PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Boosting sneak attack

RFLS
2018-10-02, 11:17 PM
I've been digging around for a while and haven't really found any ways to boost sneak attack damage other than leveling. Is it doable? If so, how?

Galithar
2018-10-02, 11:34 PM
Expanding your critical range is about the only way I know. Sneak attack is already strong where it's at, being able to buff it up more would make Rogues to strong in my opinion.

Naanomi
2018-10-02, 11:43 PM
A few races can add a bit of damage under specific circumstances (Aasimar, bugbear, goblins); multiclassing to get duelist style can get you a few more points... Inquisitive and Assassin both have high level abilities to boost damage under specific circumstances. You can add Smite damage to sneak attack, though only at marginal damage profit at best

Jamesps
2018-10-03, 01:02 AM
Booming blade mixed with the rogue's natural mobility is the best way to reliably increase their damage. If they're forced to move to attack something you'll be doing an extra 3d8 by second tier.

bid
2018-10-03, 01:08 AM
Using your reaction out of your turn, such as AO, sentinel or BM commander's strike is the best way to increase your damage.

Crgaston
2018-10-03, 06:54 AM
Three levels of Battle Master for Riposte will let you get another SA as a reaction when the enemy misses you, but you’re giving up 1-2 d6 on your primary SA for it, so it works better on higher level Rogues. Of course Fighter brings other benefits besides just Riposte, too, but that’s outside the scope of your question.

Arkhios
2018-10-03, 07:04 AM
One question: Why would you want to do that? As was said earlier, Sneak Attack is already strong as is.

Unoriginal
2018-10-03, 07:06 AM
Multiclassing to get Extra attack seems to be the only thing that's not been suggested already.

Reynaert
2018-10-03, 07:32 AM
Multiclassing to get Extra attack seems to be the only thing that's not been suggested already.

That might be because of the 'once per turn' limitation.

nickl_2000
2018-10-03, 07:36 AM
That might be because of the 'once per turn' limitation.

True, but it still boosts your chance of hitting with a sneak attack and therefore boosts the overall DPR.

JellyPooga
2018-10-03, 07:42 AM
The highest pure Sneak Attack build (solo) I've been able to find is a Thief Rogue wielding any magic item that can cast Haste, for 4x10d6 on the first round (possibly extending slightly into the 2nd round, depending on the trigger you use for your Haste-trick Ready Action); even then you need Haste to be active before combat begins.

Haste Action: Attack
Regular Action: Ready
2nd Turn Haste Action: Attack
2nd Turn Action: Ready

That's just if you're looking for pure Sneak Attack damage in a single round of combat and it only works at the tippy top of the level tree. Obviously, as others have mentioned, there are all sorts of ways to increase single-target damage in a more general sense or improve the reliability of landing a Sneak Attack, but if it's specifically Sneak Attack damage you want (for whatever reason) Thief Rogue is your boy.

Laserlight
2018-10-03, 07:50 AM
True, but it still boosts your chance of hitting with a sneak attack and therefore boosts the overall DPR.

Rather than MC and lose SA dice, TWF.

Battlemaster Riposte is tempting, but it means you're inviting attacks, which you may not want to do.

Swashbuckler, so you don't have to have an ally handy.

Naanomi
2018-10-03, 08:19 AM
In think it was determined that the highest damage in a single hit was like... a Bugbear Vengeance Paladin 3/Assassin 17 with booming blade via Magic Initiate; that damage double in the auto-crit is just hard to compare to

Specter
2018-10-03, 08:21 AM
Booming blade mixed with the rogue's natural mobility is the best way to reliably increase their damage. If they're forced to move to attack something you'll be doing an extra 3d8 by second tier.

This and Green-Flame Blade. An extra 3d8 by level 17, and possible extra damage, is no joke.

nickl_2000
2018-10-03, 08:23 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned the 2nd level Hold Person (or hold monster if another caster uses it) spell. I think you can use that as an arcane trickster.

JellyPooga
2018-10-03, 08:38 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned the 2nd level Hold Person (or hold monster if another caster uses it) spell. I think you can use that as an arcane trickster.

