PDA

View Full Version : Lirian's Magical Gate

RAGE KING!
2007-09-16, 10:16 PM
If you bothered reading the diary (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html) (I hope you did!) it says that Dorukan was interested in getting into Lirian's magical gate. interesting....Sod Spoilers: SoD makes it clear that Lirian and dorukan were in love. So my question is this. Did they have a child? Perhaps out there in OotS world right now there is a level 30 elf with 10 levels in druid, wizard, and mystic theurge respectively, who is about to kick some ass and get those gates back.

blackspeeker
2007-09-16, 10:28 PM
But wasnt the agreement when they constructed the gates that te five remaining members of the order of the scribble wouldnt have contact with eachother, so where would he find the time to breach her gate and bump uglies with her without violating their agreement.

Dragon_Keeper
2007-09-16, 10:52 PM
It's Pompey!

Lamech
2007-09-16, 10:53 PM
Ghaa! Spoiler that Dragon Keeper. I was so close to saying that first too.

Icewalker
2007-09-16, 11:03 PM
No, they wouldn't have had the chance to, I think. Although I am wondering whether that gem that their souls are stuck in will be brought up again

RMS Oceanic
2007-09-16, 11:59 PM
(SoD Spoilers)It's certainly true that the five members made an oath, but Lirian and Dorukan, at least, regretted it. Right before Xykon comes crashing into her house, Lirian is reading a letter with phrases that read "if not for the gates and that hastily sworn oath" and "When is the next time you can come over without arousing suspicion?". It's clearly a letter from a lover, although you don't know it's Dorukan until the end of the book, and it indicates that the two have remained in contact in secret from the other three.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-17, 12:18 AM
On an unrelated note, did anyone notice that the headband that Dorukan wore in the diary picture was the same one that Xykon wore in the latest comic? Or is this something that has already been noted that I was not aware of?

Elfanatic
2007-09-17, 12:30 AM
The events of the Order of the Scribble was, according to canon, 66 years ago.

Pompey has stated to Nale that he is 41.

So, unless the Snarl decided to mess with the time-continuum (spelling?), it is unlikeley Pompey is Dorukan's and Lirian's lovechild.

Would have been a nice plottwist though.

NikkTheTrick
2007-09-17, 12:30 AM
On an unrelated note, did anyone notice that the headband that Dorukan wore in the diary picture was the same one that Xykon wore in the latest comic? Or is this something that has already been noted that I was not aware of?

It was discussed beyond death.

My opinion is that it is Dorukan's headband and Cloister is Dorukan's spell that would somehow shelter (either completely isolated or just no magical communication) the city (Dorukan made it to guard the gate).

In this comic, small details are very important, so there are very good reasons to believe that headbands looking alike is not just a coincidence

Porthos
2007-09-17, 12:31 AM
(SoD Spoilers)It's certainly true that the five members made an oath, but Lirian and Dorukan, at least, regretted it. Right before Xykon comes crashing into her house, Lirian is reading a letter with phrases that read "if not for the gates and that hastily sworn oath" and "When is the next time you can come over without arousing suspicion?". It's clearly a letter from a lover, although you don't know it's Dorukan until the end of the book, and it indicates that the two have remained in contact in secret from the other three.

I agree. IMO, it is quite clear from the context of Dorukan's Note that they have met in person at least a few times when people weren't paying attention. Perhaps it was when Lirian left the forest for some reason or another. And if she was alone at the time, was able to spend a few days with her love.

Don't forget, she was an (at least) 17th level Druid. If she really wanted to slip away unnoticed for a few days, I'm sure she could. :smalltongue:

the_tick_rules
2007-09-17, 01:12 AM
maybe they did. but who says the hypothetical child is epic level?

Dragon_Keeper
2007-09-17, 01:17 AM
The events of the Order of the Scribble was, according to canon, 66 years ago.

Pompey has stated to Nale that he is 41.

So, unless the Snarl decided to mess with the time-continuum (spelling?), it is unlikeley Pompey is Dorukan's and Lirian's lovechild.

Would have been a nice plottwist though.

Yeah that would be a problem if he was 66, and it happened 41 years ago, but they could have met secretly 25 years after the snarl was captured

David Argall
2007-09-17, 02:20 AM
It's not impossible they started Pompey, but the kid looks rather different from both "parents", not to mention all the other difficulties. So don't bet the farm on this being the case.

Even less, don't bet on any such kid being a stud. This is the story of the OOTS, who do all the heroics, not admire the heroics of somebody else.

