PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerors: A pinch of help (Engraved spell)

Sindal
2018-10-03, 11:18 AM
So first of all, sorry if i'm adding to a pile of threats that have already talked about this. This is just my take/opinion on the matter

Hi yall.

If I was asked what my favorite class in 5e is, it's probably sorcerer (followed by ranger). I love the themes, i love the magic. They're cool dudes and I'd happily plan them with their current ruleset without much remorse.

Now depending on who you ask, sorcerers are either 'they do just fine ' or 'they're ****ty wizards'. As someone who plays them and dms (no expert), I thought I'd ask around for a little consensus of sort. I'd like to find out what exactly people would want out of them, and how they tend to fix it (if they do). In most cases, it's always a case of 'more something'. but the 'something' tends to change depending on who you ask because different people value different things.

Sorcerers are about 90% optimized as a class. They're pretty good. Anyone with access to a range of magic is going to get a job done one way or anything and you'll be hard pressed to doubt one that starts pulling typical twin spell or empowered spell tricks on ya. The only real problem, if you asked me, was that making a sorcerer almost feels like surgery. At lvl 1 you get 2 spells (ignoring your cantrips). That's probably a damage spell and a defense/utility spell so you can be functional. This generally means that you don't really get to branch out much of acceptable norms, unless you want to be 'less useful' than that other fellow who has all the spells.

And for fairness, that's fine. Not every class is gonna be a giant library of spells. That's cool. That can be the wizards thing, i don't have problems with that. That said, it does make your entry a bit rough, and as you go along you don't really get more tools to deal with how rough it remains. You get 'more things that have more limitations' instead.

So, I came up with a personal little tweak to sorcerers.
I haven't used it yet because I haven't had the chance to, so that's why i'm asking opinions around the block.
I'm going to list a couple more options as well based on ideas that I've seen flying around, but the first one is the one that I like the most. (possibly because i'm biased)

1) A new feature called 'Engraved spell'
"Your evergrowing connection with your arcane origin allows you to recall spells favored by it, ingrained into the fabric of your being"

At levels 1 , 3, 5 , 7 and 9 you learn an extra spell with the following criteria.
-the spell level must match your current highest spell level.
-the spell cannot be exchanged at a later stage for another
-if your sorcerious original would have you learn an additional spell at these levels, that spell functions as your engraved spell."

-So this is my attempt at giving sorcerers more known spells, but making it special to them and effectively bumping known spells from 15 to 15+5(special). Typically when you get a level, getting just one high level spell means you REALLY have to decide whats important right now. It takes into account spells that you would gain as a subclass feature (giant soul, shadow and divine) and gives a reason to pick the subclasses that don't have an automatic extra spell learnt, because these guys will have the most choice over what these spells will be

-(this part is a big extra that's probably going too far) I've also recently wondered about a follow up ability to these spells. Perhaps at lvl 8 or 9, you get a bonus for casting these spells. Something that's either subclass related, like making divine souls let out a pulse of healing, wild mage sorcerers will always treat this spell as a wild magic check but cannot receive a negative effect from it, Dragon sorcers upping having the spell cast one level higher if the spell is in line with their trait, and so on. Or, a neat idea as a blanket to all sorcerers: If you cast one of your ingrained spells, you have a chance to gain some sorcery points depending on the level of the spell, functioning as a way to refuel in battle and give sorcerers a way to 'cast' more by spending casts. Numbers can be tweaked, but it would solidify that sorcers are the guys who do alot of casting, because they're casting magic, compared to wizards, who are more prepared for every situation.

What's everyone's thoughts on that proposed change's balance.

Other tweaks (All viable, sometimes even together)
2)using the spellpoint system (and giving more sp)
-While a very popular option, technically sorcerers already do this if you convert their spells back and forth. Having it in slots, i think, just makes it eaiser to keep track of 'these are my spells, these are my special ability resources'.

3)More spellslots
-A straight buff to slots seems abusable in some regard. It's never my concern that I don't have enough magic, it's usually my concern that the spells I have won't be as impact as they could be. Spells can be a rather powerful resource when they pile up, and if you never seem to burn through your slots, then that'd be kinda bleh for everyone else who's constantly running out (espiecally classes like warlock who sometimes feel they REALLY don't have much to work with)

4) More meta magic, or all
-While this would be real nice, and probably could be implemented in conjunction with other solutions, there's an argument for personalization. Hopefully if you have a few more spells, you'll have more feasible situations to use your metamagics (If you have the SP)

5) Improvised spell.
-This is an idea I can't take credit for. Essentially, it's a 'rotating known spell' that resets every time you take a sort rest. Once you use it, you can chose to treat this known spell as 'any' of the available spells to sorcerers, and it remains as your known spell until you take a short rest and refresh it.
I like the flavor of this, as you could do a lot of very clutch 'I suddenly know counterspell' moments depending on the situation and it would fit in with sorcerors apparent natural ability to adapt and breath magic. Though i can see where it'll get annoying, if someone has to say "Is there a spell i can suddenly know to fix this problem?"

