PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock "Pact of the Chain Patron". Feedback needed

Alqui
2018-10-02, 04:38 PM
My intention is to do a variant that focuses on the Pact of the Chain, giving it a change. The idea is
probably ver unbalanced, but I wanted some feedback to make it work and that's what I'm here.

It is my first try at doing something like this so take this with a grain of salt please.

Thanks in advance :smile: .

Warlock ("Otherworldly Patron Variant"): Entwined

Linked Beginning
At first level choose a creature between: Quasit, Imp, Gazer, Faerie Dragon, Pixie, Pseudodragon or Sprite, this creature becomes your “bonded companion”.
You must choose Pact of Chain when reaching level 3 in the warlock class.
You can’t have another "permanent” companion" (familiar, steed, animal companion…) but you can have temporary companions, such as with the use of “Beast Bond”, “Conjure Animals” or “Conjure Woodland Beings”.
Your companion is its own being, not a summoned familiar, and as such it can choose not to follow your commands, it can’t be dismissed nor keep it in a pocket dimension.
When you later gain the Pact of The Chain feature, your companion also gains all the benefits of this Pact and the Eldritch Invocations you have. Additionally when you later gain the Pact of the Chain your companion gains Hit Points whenever you gain a warlock level equal to their Hit Dice or half your actual warlock level (rounded down), whichever is higher.
If your companion is ever slain, the magical bond you share allows you to return it to life. With 8 hours of work and the expenditure of 25 gp worth of rare herbs and fine food, you call forth your companion's spirit and use your magic to create a new body for it. You can return your companion to life in this manner even if you do not possess any part of its body. When you later gain the Pact of the Chain, the cost and time are reduced to 18 gp and 2 hours.

Training for Two
At first level you become proficient with medium armor. Additionally you become proficient with 3 martial weapons of your choice or alternatively you can choose to have proficiency with two martial weapons of your choice and the shield.
If your companion doesn’t know common, it learns the ability to read, speak and write common.
When you gain an “Ability Score Improvement”, your companion also gains it.
Your companion can cast warlock cantrips and spells you know whenever it is no further than 60 feet of you and when doing so it uses your warlock spell slots. It can use your modifiers to cast your warlock cantrips and spells and you can use its modifiers to cast your warlock cantrips and spells.
If your companion casts a spell in this way on a round, you can’t cast spells that round that takes the same “type of action” (normal action, bonus action or reaction) and if you casts a spell on a round, your companion can’t cast spells that round that takes the same type of action (normal action, bonus action or reaction), This restriction doesn’t affect natural spellcasting abilities (like “Driudcraft” from pixies).
Any of you both can’t be forced to do any type of harmful nor negative actions against the other.

Combined Tactics
Starting at 6th level you and your companion can change your turns in combat, but any of you can only have one turn for each round.
Additionally when you attack a creature, you can forgo your bonus action to allow your companion to make a bonus action.
If you and your companion are next to one another or in the same square, whenever one of you are attacked, you can use the better AC of any of them to defend from an attack and the better modifiers of one of them for a saving throw.
When you cast a spell targeting yourself, you can also affect your companion with the spell if it is within 50 feet of you. This also works in the opposite direction.
You gain “magic resistance” as long as your companion is no further than 100 feet from you, if your companion doesn’t have magic resistance, it gains this ability.

Link Improvement
At level 10 you and your companion learn the cantrip and spells mentioned below. They count as warlock spells for you and doesn’t count against the total level of spells you know.
• Quasit: Acid Splash, Expeditious Retreat, Ray of Sickness, Blur, Find Traps.
• Imp: Fire Bolt, Charm Person, Magic Missile, Darkness, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm
• Gazer: Ray of Frost, Ray of Sickness, Chaos Bolt, Crown of Madness, Scorching Ray.
• Faerie Dragon: Friends, Faerie Fire, Bane, Pyrotechnics, Silence
• Pixie: Mending, Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Lesser Restoration, Pass without Trace.
• Pseudodragon: Prestidigitation, Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Dragon’s Breath, Mind Spike
• Sprite: Resistance, Alarm, Zephyr Strike, Lesser Restoration, Pass without Trace.