That's a good call. Anything that paralyses your target will double up your Sneak Attack due to auto-crit. Thief can UMD a Staff or Wand too.

Millface
2018-10-03, 08:58 AM
Rogue's with a little strength and Battlemaster levels are decent for this.

Shield Master and Elven Accuracy Feats, maybe Sentinel with it. Anything that gives you advantage is incredibly beneficial.

You shove a creature to create your own advantage with shield master, giving yourself trivantage with elven accuracy. You sneak attack with a much higher crit chance, which is always solid. Then, you take advantage of your reaction with sentinel or riposte to do a second SA in that round.

As others have stated, Sneak attacks benefit more than most abilities from critical hits, so anything that increases that chance is good. Champion Fighter would be, but I would think that Riposte, being nearly a guaranteed second sneak attack, is slightly better. Elven Accuracy is bomb though. Arcane Tricksters can take find familiar and use that familiar to give themselves advantage if you don't want to take other feats/dips to make your own advantage.

Bloodcloud
2018-10-03, 09:02 AM
Swashbuckler with Sentinel feat is quite efficient at that. Opportunity sneak attack can really win the day. Magic initiate can allow you to add booming blade/greenflame blade and a familiar, get a dagger in your second hand to ensure a second try if something goes wrong, and maybe go for riposte with the battlemaster-lite feat.

As a Vhuman pure rogue, all those fit and you get to max your dex, with some wiggle room.

stoutstien
2018-10-03, 09:11 AM
The highest pure Sneak Attack build (solo) I've been able to find is a Thief Rogue wielding any magic item that can cast Haste, for 4x10d6 on the first round (possibly extending slightly into the 2nd round, depending on the trigger you use for your Haste-trick Ready Action); even then you need Haste to be active before combat begins.

Haste Action: Attack
Regular Action: Ready
2nd Turn Haste Action: Attack
2nd Turn Action: Ready

That's just if you're looking for pure Sneak Attack damage in a single round of combat and it only works at the tippy top of the level tree. Obviously, as others have mentioned, there are all sorts of ways to increase single-target damage in a more general sense or improve the reliability of landing a Sneak Attack, but if it's specifically Sneak Attack damage you want (for whatever reason) Thief Rogue is your boy.

Unless you have a wish list of magic items that you know your going to get and the haste item has class/race restrictions UMD isn't what makes this good.

JellyPooga
2018-10-03, 09:28 AM
Unless you have a wish list of magic items that you know your going to get and the haste item has class/race restrictions UMD isn't what makes this good.

No, but Thief Rogues are, to my knowledge, the only Class that can get two turns in a round. UMD just lets them do it without an assist from another character.

The truly best way to optimise Sneak Attack is with teamwork. A Battlemaster Fighter friend to grant Commanders Strike rather than relying on OA or Ready is mkre reliable. A Wizard, Bard, Cleric or or buffer can grant extra damage, etc.

Specter
2018-10-03, 09:42 AM

Yep. The problem is that, for you to benefit from it, you'd need them to fail the save (easier if you're hiding) and then fail at it again when their turn ends - far from easy.

Keravath
2018-10-03, 09:44 AM
I've found that the best way to improve sneak attack is to have a variety of ways to generate advantage on the attack roll.

Sneak attack is useless if it doesn't land so the more ways to land a sneak attack effectively the better.

Method 1: Additional attacks
- extra attack feature from 5 level multiclass in fighter, paladin, barbarian, ranger or warlock pact of the blade
- two weapon fighting for off-hand bonus attack though it competes with the other rogue bonus actions

Method 2: Advantage - this also allows for sneak attack even without allies next to the target
- familiar using help action
- bonus action hide
- barbarian reckless attack
- greater invisibility or shadows of moil
- darkness/devils sight
- faerie fire

Having advantage is probably the best way to improve the effectiveness of sneak attack.

Method 3: Add some damage
- booming blade or green flame blade for a melee rogue ... again works best if you have advantage on the attack role since when casting a spell you will only get one attack.