6) A set list of known spells learnt per subclass (usually 5)
-Another popular option and similar to my idea. This could work really well and if all else fails I would honestly take it, though I left mine open to choice because I'd like people to pick their own flare instead of going with what spells a subclass thinks your flare would be.

There are a bunch of smaller things like taking out material components to spells and the like, but they're pretty small and won't fix the troubles people tend to have.

Thoughts? If you like my idea or like one of the others, probably easier to reference that in your answer as your prefered fix....or just 7)Screw off sorcerors are fine yew
:smallsmile:

Unoriginal
2018-10-03, 11:31 AM
Sorcerers are fine and balanced, mechanically. The complain people have generally boils down that the Sorcerer is not "fun" to play due to the limitations of their spell selection. But honestly I've never seen anyone have fun engaging the wizard's "must spend time and gold copying spells" rules either (unless they were making fun of it), while a lot of people cite the wizard's capacity to expend their spell list as something that make them "better".

Like many things that are complained about in 5e, it's more a question of "it feels X" than of "it is X".

As for your houserule, well, I'm against boosting one class like you're proposing to do here unless all the classes receive a similarly powerful boost.

iTreeby
2018-10-03, 11:57 AM
Honestly I feel like the buff sorcerers need is to either
a) be able to cast all wizard spells,
b) have more unique spells on their own list or
c) have some kind of advanced learning

Metamagic is great, it's most of of the sorcerer class but it burns me up how often I see a spell I'd like to try a certain Metamagic on but can't get on my list without taking bard levels out the face. It feels like bard really steps on the toes of sorcerer this edition.

Sindal
2018-10-03, 11:59 AM
Honestly I feel like the buff sorcerers need is to either
a) be able to cast all wizard spells,
b) have more unique spells on their own list or
c) have some kind of advanced learning

Metamagic is great, it's most of of the sorcerer class but it burns me up how often I see a spell I'd like to try a certain Metamagic on but can't get on my list without taking bard levels out the face. It feels like bard really steps on the toes of sorcerer this edition.

What would advanced learning acutally mean though?

iTreeby
2018-10-03, 12:04 PM
Maybe they pick a school of magic at the start and can get spells form any list that is that school. Or maybe they can get them from any lists like bard but at a level lower than their highest spell known.

Sindal
2018-10-03, 12:10 PM
Maybe they pick a school of magic at the start and can get spells form any list that is that school. Or maybe they can get them from any lists like bard but at a level lower than their highest spell known.

It's an idea,
Though I tried to think of things that isn't just "Take spells from other people" or 'do the thing that wizards or bards already do'. Because it just increases the overlap

The sorcerer spell list isn't 'horrible'. Not amazing, but not horrible. You don't exactly have all the known spells to learn them anyway

Aaedimus
2018-10-03, 12:17 PM
I personally like the "improvised spell" with the caviatte that it be a once per day thing, and possibly adding a chance of failure. maybe based on an arcana check lol. It really would make sorcerers feel more like sorcerers while not taking the Wizard's glory.

The class is balanced, i agree with that statement, but I also agree that it could be more fun to play one. I will not play a sorcerer usually, specifically because of the spells known limitations. Infact, most of my multiclasses sacrifice brute force, building a massive list of 1st level pells prepared.

I think the once a day ability (maybe at level 3 or 5) of taking a chance of failure (and wasting a spell slot) to cast a spell I don't know would personally really make the sorcerer feel more raw and unpracticed power without throwing out that balance.

Maybe it could be a Feat!

Amemnon91
2018-10-03, 12:40 PM
Personally, I've never liked the idea of tweaking the default sorcerer spell capabilities. That's always kind of been their thing, limited spells but a lot more of them to cast then their fellow casters. 5e took that further and made metamagic exclusive to sorcerers which I'm both conflicted about and happy they made such a huge change to that system so that there's more to weighing what kind of caster you want to be than the traditional wizard > sorcerer from 3.5.

Speaking of 3.5 and to actually answer your question, one thing you may want to look into is adapting the knowstones from dragon magazine #333 (I think). They gave a way to ritually create an item that would let you know another spell for sorcerers only (again, I think).