Fight as One
At 14th level, you and your companion can fuse and gain these benefits:
• You gain all the natural abilities of your companion.
• All your types of speeds are doubled and if your companion has any type of movement you don’t have you gain it.
• You gain temporal Hit Points equal to you companions Hit Points.
• All your melee attacks gain extra damage equal to Xd8, where X is a third of your warlock level, rounded up:

- Sprite, Pixie, Pseudodragon and Faerie Dragon: Force or Radiant Damage.
- Imp, Gazer, Quasit: Force or Necrotic Damage.

• You can use your action to create a 15 feet ranged spell attack in a 35 feet radius that does the same damage as the extra damage listed above, this attack works as a physical attack for the attack roll.
• You can forgo your reaction to do an extra action on your turn, this extra action stacks with other types of extra actions.

The fusion lasts 1 hour, can be used twice and has a recharge of 1 hour between uses; you can't do this again until you finish a long rest.
When you separate, the remaining hit points are split as you choose between you and your companion. If you only have 1 HP remaining while fused, both of you have 1 HP when you separate.

ATHATH
2018-10-03, 04:59 AM
Why make this its own Patron? Why not make these abilities a series of invocations with the Pact of the Chain as a requirement for all of them (and level restrictions for the stronger ones).

Where's this Patron's spell list?

At first level choose a creature between: Quasit, Imp, Gazer, Faerie Dragon, Pixie, Pseudodragon or Sprite, this creature becomes your “bonded companion”.
Congratulations, you've given Warlocks access to 4th level spells (and more!) on a daily basis at 1st level.

Same thing with the faerie dragon; you might want to specify that it's permanently locked at the lowest faerie dragon age category. Otherwise, they can throw out Polymorph spells on a daily basis at 1st level too.

You can’t have another "permanent” companion" (familiar, steed, animal companion…)
Why not?

Your companion is its own being, not a summoned familiar, and as such it can choose not to follow your commands, it can’t be dismissed nor keep it in a pocket dimension.
Why?

When you later gain the Pact of The Chain feature, your companion also gains all the benefits of this Pact and the Eldritch Invocations you have. Additionally when you later gain the Pact of the Chain your companion gains Hit Points whenever you gain a warlock level equal to their Hit Dice or half your actual warlock level (rounded down), whichever is higher.
Is this HP increase retroactive? Also, the Warlock is basically getting double the number of uses/day (or other time period) out of their Invocations.

What if you exchange your ASI for a feat? Does your companion's ASI have to be applied to the same score(s)?

If your companion casts a spell in this way on a round, you can’t cast spells that round that takes the same “type of action” (normal action, bonus action or reaction) and if you casts a spell on a round, your companion can’t cast spells that round that takes the same type of action (normal action, bonus action or reaction), This restriction doesn’t affect natural spellcasting abilities (like “Driudcraft” from pixies).
Expect non-spellcasters to dip Warlock for 2 levels to pick up an action-less (on their part) Eldritch Blast (with a +3 to damage on each ray from Agonizing Blast and possibly some riders from other Invocations) that "they" can use every round.

Also, this lets you have two Concentration spells up at once, which is a big no-no in 5e's design.

Any of you both can’t be forced to do any type of harmful nor negative actions against the other.
Why not just use the Charmed condition?

Starting at 6th level you and your companion can change your turns in combat, but any of you can only have one turn for each round.
Why not change this to "Whenever you and your companion both roll for initiative at the beginning of the same combat, you may immediately exchange the results (post-modifiers) of your initiative rolls."?

Additionally when you attack a creature, you can forgo your bonus action to allow your companion to make a bonus action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaotiOp45dg

Just so you know, even though this ability is kind of pointless (unless I'm missing an exploit), getting more than one bonus action per round is also a (less big) no-no in 5e's design (or so I've heard).

