PDA

View Full Version : Second Sundering , Forgotten Realms , Questions on Role Playing ?

to a mouse
2018-10-02, 05:21 AM
Been out of Role Playing for a while missed the whole of the 4th Edition expansion so a question on role playing the cataclysm events in 1484DR and the start of 5th edition around 1489DR.

So to the point, how does a player evolve the background of the character who lived through these times of change of god/goddess, no arcane magic, spell plague, environmental changes on biblical epic scale into the background. From the Dungeon Master point of view what does this mean for your campaigns either sandbox or module set for your own input ?.

Looking for feedback either positive or negative relating to your point of view on the impact on campaign to character development.

Magzimum
2018-10-02, 06:06 AM
Personally, I pretend that the 2nd Sundering, Spell plague etc. (4th Edition, and transitions to and from 4th edition) never happened. It's far too complicated for me as a DM, and none of my players would even be remotely interested in that unnecessary garbage.

The Forgotten Realms Wiki seems reasonably consistent with itself at this moment, so it can be used as a reference for maps, locations (cities, buildings) and sometimes NPCs. But I make it my own responsibility as the DM to create a story which is consistent with itself, which is interesting, and which does not include too much boring blahblah that will bore players to death.

Unoriginal
2018-10-02, 06:23 AM
Been out of Role Playing for a while missed the whole of the 4th Edition expansion so a question on role playing the cataclysm events in 1484DR and the start of 5th edition around 1489DR.

So to the point, how does a player evolve the background of the character who lived through these times of change of god/goddess, no arcane magic, spell plague, environmental changes on biblical epic scale into the background. From the Dungeon Master point of view what does this mean for your campaigns either sandbox or module set for your own input ?.

Looking for feedback either positive or negative relating to your point of view on the impact on campaign to character development.

Several of the NPCs described in the modules have lived through those events. While it was world-changing, most of them have moved on now, and accept the world has changed.

Keep in mind that the Forgotten Realms are *constantly* under threat of Apocalyps. In the recent years before Waterdeep:Dragon Heist, Tiamat nearly conquered it, the Elemental Evils tried to take over, the dissolution of the Giants' Ordning created massive troubles, the Underdark was invaded by *half a dozen* Demon Princes, and Acerarak used the Death Curse to drain souls on a world-wide scale and nearly created a dead god, not to mention the Night Serpent had a chance to be freed from Faerun's innards.

to a mouse
2018-10-03, 06:36 AM
I try to keep away from the "boring blah blah that will bore players to death", Magzimum and remember that what you mentioned Unoriginal,
" Keep in mind that the Forgotten Realms are *constantly* under threat of Apocalypse". Given me some ideas on a campaign, a 5e Conversion time whiling and moving the it to a different part of Forgotten Realms I post to another thread.

Thanks for your input appreciate your time you taken.