Anyway, I've found the best way to improve sneak attack is to ensure it hits ... adding a little damage is secondary since the usual to hit number is in the range of 10 against an AC of 16+ ... which reduces the average sneak attack damage over time by ~50%.

One more trick is the Sentinel feat along with mirror image on a melee rogue ... when one of the images is hit it will trigger a reaction sneak attack (though typically without advantage).

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 09:47 AM
How to increase damage:

(trying not to repeat what others have said)

-Charger feat (would add +5 to your damage, and if you have mobile, don't have to ever bother about using Disengage -unless you have many enemies around you)

-Goblin's racial (Fury of the Small)

-If you're a Tiefling and use Green Flame Blade, Flames of Phlegethos, you will get rerolls for every roll of 1 in damage, and would add a 1d4 extra fire damage to any enemy that hits you in melee.

-Mage Slayer (As people have pointed out, getting extra reactions out of your turn is nice, as you can sneak attack once per turn, so in one round, you can sneak attack as many times as there are people in combat -If you can get more than 1 reaction per round, of course)

-Magic Initiate, could get Hunter's mark to add an extra hit of damage to your sneak attack.

-Martial Adept feat could add some extra damage to your sneak attack.

-If Half-Orc, could get the Orcish Fury feat to add an extra weapon die to your attacks

-War Caster can be used to make OA with cantrips (like Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, increase your overall DPR)

-Sharpshooter could add an extra +10 damage to your sneak attack

Note: Have in mind, that adding extra attacks increase your chance of hitting with your SA, but also decrease the damage your sneak attack does (as you would require lvls in other classes, pushing back the damage of your sneak attack), so making your Sneak Attack damage go down by 2d6 in most cases (or 1d6 if you assume you hit with both attacks)

stoutstien
2018-10-03, 10:05 AM
No, but Thief Rogues are, to my knowledge, the only Class that can get two turns in a round. UMD just lets them do it without an assist from another character.

Arcane trickster can gets haste.

The lv 17 feature for thief is hands down the best capstone for the class. It does allow two sneak attacks I the first round(s) by utilizing tactic you stated above by using a reaction.

UMD should have been a class feature not a subclass feature and thieves should have a feature that isn't completely 100% DM dependent.

MThurston
2018-10-03, 10:50 AM
You can boost your sneak attack by having advantage or a party member within 5ft of your target.

Without either, you can't do sneak attack damage at all.

Nothing else works but taking a subclass that allows you not to need that extra person.

iTreeby
2018-10-03, 11:15 AM
Getting the archery fighting style can grant you +2 to hit which makes snee attack more likely to land.

Dueling fighting style grants +2 damage.

Two weapon fighting style gets you ability mod to damage on off hand attacks.

Fighters action surge gives you another chance to hit.

MThurston
2018-10-03, 12:33 PM
Getting the archery fighting style can grant you +2 to hit which makes snee attack more likely to land.

Dueling fighting style grants +2 damage.

Two weapon fighting style gets you ability mod to damage on off hand attacks.

Fighters action surge gives you another chance to hit.

They don't buff sneak attack.

The bonus of two weapon fighting is that you will hit more often. Which translates to more sneak attacks hitting. But both weapons must be finesse.

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 02:29 PM
They don't buff sneak attack.

The bonus of two weapon fighting is that you will hit more often. Which translates to more sneak attacks hitting. But both weapons must be finesse.

He was just pointing out that one fo the Fighting Style buff the Sneak Attack damage (dueling), another the hit chance (archery), and the last one (2weapon fighting), the damage and hit chance (depending the order, as anyone can use 2 weapons to attack with the bonus action, so it will make the second attack deal more when it hits with a sneak attack -if he miss the first one-, as most other people wouldn't add the DEX mod to it)

Naanomi
2018-10-03, 02:33 PM
If we are including accuracy as a metric to increase Sneak Attack (by increasing odds of hit/crit)… Elven Accuracy is a great way to do so for most rogues

GlenSmash!
2018-10-03, 03:24 PM
High level Scout Rogues get some extra Sneak Attack if my memory serves.