As you play or dm, try to think of ways to even divinely or otherworldly influence a sorcerer's spell list. For example, a dragon sorcerer could receive a visit from a emissary of bahamut/tiamat and grant them X spell 1/day for loyal service or for a specific task. A wild sorcerer could draw from an ancient moonwell holding primordial energies that grants them the same kind of ability or different. Maybe a storm sorcerer takes an inert knowstone into a howling maelstrom to try and survive/charge it. This kind of gets into epic boons in the dm's guide but maybe you could use one of those too, at that level. DnD's all about making whatever you want to happen, happen. Just make it within reason/balance.

Aaedimus
2018-10-03, 12:41 PM
Sorcerers are fine and balanced, mechanically. The complain people have generally boils down that the Sorcerer is not "fun" to play due to the limitations of their spell selection. But honestly I've never seen anyone have fun engaging the wizard's "must spend time and gold copying spells" rules either (unless they were making fun of it), while a lot of people cite the wizard's capacity to expend their spell list as something that make them "better".

Like many things that are complained about in 5e, it's more a question of "it feels X" than of "it is X".

As for your houserule, well, I'm against boosting one class like you're proposing to do here unless all the classes receive a similarly powerful boost.

You're right here, and I definately agree, but the "isn't fun" part is pretty big. I think you could add some restricted features without throwing off the balance of the class.

I tend to throw magical items and boons to my players that have seemingly powerful implications, but I give them limitations and it keeps the game under control.

Infact, adding a magical item for the Sorcerer might fix the issue he's mentioning as well.

Give him a focus that allows a Arcana check 1/day to cast any spell on the sorcerer spell list (of a level you can cast). If you fail, you waste your action and a spell slot.

Make the DC for the check... 10 at the highest level spell slot you can cast, and every level down remove 1.

ex: at lvl 5 you can cast level 3 spells. So, an Arcana ability check of 10 would be required to cast a level 3 spell slot, and you'd need a 9 for a level 2 spell slot etc.

It would make Sorcerers more likely to gain proficiency in Arcana and take a hit for not doing so.

At lower levels this wouldn't be a huge change, in third tier play+ the lower level spells would be virtually guaranteed, but at those levels their usefulness is diminished a bit.

Question would be... how much would it affect the balance of the class or steal from the Wizard? We could play with the ability check DC to shift balance. And if it's a magic item, Wizards could benefit. And they're better at Arcana.

Or that could be a Metamagic option... That could possibly fit

Sindal
2018-10-03, 03:33 PM
Nice ideas.
Though I don't know how I feel about using magical items or divining a reason to give them more of whatever they need.
Things and events are all subjective and theres no way a player who's making a sorcerer woudl know unless I tell them its' going to happen.
I'd rather just include it into the package, so they know what they're getting as a sorcerer (Whichever it is)
I know it's all homebrewing in the end and there are lots of ways to fix a problem
But i wouldn't want to pick a class HOPING my dm will make it easier for me.

Might be worth a test, but someone is going to have to pick sorceror first.
And if the class is 'unappealing' and 'unfun' on a paper point, I can't test it easily x)
but there will be people

Aaedimus
2018-10-03, 03:40 PM
As I mentioned, including it as a feat or an expensive metamagic might be valid options, but I think you'd have to include the chance of spell failure to keep the class balanced at that point, and I really think it should be restricted to once a day.

Sindal
2018-10-03, 04:03 PM
As I mentioned, including it as a feat or an expensive metamagic might be valid options, but I think you'd have to include the chance of spell failure to keep the class balanced at that point, and I really think it should be restricted to once a day.

Suppose so, but I'm not a big fan of that improvised spell idea.
It's an idea, but not one i like as much. Still, anything is better than nothing.
There's so many resources they have to use anyway, shoving it into a metamagic, and a metamagic you have to choose, seems more like a punishment than a boon

I'll stop being negative =p

Amemnon91
2018-10-05, 09:38 AM
Nice ideas.
Though I don't know how I feel about using magical items or divining a reason to give them more of whatever they need.
Things and events are all subjective and theres no way a player who's making a sorcerer woudl know unless I tell them its' going to happen.
I'd rather just include it into the package, so they know what they're getting as a sorcerer (Whichever it is)
I know it's all homebrewing in the end and there are lots of ways to fix a problem
But i wouldn't want to pick a class HOPING my dm will make it easier for me.

Might be worth a test, but someone is going to have to pick sorceror first.
And if the class is 'unappealing' and 'unfun' on a paper point, I can't test it easily x)
but there will be people

That's a good point too, as a player I like planning my character out ahead of time at least for mechanics purposes like spells, items, etc. My thinking was that the extra spell influenced from items or otherwise would just be a happy little wrench thrown in the gears. But then you have to deal with favoritism arguments or trying to beef up other classes in a way that's not making anyone too op.

As a DM though, like you said, I wouldn't want a player picking a class hoping I would throw them some special candies.