning of each major section of the story) than the two prequel volumes. The compilations also include a scattering of bonus comics (entertaining sideline incidents not included in the online comic, nice but not essential for understanding the story).

Start of Darkness is like OtOoPCs in that it's paced as a graphic novel, not necessarily having a gag (or dramatic point) per page. Also, it's fairly dark in tone (not that it isn't also funny, because it is, but the impression I get is that you would prefer a higher joke-to-page ratio).

phobiandarkmoon
2007-09-17, 03:38 AM
Agreed, but I do have to say that I enjoyed SoD about 10 times more than origins, because the story of Xykon and, more importantly, Redcloak is so much more dark, tragic and interesting than extra strips and commentary can do for you.

Of course, the appropriate answer is all of them, but I'll assume you're strapped for cash :)

Taghor
2007-09-17, 04:08 AM
I would recommend SOD cause it has a continous soryline and not so many sideplots as in OTOOPCs which need to get connected.
It is one story with some unexpected twists.

I really enjoyed it. I would recommend to buy all 4 books, but start with SOD next and then get the compillations.

Taghor

Ancalagon
2007-09-17, 04:12 AM
SoD is big storytelling. Different than the comic in style (dark, tells a story with another pace), my recommendation: Buy it. Now!

Best storytelling since Babylon 5, I say.

Jasdoif
2007-09-17, 04:15 AM
Dungeon Crawlin' Fools has a bonus strip that's appropriately titled "Schrodinger's Ninja". How can you go wrong with that? It also has a couple pages of "intro" strips, and the commentary on how OotS started makes for an interesting read.