JellyPooga
2018-10-03, 05:01 PM
Arcane trickster can gets haste.

Did you hear me say otherwise? Being able to cast Haste yourself, whether you do it with a spell slot or a magic item, isn't the key component here, as has been mentioned earlier. Being a Thief is. Arcane Trickster can't cast a spell to get two turns, but Thief has a Class feature that does. A Thief can Sneak Attack four times in one Round, an Arcane Trickster cannot.

UMD should have been a class feature not a subclass feature and thieves should have a feature that isn't completely 100% DM dependent.

UMD isn't a great ability because, as you menton, it's very GM dependent on what (if any) magic items you can get your sticky fingers on. Then again, the level 13 subclass abilities of any Rogue subclass are not that great; Assassins get a ribbon that allows them to impersonate a specific individual after three hours of observation (aka: a useless piece of trash ability, when Disguise Self is a 1st level spell that takes a single action to cast) and Arcane Tricksters get advantage on attack rolls (and let's face it, if you don't have reliable advantage on attack rolls by level 13, you don't deserve to be playing a level 13 character). UMD may not be great, but it's better than the other options IMO.

clash
2018-10-03, 05:12 PM
Haste allows you to attack with your haste action for sneak attack then ready an action with your main action to easily and consistently get another sneak attack with your reaction.

stoutstien
2018-10-03, 06:58 PM
Did you hear me say otherwise? Being able to cast Haste yourself, whether you do it with a spell slot or a magic item, isn't the key component here, as has been mentioned earlier. Being a Thief is. Arcane Trickster can't cast a spell to get two turns, but Thief has a Class feature that does. A Thief can Sneak Attack four times in one Round, an Arcane Trickster cannot.

UMD isn't a great ability because, as you menton, it's very GM dependent on what (if any) magic items you can get your sticky fingers on. Then again, the level 13 subclass abilities of any Rogue subclass are not that great; Assassins get a ribbon that allows them to impersonate a specific individual after three hours of observation (aka: a useless piece of trash ability, when Disguise Self is a 1st level spell that takes a single action to cast) and Arcane Tricksters get advantage on attack rolls (and let's face it, if you don't have reliable advantage on attack rolls by level 13, you don't deserve to be playing a level 13 character). UMD may not be great, but it's better than the other options IMO.

I really miss understood your first post. I thought you were using haste to get an extra attack not thieves reflex.

Yea they use the lv 13 ablity as a exploratory pillar feature for a few the sub classes and combat focused for most.
Assissian-explore
Thief-1/2 and 1/2 but extremely dm reliant
Arcane trickster-combat
Scout-combat(strongest one)
Mastermind-combat
Swashbuckler-combat
Inquisitive- exploratory maybe combat if invisibility counts.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-03, 07:20 PM
I'm a bit disappointed to see nobody has mentioned that the Inquisitive Rogues 17th level feature gives them 3d6 additional sneak attack damage against a target affected by their Insightful Fighting feature.

Montesquieu P.
2018-10-03, 08:07 PM
MC to Ranger; pick "Hunter's Mark" at 2nd Level (+1D6 damage per hit); pick "Colossus Slayer" at 3rd for another +1D8 -- if the target is wounded.

Also, pick 'Thief' specialization, and use your "Cunning Action" to poison your blade. Rinse & repeat.

Naanomi
2018-10-03, 08:10 PM
I'm a bit disappointed to see nobody has mentioned that the Inquisitive Rogues 17th level feature gives them 3d6 additional sneak attack damage against a target affected by their Insightful Fighting feature.
... I mentioned it in the third post...

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-03, 11:04 PM
... I mentioned it in the third post...
Yep, I missed that, sorry. I blame lack of coffee. The reason I brought it up, is that it is the only thing I'm aware of that directly boosts your sneak attack damage and I was surprised that nobody (that I noticed) had brought it up.

I'm glad to see that it was actually brought up very quickly, I feel like the subclass is often overlooked because it's mostly non-combat oriented.