Also, why is that only triggerable when you attack something?

When you cast a spell targeting yourself, you can also affect your companion with the spell if it is within 50 feet of you. This also works in the opposite direction.
Oh, so your companion can buff you with personal range buffs while you're doing other things (like fighting) so that you don't have to cast them yourself. Look up the shenanigans that you can do with Find Steed to see what this enables (which might not be all that bad, really).

You gain “magic resistance” as long as your companion is no further than 100 feet from you, if your companion doesn’t have magic resistance, it gains this ability.
This is quite strong. Like, really strong. This shouldn't be given alongside a bunch of other abilities at this level.

At level 10 you and your companion learn the cantrip and spells mentioned below.
Oh, there's the spell list. Why do you get the spells at level 10 instead of level 1? Why do they work like domain spells instead of expanding your spell list like other Warlock Patron spells do?

Fight as One
--snip--

Sweet mother of Liira, that is one of the most ridiculously powerful class abilities I've ever seen. You're getting an Action Surge EVERY ROUND (at the cost of a reaction; this trade is more than worth it), you're getting a Paladin's decently invested Divine Smite on EVERY ATTACK WITHOUT NEEDING TO USE A SPELL SLOT (friendly reminder that dual-wielding and War Cleric dips are things), you're getting NO-CONCENTRATION FLIGHT, and you're effectively DASHING EVERY TURN WITHOUT NEEDING TO USE AN ACTION (or even a bonus action). Admittedly, that last bit is not as impressive as the first two bits, but it still steps on the Rogue's toes (also, there are a couple of lesser abilities that I didn't mention).

YOU GET THIS TWICE PER DAY FOR AN HOUR EACH TIME. AT 14TH LEVEL.

Nerf the everloving !@#$ out of this.

You can use your action to create a 15 feet ranged spell attack in a 35 feet radius that does the same damage as the extra damage listed above, this attack works as a physical attack for the attack roll.
How do you avoid hitting yourself with this?

Zoo wee mama. This thing is way more busted than Lore Wizard and Brute combined. Action economy is an important thing, folks, and making abilities that mess with it is playing with fire.

Alqui
2018-10-03, 04:08 PM
Why make this its own Patron? Why not make these abilities a series of invocations with the Pact of the Chain as a requirement for all of them (and level restrictions for the stronger ones).

That idea never crossed my mind to be honest and it seems good, but I want to try it this way a bit more, if I see it's going nowhere I'll take that piece of advice.

Congratulations, you've given Warlocks access to 4th level spells (and more!) on a daily basis at 1st level.

Same thing with the faerie dragon; you might want to specify that it's permanently locked at the lowest faerie dragon age category. Otherwise, they can throw out Polymorph spells on a daily basis at 1st level too.

Yeah, I see it now. It would be better to remove that aspect of that two or it would be fine making them gain that spells as you level up?

You can’t have another "permanent” companion" (familiar, steed, animal companion…)

Originally I was seeing that from a "lore" perspective, but yeah, thinking it now, it doesn't make that much sense I guess.

This was also done from lore and but also roleplaying perspective,so I don't know how much this would affect the PC in a game.

Is this HP increase retroactive? Also, the Warlock is basically getting double the number of uses/day (or other time period) out of their Invocations.

Regarding the HP: You mean if they gain HP from the "levels ups you had" until level 3? If so, I wanted to specify that the HP gain actually starts when you become warlock level 4, in the level 3 that "ability" is granted, but doesn't "activate".

As for the second part you are completely right about it, at least I should have said that only that are permanently active (like "Eyes of the rune Keeper") are affected by this, I guess that could solve it.