Elfanatic
2007-09-17, 08:01 AM
Yeah that would be a problem if he was 66, and it happened 41 years ago, but they could have met secretly 25 years after the snarl was captured

He (Pompey) is not 66, he is 41. And the last events of the Order of the Scribble (everyone beginning guarding their own Gate) was 66 years ago, not 41. And to give you some slack, I will asume you just made a honest mistake.

But still, I don't think that Pompey is Lirian's and Dorukan's child. I don't see either L or D as bad parents: one (or both) of them would have raised him. Yes, this doesn't mean it is impossible for P to be evil. But it does mean he would have some knowledge of the Gates and his parents demise. And since Celia had spent 6 months swiping office supplies and making phonecalls, I doubt it was impossible for anyone else to survive and give the news to Pompey.

And evil or not evil, if I knew that the strongpoints of reality were undone, I would have tried to do something about it.

Morty
2007-09-17, 10:02 AM
But still, I don't think that Pompey is Lirian's and Dorukan's child. I don't see either L or D as bad parents: one (or both) of them would have raised him. Yes, this doesn't mean it is impossible for P to be evil. But it does mean he would have some knowledge of the Gates and his parents demise. And since Celia had spent 6 months swiping office supplies and making phonecalls, I doubt it was impossible for anyone else to survive and give the news to Pompey.

It's possible that whichever of the two was supposed to raise Pompey has left him behind so he's not endangered by whoever might want to claim the gates. This way he wouldn't know his real parents.
I don't think Pompey is Lirian and Dorukan's child, in fact I doubt he'll appear in the strip at all, but it's not impossible.

Chronos
2007-09-17, 10:16 AM
And to give you some slack, I will asume you just made a honest mistake.What mistake did Dragon_Keeper make? He said that if the timing were the other way around, it would be a problem, which indeed it would be. But the timing wasn't the other way around, so it's not a problem.

nimby
2007-09-17, 10:21 AM
Elan's mother is their lovechild, Elan thus being their grandson. This dramatic unrevealed secret will come to light after it's made clear Haley is Sirini (or whatever's) niece, Belkar once stepped in what was left of Kraagor and Vaarsuvius once ate a bagel at the same restaurant Girard once asked for directions.

I think I covered all bases.

BladeOFGrass
2007-09-17, 10:47 AM
And, they all are related to Kevin Bacon. Epic Wardancer.

Elfanatic
2007-09-18, 03:59 PM
What mistake did Dragon_Keeper make? He said that if the timing were the other way around, it would be a problem, which indeed it would be. But the timing wasn't the other way around, so it's not a problem.

I thought I had made it clear that Lirian and Dorukan probably wouldn't seen each other since the Order of the Scribble split up; thus saying that the only way Pompey is their child if it takes elfs 25 years to give birth.

My apologies, then.

TheElfLord
2007-09-18, 04:22 PM
I thought I had made it clear that Lirian and Dorukan probably wouldn't seen each other since the Order of the Scribble split up; thus saying that the only way Pompey is their child if it takes elfs 25 years to give birth.

My apologies, then.

Well, as pointed out above, SoD gives plenty of room for Lirian and Dorukan to continue meeting over the years. The only person who could totally make it clear they did is Rich, who presumibly you are not, so you cannot make it clear. (On the other hand, sometimes even Rich can't clear things up, such as Belkar's alignment).

Hann
2007-09-18, 04:48 PM
Actually, Rich has stated Belkar's alignment. He says in the comic that he's chaotic, and Rich has stated in forums that Belkar is evil. I would quote the post if I knew where to find it, but I don't. I do think that it is unlikely that Dorukan and Lirian even had a child (OtOoPC "protection spell" comes to mind).

TheElfLord
2007-09-18, 04:53 PM
Actually, Rich has stated Belkar's alignment. He says in the comic that he's chaotic, and Rich has stated in forums that Belkar is evil. I would quote the post if I knew where to find it, but I don't. I do think that it is unlikely that Dorukan and Lirian even had a child (OtOoPC "protection spell" comes to mind).

I know Rich has stated that Belkar is chaotic evil, but there is a large group of people on this forum that has decided that belkar is not CE and that Rich, despite being belkar's creator is wrong. Thats why you still see belkar alignment threads.

I was making a joke. I stated that the poster I quoted could not be quite clear unless he was Rich, and then suggested that sometimes even a statement from Rich does not clear up the issue, such as with Belkar's alignment.