PDA

View Full Version : Misty Step while restrained?

Crgaston
2018-10-02, 05:23 PM
Can you Misty Step out of Iron Bands of Bilarro? What about regular manacles or rope bindings? In other words, do you HAVE to take items with you?

ImproperJustice
2018-10-02, 05:29 PM
Nope. One reason why it’s awesome.
Has my EK Misty step out of a fish net while prone once to appear behind my captor.

Pure awesome sauce.

Lunali
2018-10-02, 05:32 PM
You can use misty step to escape just about anything but a gag.

Pex
2018-10-02, 06:49 PM
You can use misty step to escape just about anything but a gag.

Which is why Sorcerers take Subtle Spell.

lperkins2
2018-10-02, 07:34 PM
So, the difficulty is in telling when something goes from being your environment (under a net, tarp, blanket) to being your gear. Since it is assumed you take your gear with you (strictly the spell doesn't say your gear goes too, but it would be useless were that not the case), restraining gear goes too. For example, you could not teleport out of your armour to avoid the time required to doff it. Likewise, if you've been manacled, the manacles probably should go with you. Where on that divide rope bindings lie is going to be up to the individual DM. Personally, if the ropes are just wrapped around you, such that you could with a bit of effort walk/wiggle out of them, then they'd be left behind. If you've been tied sufficiently to actually hold you, then the ropes are 'equipment'.

furby076
2018-10-02, 08:14 PM
So, the difficulty is in telling when something goes from being your environment (under a net, tarp, blanket) to being your gear. Since it is assumed you take your gear with you (strictly the spell doesn't say your gear goes too, but it would be useless were that not the case), restraining gear goes too. For example, you could not teleport out of your armour to avoid the time required to doff it. Likewise, if you've been manacled, the manacles probably should go with you. Where on that divide rope bindings lie is going to be up to the individual DM. Personally, if the ropes are just wrapped around you, such that you could with a bit of effort walk/wiggle out of them, then they'd be left behind. If you've been tied sufficiently to actually hold you, then the ropes are 'equipment'.

by that logic, wouldn't a hat just sitting on your head be left behind? what about the ioun stones floating above your head?

Typically people don't count manacles around their hands as part of their gear.

lperkins2
2018-10-02, 08:20 PM
by that logic, wouldn't a hat just sitting on your head be left behind? what about the ioun stones floating above your head?

Typically people don't count manacles around their hands as part of their gear.

Then what about cursed items? If it is what the person counts as their gear, they could choose what to take and what to leave (for example, doffing armour as a BA instead of multiple rounds of actions), unless I suppose you let them choose per item once, and then that item either stays or goes every time. The point remains that the spell doesn't specify what goes beyond the character (in the bday suit), so it's up to the DM to make a reasonable call about what moves with them.

sithlordnergal
2018-10-02, 08:41 PM
I always saw teleportation spells as a "you quickly decide on what comes with you, and it does. Provided they are within any parameters of the spell". Meaning yes, you could teleport out of your armor or clothes, and leave them in a pile. Or you could teleport with them on if the teleportation spell allows it. Cursed items are a bit special, as the curse generally remains in effect even if you aren't using/wearing the item.

And if a cursed item says it stays with you, the specific beats general rule takes effect and it remains with you no matter what.

tieren
2018-10-02, 08:55 PM
I would totally let a player misty step out of their armor (or clothes). Spending a 2nd level slot is a more valuable resource than 10 minutes. In any situation where the time is critical being out of your armor probably has its own risks.

I wouldn't let them teleport into the armor.

sithlordnergal
2018-10-02, 09:07 PM
I would totally let a player misty step out of their armor (or clothes). Spending a 2nd level slot is a more valuable resource than 10 minutes. In any situation where the time is critical being out of your armor probably has its own risks.

I fully agree, hence why I use teleportation spells in that way. It also allows players in metal armor to have some sort of counter to Heat Metal besides breaking concentration or hoping for a Counterspell/Dispel from a friendly caster.

Mellack
2018-10-02, 09:26 PM

I also agree. Spells are often used to be able to do things quicker (prestidigitation, expeditious retreat, haste). You should get to choose what you want to have teleport with you.

Greywander
2018-10-03, 04:57 AM
you could teleport out of your armor or clothes, and leave them in a pile.
"Oh man, did you see your son's face?"

"Ha ha, you were all like, 'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine.' Then, poof! He completely bought it!"

"Hey, we should get Yoda in on this. He loves a good prank."

Galithar
2018-10-03, 05:01 AM

"Ha ha, you were all like, 'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine.' Then, poof! He completely bought it!"

I award thee one internet point!

Crgaston
2018-10-03, 06:26 AM

Best answer yet!

Thanks for the insight and opinions, everyone.

Pex
2018-10-03, 11:26 AM

You couldn't anyway by the spell. You have to be able to see where you're going. You can't see inside armor.