This is my try at making the companion progress wit the PC so they can keep up as the game progresses and that time I saw the problem you are saying and the only solutions I could think of was forcing the companion to take the ASI (make them unable to change it for a feat) or treat them separately so they can aslo change it for a feat but the PC feat will only affect the PC and the companion feat will only affect the companion. What do you think of this two solutions I thought?
I'm not understanding what you are saying at the end of this, sorry.

Expect non-spellcasters to dip Warlock for 2 levels to pick up an action-less (on their part) Eldritch Blast (with a +3 to damage on each ray from Agonizing Blast and possibly some riders from other Invocations) that "they" can use every round.

Also, this lets you have two Concentration spells up at once, which is a big no-no in 5e's design.

Okay, I didn't know about having more than one concentracion spell up. I was trying to blance things making warlocks unable to normally use two spells on a round, although I'm not quite sure if that would be unbalanced.
Maybe make them able to this at higher level instead of level one could be an answer?

Why not just use the Charmed condition?

You mean making them permanently charmed to the other? Again, I'm sorry but i can't get waht you are saying here.

English it's not my "first language", so it could be a hindrance for me when coming to understand some of the things that can be said in this forums, sorry for the problems I could be causing.

Why not change this to "Whenever you and your companion both roll for initiative at the beginning of the same combat, you may immediately exchange the results (post-modifiers) of your initiative rolls."?

This is quite fine, I'll go and change it for this, thanks for the help

Just so you know, even though this ability is kind of pointless (unless I'm missing an exploit), getting more than one bonus action per round is also a (less big) no-no in 5e's design (or so I've heard).

Also, why is that only triggerable when you attack something?

I'll take note of that, thanks. So removing it will be the best then?
As for the attack thing...I actually can't find a good reason now, so yeah, my fault.

Oh, so your companion can buff you with personal range buffs while you're doing other things (like fighting) so that you don't have to cast them yourself. Look up the shenanigans that you can do with Find Steed to see what this enables (which might not be all that bad, really).

Is it that unbalanced? If it's so I'll take it away and try to think something else.

This is quite strong. Like, really strong. This shouldn't be given alongside a bunch of other abilities at this level.

Yeah, I can see it now, maybe make it something like "2 times per long rest you have advantage to spells saves and other magical effects" would make it less broken?

Oh, there's the spell list. Why do you get the spells at level 10 instead of level 1? Why do they work like domain spells instead of expanding your spell list like other Warlock Patron spells do?

Ok, so I did it wrong then. My intention was to make it like other warlock patron spells.
The problem I see is that you have different spells depending of the companion you choose at first, so I don't know how I should write that.

I noticed you didn't mention anything from the spells themselves, that means the spells are fine as they are?

Also it seems I will have to redo the order of features to make it more balanced.

Sweet mother of Liira, that is one of the most ridiculously powerful class abilities I've ever seen. You're getting an Action Surge EVERY ROUND (at the cost of a reaction; this trade is more than worth it), you're getting a Paladin's decently invested Divine Smite on EVERY ATTACK WITHOUT NEEDING TO USE A SPELL SLOT (friendly reminder that dual-wielding and War Cleric dips are things), you're getting NO-CONCENTRATION FLIGHT, and you're effectively DASHING EVERY TURN WITHOUT NEEDING TO USE AN ACTION (or even a bonus action). Admittedly, that last bit is not as impressive as the first two bits, but it still steps on the Rogue's toes (also, there are a couple of lesser abilities that I didn't mention).

YOU GET THIS TWICE PER DAY FOR AN HOUR EACH TIME. AT 14TH LEVEL.

Nerf the everloving !@#$ out of this.

Wow, I really messed up in that one, I'll try to redo it from zero so it makes...sense, in general.

Well, thanks for the feedback, It really helps.
I'll try to upload the revised version of this mess up of a subclass as soon as I can.

Oh, and sorry for the headaches and big amounts of nonsenses, I had only played 3.5e so far so I may be going a bit too far with this, so again, thanks for the help.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-03, 04:18 PM
It is my first try and doing something like this so take this with a grain of salt please.

Please continue to stay polite and constructive, folks.

