PDA

View Full Version : [Spheres of Might/Power] Gestalt Character Creation Suggestions

Alsark
2018-10-03, 09:50 AM
So we're starting a new game using Spheres of Might and Spheres of Power (we can still use original classes, but spellcasting is all spheres), with Gestalt character creation, and I need some suggestions. I know I want to be "the tank", so I think one of my classes will be Sentinel. My head is spinning on finding a good complement to that. I was going to do Sentinel/Shifter but was told by my group that that wouldn't be a good combination. So then I thought Sentinel/Conscript but was told that would probably result in option overload (and I think I agree). My current thought is Sentinel/Investigator, but my GM seemed iffy on that.

So I need some help coming up with something that is:
- A tanky melee build
- Preferably at least one class in Spheres of Might, since I'd like to try that out (probably Sentinel for one of the classes but I'm open to options)
- Preferably has access to magic (not a strong requirement but it would probably help round me out)
- Wouldn't be overly complicated to play

I've been looking through a lot of options but I'm just spending too much time trying to figure something out since I'm not very familiar with what all of the classes and spheres have to offer.

Mehangel
2018-10-03, 10:05 AM
What about a Sentinel//Incanter (focusing ENTIRELY in the Protection sphere)?

stack
2018-10-03, 11:43 AM
Conscript heavy on guardian //incanter that grabs size change and long term buffs is probably the strongest. Sentinel works well, less talents. Shifter would be decent. You wouldn't be well positioned to make use of all the natural attack stuff if focused on patrol and AOOs though. Even dipping shifter to hit yourself with size change as a move while you patrol as a standard and challenge as a swift (with the right talents) would be handy even if the rest was incanter for whatever other effects you want.

Depending on the level range, if you want to use a shield, conscript may be needed to get the talents you want. Obviously the talent crunch lessens at higher levels.

Edit - Consider an SoM archetype paladin. Guardian for delayed damage (with a talent to make it nonlethal), Berserker for THP, lay on hands. Grab the Fey Foundling feat (+1 healing per die). You can afford to lower your AC with berserker and challenge to encourage enemies to attack you since you have significant healing as a swift. Patrol makes you hard to get around. Use casting form the other side to boost reach.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-10-03, 01:28 PM
On one side, go Fighter, taking the Impossible Warrior, Spirit Wielder, and War Hero archetypes. You can now cleave magic apart, have a scaling intelligent weapon, and get War Sphere totems you don’t have to waste time actually casting! You could also drop War Hero and pick up Coiled Blade for better Might progression than the other side will give you.

On the other, go Stormlord Bloodrager. This gets you a bit of casting, keeps full BAB thanks to Fighter, and can wade into your allies’ spell areas without fear! If you’re willing to drop Casting entirely, go Untouchable instead and really be a nightmare for casters.

Midnightninja
2018-10-03, 01:35 PM
So I need some help coming up with something that is:
- A tanky melee build

So you'll probably need reach (a polearm and/or size changes), lots of AoO's (feats and/or certain stat buffs), lots of (T)HP (class, sphere, and talent choice,), pretty good saves (class choice and stats), and a way to deal with conditions that can make life difficult for your character (Guardian sphere's got some good stuff in there. There's other).

- Preferably at least one class in Spheres of Might, since I'd like to try that out (probably Sentinel for one of the classes but I'm open to options)
- Preferably has access to magic (not a strong requirement but it would probably help round me out)
- Wouldn't be overly complicated to play

I've been looking through a lot of options but I'm just spending too much time trying to figure something out since I'm not very familiar with what all of the classes and spheres have to offer.

If you give me a level range I might be able to throw something together for you in the next few days. I've been trying to get better at SoP/M stuff so it'd be fun. When is the campaign starting?

Alsark
2018-10-03, 03:27 PM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions thus far! I'll definitely take a look and weigh each once I'm able to.

So you'll probably need reach (a polearm and/or size changes), lots of AoO's (feats and/or certain stat buffs), lots of (T)HP (class, sphere, and talent choice,), pretty good saves (class choice and stats), and a way to deal with conditions that can make life difficult for your character (Guardian sphere's got some good stuff in there. There's other).

If you give me a level range I might be able to throw something together for you in the next few days. I've been trying to get better at SoP/M stuff so it'd be fun. When is the campaign starting?

You certainly don't need to do that, but if you think it'd be fun, feel free! We're starting at level 1. My guess is we'll just play until we move onto something else/the GM gets busy... a random guess would be up to level 12? Don't feel the need to go that high on my behalf. The campaign will be starting [likely] next Sunday, or possibly the 21st.

Domar
2018-10-03, 03:54 PM
I'd recommend Mageknight (Marshal Controller) 2 / Sentinel 18 // Incanter ((Protection Sub-Specialization: Lattice Weaver) & (Master of Creation)) 20.

Marshal Controller grants you abilities that combine the Guardian and Protection spheres. The Extra Mystic Combat feat will get you more of these.

Most Incanter sphere specializations are terrible but the Lattice Weaver gives abilities that aren't just Protection talents but worse.

Master of Creation along with the talents Practiced Creation, Lengthened Creation and the feat Wall Master will let you create fortifications that last hours at no spell point cost as a full round action.