2018-10-03, 11:03 AM
I'm playing a halfling wild sorcerer. We rolled stats, after modifiers:
Str- 7
Dex- 17
Con- 15
Int- 13
Wis-13
Cha- 16

He is a halfling who is cursed with wild magic. It's an affliction and the magic is practically its own character which he currently has little power over.

To go with this I am taking subtle and twinned. With the following magic progression...
Level 1- resist elements, catapult- catapult works well with subtle and gives good flavor with the caster not being the origin. Resist elements so I don't die to a self-fireball.
Level 2- Shield- Shield needs no introduction.
Level 3- Enlarge/Reduce, Phantasmal Force (resist elements)- Enlarge/Reduce with twinned makes for good chaotic flavor in line with wild magic. Phantasmal force with subtle and I'm hoping it to be my bread and butter in most encounters.
Level 4- Mirror Image- A bunch of illusionary copies all hooting and hollaring to go with wild magic flavor.
Level 5- Haste, Fireball (catapult)- Haste for twinned, fireball for aoe and its something big to boost with certain wild effects. Catapult has run its course.

As many wild magic effects are negative effects centered around my character, he will be pushing closer to the front lines. The plan is to to this through twinned haste. Disengage with the extra action and just run behind the enemy (halflings can run through larger opponents.) And then run back. But I'm also hopeing mirror image plus shield plus the high con might allow me to do this sometimes without haste as well. At the very least he can when enemies break through the front line.

I'm thinking right now that I should take +1 dex and +1 con for the next ASI.

Anyway, sorcerers get so few spells, and wild magic is very hard to build around. I wanted to hear any other ideas or opinions while there is time for me to revise my plans. The party is a cleric, fighter, bard, and wizard. We are maybe a bit light on dps.

EDIT: should mention that currently we are planning to roll on the wild surge table after every spell cast. So, he will have advantage available on any save, attack, or ability check quite often.

ImproperJustice
2018-10-03, 12:15 PM
The general sorceror advice is pick what you want to be and stick to it.

If your gonna blast, blast and pick meta to back that up.

If your gonna control, control, etc....

With a Wild Sorc, you are a chaos engine and I think blasting fits that better than a subtle controller.
Try to focus the chaos on their side of the field so to speak.

Cantrips don’t trigger surges so fall back on those if you want to minimize chaos.
Then just go with the top picks listed in the various guides for what best fits your theme.

Asmotherion
2018-10-03, 01:11 PM
No Chaos Bolt? I'm Disapointed. :/

iTreeby
2018-10-03, 01:41 PM
The first time your hast gets dispelled you are gonna be really upset. And possibly also a potted plant.

sophontteks
2018-10-03, 02:42 PM
I'm aware of the haste consequences. Fortunately, why would they strike a potted plant? Its so absolutely obscene I just don't think the plant is even in any danger. But, yeah, it'll happen. I have high con, profeciency in con saves, and I can give advantage to one attack after. Still, it'll happen. We got us a wizard, and lore bard, hopefully they can counterspell any dispel.

As for being a blaster. I can swap subtle for empowered. But what else? Is there anything else I should change? PF is a fantastic spell even without it, but there is probably better. I'm pretty inexperienced with blasters overall.

And chaos bolt. Yeah. Catapult is a lot of fun though. It has more utility and only requires a somatic component. Chaos bolt was ruined in many etteras. If I could change the die with empower and garuntee an additional target with maximize, i'd take it. But with no way to tip the die, its lackluster.

EDIT: also, in defense of subtle spell.
Subtle casting phantasmal force, as I planned to, isn't exactly subtle. I can't think of anything more chaotic then making someones dead lover crawl up their leg without any warning. Add some wild surge and its pure chaos.

Vs. blasting. Fun factor is a big part or why I'm struggling to kick this plan. This is something only a sorcerer can do.

DarkKnightJin
2018-10-03, 03:09 PM
No Chaos Bolt? I'm Disapointed. :/

I was going through the Sorc 1st level spells for the idea of a Templar Paladin I have that survived his town getting magically purged, basically.

I was thinking of spells, saw Chaos Bolt, and went "Well, since he can't really control the 'mage' part of himself very well, it'd be a crime if I didn't pick that.."
I picked Shield for the other spell, though.
Gotta have that.

CTurbo
2018-10-03, 03:09 PM
I would definitely take +1 Dex and +1 Con asap, then beside the obvious pumping of Cha, I'd want the mobile feat eventually too.

I could see taking 2 levels of Warlock at some point, but not for Eldritch Blast cheese, but for more cantrips, more spells known, the short rest spell recharge, and Mage Armor without using a slot. Fiend would be what I would choose for the bit of temp hp, but any of them would work.

sophontteks
2018-10-03, 05:40 PM
I would definitely take +1 Dex and +1 Con asap, then beside the obvious pumping of Cha, I'd want the mobile feat eventually too.

I could see taking 2 levels of Warlock at some point, but not for Eldritch Blast cheese, but for more cantrips, more spells known, the short rest spell recharge, and Mage Armor without using a slot. Fiend would be what I would choose for the bit of temp hp, but any of them would work.
Yeah, I normally always go for the spell-casting attribute, but getting a bonus to both DEX and CON is just too good to pass up. I'd love mobile, but I can't just ignore my spellcasting attribute. That said there is some serious synergy there. I didn't notice that its a melee attack, not a melee weapon attack.

I probably won't be multiclassing, but I'll consider it later.

CTurbo
2018-10-03, 07:33 PM
Oh no doubt I would boost Cha before taking Mobile. I just think Mobile would be a good pick at some point.

I usually scoff when everybody everytime thinks that every build needs to be multiclassed so I really hate that I even suggested it lol. I just don't personally care for the Wild Sorcerer.

sophontteks
2018-10-03, 08:21 PM
Oh no doubt I would boost Cha before taking Mobile. I just think Mobile would be a good pick at some point.

I usually scoff when everybody everytime thinks that every build needs to be multiclassed so I really hate that I even suggested it lol. I just don't personally care for the Wild Sorcerer.
Any reasonable DM would just have you roll after you cast a spell. This is the 'bad' part of the wild sorcerer. It should just be written this way. But, if this is how he is played at the table, then wild sorcerers have advantage on everything, constantly.

Bend luck is one of the few ways one can reduce an opponents saving throw vs. your spells. For 2 sorcery you give your spell an average of +2 DC, and you can use this after seeing the roll.

These are two really strong things on their own. The trick is making the wild magic work for you. Its mostly fun factor, but a player can minimize the bad results and capitalize on the good ones with some care. Its all over at 14th when they can pick from two results. From there its smooth sailing and your just a caster with constant advantage and the ability to pierce through enemy saves. And occasionally you just go ham.

The wild magic is statistically bad, even though the results are normally good. A good result is "Win more" since encounters are normally balanced. The DM isn't trying to kill everyone normally. But the bad results can turn a normal encounter into a real mess. And you only gotta lose once. But, its also statistically just not that common. A good party can certainly work around those rare occurances, and again, when they hit 14, its no longer a problem.

I don't think its the best. It's not the worst. Its certainly more viable then people think.