ATHATH
2018-10-03, 08:05 PM
Please continue to stay polite and constructive, folks.
Was I not in some way?

I'm not understanding what you are saying at the end of this, sorry.
If you use your ASI to, say, increase your STR, can your companion use its ASI to increase its CHA? If so, that's kind of busted when combo'd with the Training for Two ability's "you can use its modifiers to cast your warlock cantrips and spells" clause, allowing you to dump CHA (to either 8 or 13, depending on whether or not you want to multiclass), pick up a base 16 CHA familiar, and boost your familiar's CHA up to 20 while you take feats or boost other stats (like CON). Now you're above even being a SAD (single ability dependent) class- you're now a NAD (no ability dependent) class (kind of like 3.5's Warlocks, actually).

You mean making them permanently charmed to the other? Again, I'm sorry but i can't get waht you are saying here.
The effects of the Charmed condition in this condition are:

A charmed creature can’t Attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful Abilities or magical effects.
The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature.
No more, no less.

Isn't that basically what you want?

Yeah, I can see it now, maybe make it something like "2 times per long rest you have advantage to spells saves and other magical effects" would make it less broken?
Why does it even need to be a thing at all? This subclass is already jam-packed with class features, and pseudodragons and other familiars can already give you Magic Resistance.

The problem I see is that you have different spells depending of the companion you choose at first, so I don't know how I should write that.
But with your subclass, they get their companion at 1st level... Why CAN'T you move this to 1st level?

I noticed you didn't mention anything from the spells themselves, that means the spells are fine as they are?
Nah, I just didn't look at them.

Why do they only go up to second level? Is it to counterbalance you getting them for "free" (spells known-wise)? Why doesn't the quasit's list of spells include any fear-inducing spells?

Pass without Trace is a really powerful spell, and probably shouldn't be on this list of added spells. +10 to Stealth checks is ludicrous in 5e, and it basically makes you auto-succeed on Stealth checks if you've put any investment at all into them.

Why not just have the list of added spells depend on the creature type of the familiar? Use the Fiend's list for Fiends, the Fey's for Fey, the Great Old One's for Aberrations, etc. Make custom lists or something for Dragons, I guess.

Another thing that I've noticed about Combined Tactics: It effectively lets you cast a non-cantrip spell with a casting time of one action AND a spell with a casting time of one bonus action on/in the same turn.

I recommend reading this guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?150609-3-5-Homebrew-Theory-The-Philosophy-of-Creation

I think I might 'brew up some Invocations for this concept later tonight.

Alqui
2018-10-11, 03:23 PM
Hello again, I made a few changes so I feel like showing it here for more feedback to know if I'm going the right path. So, there it is:

Linked Beginning

If you pick the Faerie Dragon or the Pixie, they do not have all their spells from the beginning, instead, they are “unlocked” when reaching certain warlocks levels.

Faerie Dragon:
• Level 1: Dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion
• Level 3: Color spray
• Level 5: Mirror Image
• Level 7: Suggestion
• Level 9: Major Image
• Level 11: Hallucinatory terrain
• Level 13: Polymorph

Pixie:
• Level 1: Dancing lights, Detect Evil and Good, Entangle
• Level 3: Sleep, Phantasmal Force
• Level 5: Detect Thoughts
• Level 7: Fly
• Level 9: Dispel Magic
• Level 11: Confusion
• Level 13: Polymorph

You must choose Pact of Chain when reaching level 3 in the warlock class.

Your companion is its own being, not a summoned familiar, and as such it can choose not to follow your commands, it can’t be dismissed nor keep it in a pocket dimension and you can't choose for it to take a new form.
Your companion is considered a familiar for the purposes of the "Find Fimiliar" spell limitations.
(This is more because of some background reasons I have thought for this subclass but the pocket dimension could be a thing)

When you later gain the “Pact of The Chain” feature, your companion also gains all the benefits of this Pact and the effects of Eldritch Invocations that does not have limitations in their use (like “Eyes of the Rune Keeper” or “Beast Speech” but not the “Bewitching Whispers”). Additionally when you later gain the Pact of the Chain your companion gains Hit Points whenever you gain a warlock level equal to their Hit Dice or half your actual warlock level (rounded down), whichever is higher (the Hit Point increase feature is gained at level 3 so it starts to take effect when you gain the fourth level in the warlock class).

