PDA

View Full Version : Scout Rogue/Monk ultimate skirmisher?

CTurbo
2018-10-03, 10:10 AM
I had the idea of a Monk with 3-5 levels of Scout Rogue to make the already good "Skirmisher" ability even better. Rogue's and Monks already mesh well together. By Rogue 3/Monk 6, you'd be able to move up to 30ft with your reaction if an enemy ends it's turn next to you. I know that's a bit gimmicky but this would not even be close to being a one trick pony. My only concern would be the overloaded Bonus Action and reaction possibilities with this combo. Cunning Action at least frees up ki to flurry with if needed.

But which Monk Monastic Tradition would best fit this?

iTreeby
2018-10-03, 10:50 AM
Way of shadow goes well with rogue because of pass without trace, the teleport, the darkness... It's a ninja.

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 10:56 AM
How are you moving 30 feet with your reaction?

That ability only lets you move half your speed, and your speed is 30 (base) + 15 from the 6 lvls in Monk, pushing it to 45, if you get Mobile, you would push your speed to 55 (making half your speed 27.5 feet), but to be fair, at that point, you will rarely be in the enemy reach.

Well... now your question, a good subclass for a skirmisher Monk:

-If you don't plan on getting the Mobile feat, Drunken Master is pretty good, as it will give you disengage bonus + 10 feet every time you use Flurry of Blows.

-Shadow Monk, give you more mobility with the possibility to teleport to shadows, and make you quite good against casters with the ability to cast darkness and silence.

-Open Hand might be the best one, as you could push your enemies prone or push them away whenever you use Flurry of Blows, making it less likely for them to get to you after you attack and run away. (would depend on your WIS)

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-03, 11:04 AM
I will be honest with you, there's not much to gain with that combination. The Scout's reaction ability is if an enemy ends their turn adjacent to you, but doesn't help you move away from that target. Any sort of skirmishing ability could help you pull off the same effect.

Swashbuckler Rogue, the Mobile feat, or being a Drunken Master Monk will all do almost identical things, not to mention that both RAI and RAW sneak attack doesn't work with unarmed strikes.

Now, if none of that matters, we have a few options:

If you don't care about sneak attacks, you can go Sun Soul to maintain your 30 foot distance at all times.
Long Death has the most sustainability if you're going in deep, and can Frighten an entire group of nearby enemies, so you can jump in, Fear, jump out.
Open Hand can allow you to push enemies out of placement, so you can bring their Wizard to the front to get pounded on.
Four Elements can allow you to use things like Thunderwave or Water Whip to manipulate the battlefield.
Kensei can take advantage of sneak attack easier than other options, and can fluidly bounce between ranges in combat.

BONUS ROUND:Battlerager Barbarian + Scout Rogue. Why? Grab people, and since they're "adjacent" to you, you just start booking it out of battle. You just grab someone, hug them with your spiny shoulderblades and just carry them off into the sunset.

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 11:08 AM
I will be honest with you, there's not much to gain with that combination. The Scout's reaction ability is if an enemy ends their turn adjacent to you, but doesn't help you move away from that target. Any sort of skirmishing ability could help you pull off the same effect.

I agree, even if the ability helps move away from the target, it helps after they attack, and you would want to have some distance between you and the enemy to evade being attacked (So really... not much of a point)

Swashbuckler Rogue, the Mobile feat, or being a Drunken Master Monk will all do almost identical things, not to mention that both RAI and RAW sneak attack doesn't work with unarmed strikes.

To be fair, he already have his extra attack, that could be used with any monk weapon that can also sneak attack (Flurry of Blows will not get advantage of the Sneak Attack, but not important if you already hit someone with it)

Note: Drunken Master, Mobile feat and Swashbuckler rogue helps a little more as they are done in your turn, so making it possible to evade the possibility of the enemy ever reaching you, that means that they will not attack you unless they got a range attack.

sophontteks
2018-10-03, 11:14 AM
The scout ability does prevent additional targets from attacking. A monk can handle one target attacking him, so there is value in preventing the enemy from swarming the monk. Is it enough value to he worth it? *shrugs* I'm not so sure.

CTurbo
2018-10-03, 02:57 PM
I was using Wood Elf + Mobile feat as the example when I said 30ft with the reaction.

No reason you couldn't use a short sword or dagger and get the sneak attack with one of your two attacks before the flurry.

I do like the idea of combining Scout with Shadow Monk. YOu could come out of the shadows and pummel an enemy, and retreat back to the shadows with your reaction movement if you wanted.

I like having super maneuverability in combat. Carry some healing potions and you could get to any ally if they're down.

nickl_2000
2018-10-03, 02:59 PM
I like having super maneuverability in combat. Carry some healing potions and you could get to any ally if they're down.

If you want that a Shadow Monk 6/Thief Rogue with the healer feat and potions would be absolutely amazing.

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 03:16 PM
I was using Wood Elf + Mobile feat as the example when I said 30ft with the reaction.

Good point, forgot that the Wood Elf have extra +5 speed.

If you want that a Shadow Monk 6/Thief Rogue with the healer feat and potions would be absolutely amazing.

Sounds like a plan.