PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Anti-magic magus. Help me with my next character

Selion
2018-10-03, 10:57 AM
The concept is that of a specialized bodyguard who has been trained against spellcasters (background is obviously deeper than that)
I like the idea that his sword would gain taste of magic tainted blood, so i'll pick the bladebound archetipe of the magus class.

Race: Human (Drow would also fit good in the concept because of SR, but drow magus is too much a clichè)

Stats (20 points build)
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 12
Int 16
Sag 8
Cha 10

Maybe the classic Dex/int dervish dancer build is more powerful, but i need room for feats to give a little flavor to the build and i think i won't lose too much in terms of CA and damage with a str build. Plus i hate playing with a rapier the first two levels to switch to a different weapon at level three (weapon finesse doesn't apply to scimitars).

Traits
magical lineage (shocking grasp)

Feats/Arcana
1th Combat casting, disruptive spell
3th Extra arcane pool
5th Blighting Critical, bonus feat (intensified spell)
6th Arcana(Disruptive)
7th Extra arcana (Arcane scent)
9th Arcana (Lingering Pain), extra arcana (spellbreaker)
11th Banishing Critical, Blighting critical mastery

I have doubts about disruptive spell. At level 1th i can cast disruptive shocking grasp (using magical lineage as trait), which gives me the characterization i need, but i find the DC of concentration checks too low to be effective.
The build should begin to be useful against spellcasters at level 5-6: i can apply spellblights with critical hits, give malus on concentration checks and force concentration checks using spellstrike with disruptive shocking grasp.
If my master allows it, there is a hexbreaker archetipe in the srd compatible with the bladebound magus, which would allow me to pick remove curse and break enchantment as spells, for extra flavour.
Do you know other feats, spells or whatever fits in this concept?

Lotheb
2018-10-03, 11:31 AM
You could grab step up, to make sure you can keep enemy casters within your threatened area if you don't use a reach weapon.

Combat reflexes, and teleport tactician, would help take advantage of Spellbreaker and let you make attacks of opportunity against someone teleporting away from you

Selion
2018-10-03, 12:28 PM
You could grab step up, to make sure you can keep enemy casters within your threatened area if you don't use a reach weapon.

Combat reflexes, and teleport tactician, would help take advantage of Spellbreaker and let you make attacks of opportunity against someone teleporting away from you

Thank you for the suggestion. Step up seems really mandatory, while teleport tactician has steep prerequisites and would only give me an attack of opportunity. I think my damage output without spellstrike on a melee attack is not enough to make it worth

ATHATH
2018-10-03, 12:55 PM
If you do go Hexcrafter, pick up the special gnome FCB for Magus (I think you can get it as a non-gnome by spending a feat or a trait (I don't remember which)) and get the ability to apply the Conductive quality to your weapons.

Fun fact: Conductive works with Hexes, so you can basically get a free Hex every round. Distraction, Disrupt Connection, and Steal Voice all seem to be/look thematic for an anti-mage, although I dunno how good they actually are.

EDIT: Wait, the Hexes have to be touch attacks. Is there a way to make a Hex count as a melee touch attack for the purposes of Conductive?

Selion
2018-10-04, 04:56 AM
If you do go Hexcrafter, pick up the special gnome FCB for Magus (I think you can get it as a non-gnome by spending a feat or a trait (I don't remember which)) and get the ability to apply the Conductive quality to your weapons.

Fun fact: Conductive works with Hexes, so you can basically get a free Hex every round. Distraction, Disrupt Connection, and Steal Voice all seem to be/look thematic for an anti-mage, although I dunno how good they actually are.

EDIT: Wait, the Hexes have to be touch attacks. Is there a way to make a Hex count as a melee touch attack for the purposes of Conductive?

Not that i know. Hexcrafter can use spellstrike on bestow curse, hexes are not spells. Steal voice is awesome, but it's a major curse available from level 12 on.
I was more interested in the hexbreaker archetipe, i'd lose the wonderful spell recall, but it fits perfectly in the character. I'll take both bladebound and hexbreaker if my master allows it.
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo-magus-archetypes/hexbreaker-magus-archetype/

I'm dubious about the whole disruptive/spellbreaker tree, because concentration checks seem unlikely to fail on pure spellcasters, maybe it works better with creatures with spellcasting abilities, which is not a bad thing. I'll skip spellbreaker and keep disruptive only to qualify for banishing critical.
Teleport tactician is nice, but i found there is a magus arcana which adds planar and phase locking to your weapon special qualities, that would be even better.
Furthermore, digging deeply in the srd i found "destructive dispel", which gives chances to stun an opponent on a successful dispel checks.

This is the new plan

Bladebound/hexbreaker magus

Feats/Arcana
1th Combat casting, disrupting spell
3th Step up
5th Blighting Critical, bonus feat (intensified spell)
6th Arcana(Disruptive)
7th Extra arcana (Arcane scent)
9th Arcana(Lingering Pain), extra arcana (planar hunter)
11th Banishing Critical, Destructive dispel

Do you think it will be effective?

Kurald Galain
2018-10-04, 05:41 AM
I'm dubious about the whole disruptive/spellbreaker tree, because concentration checks seem unlikely to fail on pure spellcasters, maybe it works better with creatures with spellcasting abilities, which is not a bad thing. I'll skip spellbreaker and keep disruptive only to qualify for banishing critical.
Spellbreaker is not very interesting. But disruptive itself is good, especially when combined with Step Up and other penalties to concentration checks. On pure spellcasters, forcing them to use lower-level spells is already a win for you. Yes, this is an effective combo.

I'd take Lingering Pain earlier, it's a good way to shut down casters. Arcane scent and planar hunter are pretty bad, I'd suggest skipping those.

Also, here's a guide. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus&) :smallcool:

Florian
2018-10-04, 07:54 AM
Hm. Looks pretty weak compared to what can be done with a regularDwarf Fighter 3 (Weapon Master)/Occultist 2 (Panoply Savant) VMC Magus build stub, when it comes to seriously countering magic.

Kurald Galain
2018-10-04, 09:03 AM
Hm. Looks pretty weak compared to what can be done with a regularDwarf Fighter 3 (Weapon Master)/Occultist 2 (Panoply Savant) VMC Magus build stub, when it comes to seriously countering magic.

I'm curious what you mean by that? I don't see anything in WM fighter or in Panoply Sav that does anything to counter magic.

Selion
2018-10-04, 09:38 AM

To be honest there are plenty of builds that would shut down casters in a better way, i don't get yours in particular, but probably even a straightforward cleric would do the job nicely, we all know that pathfinder is not a balanced game.
I just want to stick to a characterization and pick the best options I find