If your companion is ever slain, the magical bond you share allows you to return it to life. With 8 hours of work and the expenditure of 25 gp worth of rare herbs and fine food, you call forth your companion's spirit and use your magic to create a new body for it. You can return your companion to life in this manner even if you do not possess any part of its body. When you later gain the Pact of the Chain, the cost and time are reduced to 18 gp and 2 hours.
The spells list added to your warlock spells for you are determined on the companion you choose.

• Sprite, Pixie: Archfey patron spells
• Imp, Quasit: Fiend patron spells
• Gazer: The Great Old One patron spells
• Faerie Dragon, Pseudodragon:

Absorb Elements, Sleep/Magic Missile (?)
Dragon's Breath, Aid (?)
Fireball, Lightning Bolt
Ice Storm, Watery Sphere
Control Winds, Circle of Power (?)

The general idea is that you have the "real being" instead of a summoned familiar and while having its limitations, it grews alongside you so it becomes more powerful and keeps being reliable through the entire campaign.

As a way to evade giving warlocks spells too powerful from the start I added a "leveled gain" of the spells. The levels at which your companion gains the spells could be changed if necessary.

Specified whattypes of Eldrich Invocations are "shared", so they don't have more uses than the intended.

Added spells to the warlock spell list like a normal patron would. The ones with a (?) means I'm not sure what spells could fit there without feeling repetitive and out of context.
-Sleep: Because of the Sleep Breath of the Brass Dragon
-Magic Missile: I just thought it is a somewhat "simple and basic spell", but not a real reason honestly.
-Aid: Dragons have a good amount of health, so this could be somthing similiar, adding "support utility".
-Circle of Power: Powerful dragons can succeed a few saving rolls automatically, this imitates that.
This were my "reasons" to put this, feel free to recommend others.

Training for Two
At first level you become proficient with medium armor. Additionally you become proficient with 3 martial weapons of your choice or alternatively you can choose to have proficiency with two martial weapons of your choice and the shield.

If your companion doesn’t know common, it learns the ability to read, speak and write common.

When you gain an “Ability Score Improvement”, your companion also gains it. If you choose a feat, your companion must also take a feat, and if you take the ASI, your companion must at least put a point in a characteristic you have improved.

Your companion can cast warlock cantrips and spells you know whenever it is no further than 40 feet of you and when doing so it uses your warlock spell slots. It can use your modifiers to cast your warlock cantrips and spells and you can use its modifiers to cast your warlock cantrips and spells as long as you both are within the 40 feet distance.

However, if you choose to use your companion modifiers to cast your warlock cantrips and spells the modifiers will be limited by your warlock level.
• From level 1 to 3: +1
• From level 4 to 7: +2
• From level 8 to 11: +3
• From level 12 to 15: +4
• From level 16 to 19: +5
• From level 20 and onwards: No limitation.

If you are concentrating in a spell, your companion can’t be concentrating on a spell and if your companion is concentrating in a spell, you can’t be concentrating on a spell.

The same spell or cantrip can’t be casted by you and your companion on the same turn.

You and your companion are charmed to each other permanently.

Specified a bit more the ASI gain for your companion and the modifier bonuses, although I don't know if it is enough to not make it so you end up with a "Non Ability Dependant character" and have the concentrating restriction added to keep it inside the rules.

Also, the restriction of not being able to cast the same spell on the same turn is to stop something like eldricht blast spam, which seems to be abke to become very powerful, and probably other things that I ignore but can be removed if that is not a problem.