Naanomi
2018-10-04, 07:58 AM
Yep, I missed that, sorry. I blame lack of coffee. The reason I brought it up, is that it is the only thing I'm aware of that directly boosts your sneak attack damage and I was surprised that nobody (that I noticed) had brought it up.

I'm glad to see that it was actually brought up very quickly, I feel like the subclass is often overlooked because it's mostly non-combat oriented.
It is one of my favorite... who doesn’t love 35+ passive perception?

MThurston
2018-10-04, 08:09 AM
He was just pointing out that one fo the Fighting Style buff the Sneak Attack damage (dueling), another the hit chance (archery), and the last one (2weapon fighting), the damage and hit chance (depending the order, as anyone can use 2 weapons to attack with the bonus action, so it will make the second attack deal more when it hits with a sneak attack -if he miss the first one-, as most other people wouldn't add the DEX mod to it)

That does nothing to buff sneak attack. That just does more damage.

MThurston
2018-10-04, 08:11 AM
MC to Ranger; pick "Hunter's Mark" at 2nd Level (+1D6 damage per hit); pick "Colossus Slayer" at 3rd for another +1D8 -- if the target is wounded.

Also, pick 'Thief' specialization, and use your "Cunning Action" to poison your blade. Rinse & repeat.

This also doesn't buff sneak attack. You are just adding ways to do more damage. With an atrack that doesn't even require sneak attack at all.

MThurston
2018-10-04, 08:12 AM
Haste allows you to attack with your haste action for sneak attack then ready an action with your main action to easily and consistently get another sneak attack with your reaction.

This also doesn't boost sneak attack. Just another damage build that doesnt require sneak attack to work.

clash
2018-10-04, 08:43 AM
This also doesn't boost sneak attack. Just another damage build that doesnt require sneak attack to work.

This specifically works really well with sneak attack because you dont lose out on damage by readying an action. If you rely on extra attack you lose out on a lot of damage by only taking one haste attack on your turn and one single attack from readying an action. With sneak attack the hasted attack can do your entire expected damage output and then you can do your entire damage output with your readied action as well effectively doubling your damage in a way that only works with sneak attack.

Trampaige
2018-10-04, 08:47 AM
Rogue's with a little strength and Battlemaster levels are decent for this.

Shield Master and Elven Accuracy Feats, maybe Sentinel with it. Anything that gives you advantage is incredibly beneficial.

You shove a creature to create your own advantage with shield master, giving yourself trivantage with elven accuracy. You sneak attack with a much higher crit chance, which is always solid. Then, you take advantage of your reaction with sentinel or riposte to do a second SA in that round.

It's important to consider Crawford's reversal of his ruling. According to him, it's no longer legal to bonus action shove, then attack. You now have to complete both attacks before you can perform the bonus action shove. It... messes up a few other things as well.

iTreeby
2018-10-04, 09:07 AM

Does - 2 to hit debuff sneak attack? Does - 2 damage debuff sneak attack? Does missing attacks in a turn debuff sneak attack? The answer to these questions is yes. Do a test fight with a rogue that is fighting a practice dummy and see how much damage is getting done in each case.

Let me put it to you like this which weapon is better for sneak attack, a +1 dagger or a +2 dagger?

Maxilian
2018-10-04, 09:13 AM
This also doesn't buff sneak attack. You are just adding ways to do more damage. With an atrack that doesn't even require sneak attack at all.

We are adding things that could buff sneak attack damage, could they be used with anything else? Yes, but those things work with sneak attack? yes.

"Buff sneak attack" is just a way to say "How can i make my sneak attack better overall? be it damage, hit chance or effects in general"

Maxilian
2018-10-04, 09:14 AM
It is one of my favorite... who doesn’t love 35+ passive perception?

the DM. /10char

MThurston
2018-10-04, 09:30 AM
This specifically works really well with sneak attack because you dont lose out on damage by readying an action. If you rely on extra attack you lose out on a lot of damage by only taking one haste attack on your turn and one single attack from readying an action. With sneak attack the hasted attack can do your entire expected damage output and then you can do your entire damage output with your readied action as well effectively doubling your damage in a way that only works with sneak attack.

