PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Overly long Jump

Laserlight
2018-10-03, 01:50 PM
Alice has Move 30, STR20 and can cast Jump (the creature’s jump distance is tripled until the spell ends), during which time her Jump distance will be 60. She wants to longjump from one side of a canyon to the other.

Long Jump. When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing long jump, you can leap only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement.

So, my hypothesis of how this works:

Turn 1: Alice spends her action to cast Jump, runs 10ft, and leaps. She sails 20ft (her remaining movement allotment for this turn) and pauses in midair while everyone else cycles through Initiative.

Turn 2: Alice continues her Jump, moving...30ft? 60ft? Does she have an option whether to Dash or not? Let's say she wants to shoot a couple of arrows while she's midair, so she doesn't Dash. She moves 30ft and is now 50ft of the way across the canyon.

Turn 3: Alice spends 10ft of movement to complete her Jump, then lands with 20ft of movement remaining.

Debate, argument, advice whether sage or not?

PhantomSoul
2018-10-03, 02:12 PM
Based on Crawford, it seems you have to land (which is consistent with other things, like Monks running up walls); Levitation or Flight or Hovering would be required to stay midair. You could Dash with your Action (or, if able, with your Bonus Action) to go beyond your regular Speed, but it's still limited by how far you can Move that Turn.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/18/super-jump/

To be clear, things like the jump spell don't increase speed. You can jump crazy far, but your speed caps it.

Every foot jumped costs movement, so you can jump farther than your current speed if you take the Dash action.

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 02:32 PM
As far as i know, you cannot end your turn mid jump, you would need to land.

Naanomi
2018-10-03, 02:36 PM
New material has added to this, but I know you can get setup to jump at least 1080 feet... fighter (champion) 7/Rogue (thief) 3/Barbarian (totem, tiger) 3/Monk 2+ with max stats and appropriate magic items

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 02:38 PM
New material has added to this, but I know you can get setup to jump at least 1080 feet... fighter (champion) 7/Rogue (thief) 3/Barbarian (totem, tiger) 3/Monk 2+ with max stats and appropriate magic items

But can you actually make that jump by RAW? isn't the jump per se limited by your movement speed? (Not like it can't be increased, but that much?)

Naanomi
2018-10-03, 02:53 PM
The rules are unclear. Sage advice has usually erred on the side of 'you can only move as far as your movement allows in one turn on a single jump, which may include dash action and the like'.

In some situations, especially with lots of magic boosts, I would also allow a 'non-combat jump' to take several rounds of 'hang time' for greater distances.

Aaedimus
2018-10-03, 02:56 PM
The 30 ft movement speed has in many cases been used to cut off many of these ideas.

I bring your attention to the strider. A giant spider of the underdark that has a movement speed of 40, but can expend its entire movement speed to jump 60 ft in a straight line.

With this example, I therefore rule that the longer jumps are possible and occur in 1 turn expending your entire movement speed (because they exceeded it)

The spell states your jump distance is tripled. Citing the previous example, it should now be able to break the 30ft movement limit. Its a single ability/spell that overrides a single rule IE the Goliath ability that gives you a carry capacity of 1 size higher.

Additionally, if you are able to expand your movement (through Tabaxi buffs etc) I would rule (I think this isn't controversial) that the entire jump be subtracted from your total movement speed.

Maxilian
2018-10-03, 03:06 PM
The 30 ft movement speed has in many cases been used to cut off many of these ideas.

I bring your attention to the strider. A giant spider of the underdark that has a movement speed of 40, but can expend its entire movement speed to jump 60 ft in a straight line.

With this example, I therefore rule that the longer jumps are possible and occur in 1 turn expending your entire movement speed (because they exceeded it)

The spell states your jump distance is tripled. Citing the previous example, it should now be able to break the 30ft movement limit. Its a single ability/spell that overrides a single rule IE the Goliath ability that gives you a carry capacity of 1 size higher.

I don't think its a good comparison, because unlike a normal jump, the Strider (male or female) have an ability that let it move UP TO X, just like none of the abilities that affect jumps affect this ability, it should be seen the same way (as a particular thing).

Additionally, if you are able to expand your movement (through Tabaxi buffs etc) I would rule (I think this isn't controversial) that the entire jump be subtracted from your total movement speed.

Having in mind that sage advice pointed out that it counts total momvent speed (as it would work with the Dash action), then it would totally work.

rmnimoc
2018-10-04, 12:01 AM
Something to keep in mind is that when you jump, you're either rising or falling. That's just how jumping works. If you weren't falling or rising, you'd be hovering and as such flying and not jumping. According to XGtE, you fall at 500 feet per round. It doesn't matter whether you're jumping horizontally, vertically, or you just realized your standing on thin-air Looney Toons style, you're falling at the same rate once you hit your apex. Unless one side of that canyon is a thousand feet below the other, I'd advise against trying a jump that takes multiple turns. Actually I'd still advise against it because why take the 20d6 damage when you don't really need to.

Laserlight
2018-10-04, 05:24 PM
Something to keep in mind is that when you jump, you're either rising or falling. That's just how jumping works. If you weren't falling or rising, you'd be hovering and as such flying and not jumping.

Or in the middle of a jump when you cross from one Round to the next. The fact that a jump takes more than an arbitrary time to complete doesn't mean you're flying, it just means you're making a lengthy jump.

According to XGtE, you fall at 500 feet per round. It doesn't matter whether you're jumping horizontally, vertically, or you just realized your standing on thin-air Looney Toons style, you're falling at the same rate once you hit your apex. Unless one side of that canyon is a thousand feet below the other, I'd advise against trying a jump that takes multiple turns. Actually I'd still advise against it because why take the 20d6 damage when you don't really need to.

You don't jump in an exactly horizontal direction, there's an upward component to go along with the horizontal. If you can jump 100 feet horizontally, that means that you have enough +Y component such that by the time x =100, your downward acceleration from gravity has cancelled your original upward velocity and brought you back to Y = 0. And you land with the same force you pushed off with.

Laserlight
2018-10-04, 05:27 PM
Based on Crawford, it seems you have to land (which is consistent with other things, like Monks running up walls); Levitation or Flight or Hovering would be required to stay midair. You could Dash with your Action (or, if able, with your Bonus Action) to go beyond your regular Speed, but it's still limited by how far you can Move that Turn.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/18/super-jump/

I'm amused that Mearls said Yes and Crawford said No, but that at least gives us the Official (ie Crawford) Ruling. Thanks.

Bubzors
2018-10-04, 11:15 PM
Or in the middle of a jump when you cross from one Round to the next. The fact that a jump takes more than an arbitrary time to complete doesn't mean you're flying, it just means you're making a lengthy jump.

This is exactly how my group rules it. If for some reason, be it spell or magic item, allows you to jump that much it's fine. But if you cannot make up the whole distance with your normal move and dash, you end up in the middle of your jump during the round. During your next turn you complete the jump, subtracting from your movement speed, then act as normal if you can.

Makes for interesting scenarios of flying creatures attacking/deflecting your path midflight. Happened a few times to our barbarian with his Boots of Striding and Springing, and haste.