Combined Tactics
Starting at 6th level whenever you and your companion both roll for initiative at the beginning of the same combat, you may immediately exchange the results (post-modifiers) of your initiative rolls.

If you and your companion are next to one another (5 feet) or in the same square, whenever one of you are attacked, you can use the better AC of any of them to defend from an attack and the better modifiers of one of them for a saving throw.

When you take the Attack action and succeed in it, you can forgo your bonus action to let your companion use their reaction to do an attack and this attack has advantage.

Changed the first and last parts of this "feature". The first being suggested by ATHATH and the last one being done because as it was told here, the shared buffs could be a bit too powerful, so I thought of improving the ability that Pact of the Chian gives you (but I'm not sure of letting it like this or just make it simple and remove the success and advantage things) and putting the buff thing in the next "feature" or just remove it, whichever seems the better option.

Link Improvement
At level 10 you gain “magic resistance” as long as your companion is no further than 30 feet from you, if your companion doesn’t have magic resistance, it gains this ability.
(Similar to “Variant: X familiar” of some of the familiars listed here).

OR maybe:

When you cast a spell targeting yourself, you can also affect your companion with the spell if it is within 20 feet of you. This also works in the opposite direction.

If the distance between you and your companion becomes more than 20 feet, the spell ends for the one who didn’t cast the spell. Going back to the 20 feet distance doesn’t grant back the spell effects.

Since it was told that "Magic Resistance" was powerful enough on its own I thought of making it a full feature with a little improvement in distance form the variant familiars rules. Why I keep the magic resistance in this is because by default your familiars can't grant it and this companion is not a spirit with the form of X, but the real deal.

If the magic resistance is too much in any form for a PC, I have redone the "buff sharing" thing, trying to tone it down so its not that broken. I thought maybe I should also add something like not let the other use a buff in the same turn but maybe that is restricting it too much, I have doubts in this regard too.

Fight as One
At 14th level, you can use your action to fuse with your companion and gain this benefits:

If your companion has any type of movement you don’t have you gain it.
You gain temporal Hit Points equal to your companion current Hit Points, you lose them when the fusion ends.
You can use your action to cast a cantrip and make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

The fusion lasts 5 minutes, can be used twice and has a recharge of 3 hours between uses. You regain any uses after a long rest.

When you separate, the remaining hit points are split as you choose between you and your companion. If you only have 1 HP remaining while fused, both of you have 1 HP when you separate.

If you reach 0 hit points while fused, you and your companion separate and are with 0 hit points.

In order to fuse, you and your comapion have to be within 30 feet of each other and be willing to do fuse with the other.

Tried to tone it down in an attempt to make it reasonable. The time has been greatly reduced and some abilities have been removed, in contrast, one ability has been modified (the one that granted you an extra turn) for basically the level 7 ability of the Eldritch Knight but I still don't know if this feature it's still broken.

I'm sorry for uploading this so late, but I hope you can keep giving feedback to improve this.

As always, thank you all for your time.

Garfunion
2018-10-12, 11:11 AM
Have you thought about maybe making this a Sorcerer Bloodline? That way the familiar can use Sorcerer spell slots to cast their spell. The warlock can already gain a unique and powerful familiar.

Alqui
2018-10-12, 12:54 PM
The general idea I had in mind for this was something like a powerful being is really pleased with you or they don't like you for whatever reason to the point they gave you the option (or forced you) to go through a special bond with one of thier "servants" so this partner can help you (or keep an eye on you) and over the course of time this bond strengthens and you know how to work better with one another (that doesn't necessarily mean you both get along or are best friends).

With this background in mind I felt like the warlock was the most similar thing, and being the class that has more interactions with the familiars (though I could be wrong), it just seem the more appropriate for this "subclass".

I am interested in how you would background this to be more sorcerer oriented. For now I will keep it this way but if it looks better, maybe I'll start thinking more heavily in changing this.

And of course, thanks for the feedback.