Does it boost sneak attack. The lerson is looking for ways to boost it. Adding damage from another source doesn't boost sneak attack.

MThurston
2018-10-04, 09:31 AM
We are adding things that could buff sneak attack damage, could they be used with anything else? Yes, but those things work with sneak attack? yes.

"Buff sneak attack" is just a way to say "How can i make my sneak attack better overall? be it damage, hit chance or effects in general"

Boosting sneak attack is what the person asked for. Not ways to do more damage.

Maxilian
2018-10-04, 09:33 AM
Does it boost sneak attack. The lerson is looking for ways to boost it. Adding damage from another source doesn't boost sneak attack.

That's how you boost the damage of it, you combine it with other abilities to make it hit harder.

OP wants to know how to increase sneak attack damage, those are ways to do it.

iTreeby
2018-10-04, 09:49 AM

Sneak attack does damage and nothing else.

bid
2018-10-04, 11:17 AM
The only way to boost single-turn SA-specific damage is the inquisitive feature mentionned by Naanomi.
There are ways to boost SA-specific damage per round by using your reaction, but that's it.

If you don't want to nitpick those answers, ask a better question.

MThurston
2018-10-04, 01:05 PM
The only way to boost single-turn SA-specific damage is the inquisitive feature mentionned by Naanomi.
There are ways to boost SA-specific damage per round by using your reaction, but that's it.

If you don't want to nitpick those answers, ask a better question.

You can only do SA damage once per turn.

So, you must have advantage.
You must have someone within 5 feet.
Or take a subclass that allows you to have SA some other way. Swashbuckler get it when only touching one enemy.

Now the next part is you must hit. Getting a +2 to archery is great but it doesn't boost SA.

Brute from the Fighter and Battle Master dice also do not boost SA.

Someone mentioned a 17th level bonus to get an extra 3d6. That is your only true boost.

Assassin has a nice trick to give you auto crit. But it isn't always guaranteed.

The rules are terrible when it comes to surprise rounds. You still have to roll init and if you roll bad, the guy you attack knows you are there. Even though you are hidden and just blew a poison dart at them.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-04, 01:42 PM

Or take a subclass that allows you to have SA some other way. Swashbuckler get it when only touching one enemy.
You need to have advantage
*or*
Have an ally within 5 ft of the target

You being correct in the fact that you can only do sneak attack damage once per turn is a key point in many optimizations for Rogues, per turn not per round. Getting methods that allow you to sneak attack more than once per round are, in effect, a potential boost to your sneak attack.

It's true that the OP asked a question with a simple answer, but discussion that springboards off that isn't off topic and could still be a viable answer.

Keravath
2018-10-04, 01:53 PM
Note: Have in mind, that adding extra attacks increase your chance of hitting with your SA, but also decrease the damage your sneak attack does (as you would require lvls in other classes, pushing back the damage of your sneak attack), so making your Sneak Attack damage go down by 2d6 in most cases (or 1d6 if you assume you hit with both attacks)

Also note that getting a second attack gives two chances to land sneak attack AND also gives the chance to land TWO attacks.

Even just using a long bow or rapier the second attack will do d8+5 = 9.5 damage while the 2d6 sneak attack damage that was sacrificed was only 7 damage.

So hitting with both attacks is BETTER than the 2d6 sneak damage given up. Hitting with ONE of the two attacks is either 2d6 worse or d8+5 + 8d6 BETTER (if your one SA attack would have missed) since you at least landed one of the attacks and if everything misses ... well they are equal ... but the odds of missing twice are a lot less than missing just once.

So, overall, the 5 levels to get extra attack are MUCH better than the possible 2d6 sneak attack lost. The real question is whether the rogue class features from 16 to 20 are worth the trade off for 5 levels in fighter/barbarian/paladin/ranger/warlock or six levels in bard/bladesinger (lose 3d6 sneak attack but arguably some really worthwhile additional features).

