PDA

View Full Version : Find Greater Steed Question: why is the Sabretooth stealthier than the Dire Wolf?

Damon_Tor
2018-10-02, 04:10 PM
Looking at the stat blocks of the options of the Find Greater Steed spell, I'm a bit confused as to why these two creatures have different stealth modifiers: The Sabretoothed Tiger's is +6 and the Dire Wolf's is +6. It makes sense in the sense that Sabretoothed Tigers were ambush predators and Dire Wolves were persistence predators, but I don't see how they get those numbers from their stats. Both have a dex mod of +2, which means the wolf is getting a proficiency bonus of +2 while the tiger is getting +4. Maybe that's due to the difference between their CRs (wolf is CR 1, tiger is CR 2) but if that's the explanation why do they have the same perception modifier?

Crgaston
2018-10-02, 04:17 PM
Because cats are sneakier than dogs?

Mjolnirbear
2018-10-02, 04:28 PM
Because cats don't howl when they are on the hunt?

hymer
2018-10-02, 04:32 PM
Cat stat blocks (inlcuding lions, tigers, and... well, not bears, oh my!) generally get expertise (so x2 proficiency bonus) to their Stealth. Because, as has been said by everyone, they're stealthy. Proverbially so.

holywhippet
2018-10-03, 04:46 AM
Biologically speaking cats can retract their claws and thus only move around with their soft paws touching the ground. Dogs can't do the same and trust me when I say a dog moving over a hard surface with long nails is very audible.

Greywander
2018-10-03, 05:01 AM
trust me when I say a dog moving over a hard surface with long nails is very audible.
"Whoops, I dropped this food on the floor."

clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack sniffsniffgobblesnarf

Arkhios
2018-10-03, 05:08 AM
As mentioned before: Because a sabretooth is a "cat" and a dire wolf is a "dog".

Cats just are naturally more stealthier than dogs.

Zanthy1
2018-10-03, 08:36 AM
"whoops, i dropped this food on the floor."

clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack sniffsniffgobblesnarf

trrruuuutthh

WeaselGuy
2018-10-03, 08:37 AM

that deserves to be sigged...

tieren
2018-10-03, 08:49 AM
I believe the numerical difference in computation could be explained if the designers are giving the cat expertise in stealth, so it gets double to he proficiency bonus.(and that would have no effect on perception).

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-03, 09:25 AM

clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack sniffsniffgobblesnarf Were you in our kitchen last night? :smallbiggrin:
I believe the numerical difference in computation could be explained if the designers are giving the cat expertise in stealth, so it gets double to he proficiency bonus.(and that would have no effect on perception). yes.

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-03, 09:33 AM
Because cats don't howl when they are on the hunt?

Nor do wolves. :smalltongue:

(Unless they're in a Hollywood movie, obviously, in which case they'll bark, howl, growl and basically do everything except actually attacking their prey.)

xroads
2018-10-03, 09:46 AM
Sabretooths are level 9 and so have a higher proficiency bonus. :smallbiggrin:

No but seriously, it's probably just a game balance thing. If memory serves, the advise for creating creatures in the DM's Handbook is much more loose and forgiving than the character creation rules for players.

MaxWilson
2018-10-03, 09:58 AM
Looking at the stat blocks of the options of the Find Greater Steed spell, I'm a bit confused as to why these two creatures have different stealth modifiers: The Sabretoothed Tiger's is +6 and the Dire Wolf's is +6. It makes sense in the sense that Sabretoothed Tigers were ambush predators and Dire Wolves were persistence predators, but I don't see how they get those numbers from their stats. Both have a dex mod of +2, which means the wolf is getting a proficiency bonus of +2 while the tiger is getting +4. Maybe that's due to the difference between their CRs (wolf is CR 1, tiger is CR 2) but if that's the explanation why do they have the same perception modifier?

Some creatures have Expertise, e.g. Goblins have Stealth Expertise, Stone Giants have Athletics Expertise. Apparently the Saber Tooth is one of them.

Mjolnirbear
2018-10-03, 10:04 AM
Nor do wolves. :smalltongue:

(Unless they're in a Hollywood movie, obviously, in which case they'll bark, howl, growl and basically do everything except actually attacking their prey.)

Really? Damn. I usually am pretty good about knowing real VS fake when it comes to animals and movies.

But then I've never (knowingly) been hunted by wolves, so...