If you are a ranged rogue then the +2 archery from fighter or ranger makes the 5 level dip for extra attack even more worthwhile. As a ranger you can even throw in hunters mark for extra d6 damage on each hit if you really want it.

iTreeby
2018-10-04, 02:00 PM

Now the next part is you must hit. Getting a +2 to archery is great but it doesn't boost SA.

Someone mentioned a 17th level bonus to get an extra 3d6. That is your only true boost.

Assassin has a nice trick to give you auto crit. But it isn't always guaranteed.

The rules are terrible when it comes to surprise rounds. You still have to roll init and if you roll bad, the guy you attack knows you are there. Even though you are hidden and just blew a poison dart at them.

If you don't hit, you do zero sneak attack damage. Increases to accuracy boost sneak attack damage. Decreasing your accuracy is absolutely a debuf to sneak attack. Having 18 Dex is better for sneak attack than having 8 Dex (ignoring Str).

Having more chances to hit, gives you more chances to trigger sneak attack (until you hit). If you can't attack you do no sneak attack damage. If your only attack misses you do no sneak attack damage.

Maxilian
2018-10-04, 02:06 PM
Also note that getting a second attack gives two chances to land sneak attack AND also gives the chance to land TWO attacks.

Even just using a long bow or rapier the second attack will do d8+5 = 9.5 damage while the 2d6 sneak attack damage that was sacrificed was only 7 damage.

So hitting with both attacks is BETTER than the 2d6 sneak damage given up. Hitting with ONE of the two attacks is either 2d6 worse or d8+5 + 8d6 BETTER (if your one SA attack would have missed) since you at least landed one of the attacks and if everything misses ... well they are equal ... but the odds of missing twice are a lot less than missing just once.

So, overall, the 5 levels to get extra attack are MUCH better than the possible 2d6 sneak attack lost. The real question is whether the rogue class features from 16 to 20 are worth the trade off for 5 levels in fighter/barbarian/paladin/ranger/warlock or six levels in bard/bladesinger (lose 3d6 sneak attack but arguably some really worthwhile additional features).

If you are a ranged rogue then the +2 archery from fighter or ranger makes the 5 level dip for extra attack even more worthwhile. As a ranger you can even throw in hunters mark for extra d6 damage on each hit if you really want it.

You're completely right.

Maxilian
2018-10-04, 02:07 PM

For something to boost X, that something does not need to be only useful for X

Ganymede
2018-10-04, 02:08 PM
It requires a higher level, but the Inquisitive can enhance sneak attack damage by 3d6 under certain circumstances.

Inquisitives are also able to get sneak attacks in unique situations, such as against flying foes.

Keravath
2018-10-04, 02:11 PM
Weird - somehow a duplicate of post #54 - no idea how it was double posted with several other replies in between.

Steampunkette
2018-10-04, 02:58 PM
Whips. As the only finessable reach weapon, a whip allows you to sneak attack on enemies provoking attacks of opportunity by moving around at the edge of a reach range. That can do some magical things for increasing the number of sneak attacks you get in a round.

Just hold the Whip in your off hand for that specific benefit and use your more damaging weapon in your primary hand.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-04, 03:11 PM
Whips. As the only finessable reach weapon, a whip allows you to sneak attack on enemies provoking attacks of opportunity by moving around at the edge of a reach range. But can do some magical things for increasing the number of sneak attacks you get in a round.

Just hold the Whip in your off hand for that specific benefit and use your more damaging weapon in your primary hand.

Getting proficiency in whips can be tricky.

I'd allow a Rogue to have it however. They could say give up longsword proficiency for it.

Steampunkette
2018-10-04, 03:12 PM
Getting proficiency in whips can be tricky.

I'd allow a Rogue to have it however. They could say give up longsword proficiency for it.

.... I could've sworn they had that, baseline....

GlenSmash!
2018-10-04, 03:14 PM
.... I could've sworn they had that, baseline....

They should have. IMHO.

Archaeologist Rogue should be playable right out of the box.