PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Running Dragon Heist: Any Tips or Cool Stories?

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-10-03, 02:04 PM
As the title says, I'm starting Dragon Heist with some new players on Friday. We might not actually make it to Waterdeep in the first session or two. I've got a little intro/tutorial for them to all learn the ropes before making it to the City of Splendor.

Anyway, how many of you have made it into this campaign yet? Any tips or tricks for running it? And what cool/unique stories have you seen in your parties either as a player or a DM? I'm curious how people have gone off the beaten path of the adventure. I'm also very excited for all the political intrigue that's about to happen.

Ganymede
2018-10-03, 02:37 PM
The Founders' Day Celebration is too good NOT to run.

Unoriginal
2018-10-03, 02:42 PM
The Founders' Day Celebration is too good NOT to run.

What's so good about it?

ErHo
2018-10-03, 04:04 PM
What's so good about it?

Whats NOT great about it?

:smallbiggrin:

Angelalex242
2018-10-04, 02:14 AM
Well, when running the manor...

The watch interrupted basically one round after the badguys were defeated.

One character (me), a Paladin, chose to stay and face and questioning. Being part of the Grey Hands, even though some of the bad guys were killed, he was released. Probably also helped he was a noble. Funny thing is, I have boots of flying. I could've easily escaped any time I wanted. I went the honor route anyway.

The other characters scattered to the winds, trying to stealth and athletics and illusion their way away from the guards.

And then a guy who'd only be here for one week, running a green dragonborn, actually attacked the city guard and got caught, and clapped in irons and thrown in the clink.

Foxhound438
2018-10-04, 03:53 PM
And then a guy who'd only be here for one week, running a green dragonborn, actually attacked the city guard and got caught, and clapped in irons and thrown in the clink.

Yeah, that's a thing that needs to be clear from the outset. Waterdeep is a huge successful city, some L1-4 jackwagon isn't ever going to think up, let alone pull off, a way to get away with a serious crime that the watch hasn't thwarted 10 times.

Aside from that, I'd say to read through the full 4 chapters before running, and have in mind who the villain is for your game. Having a good idea of what's happening off screen with the villain or in the near future for the characters can probably help you properly keep track of everything.

ciarannihill
2018-10-04, 04:00 PM
I'm only 1 full session into my running of it and my player's Half Orc Barbarian already got into a fist fight with a bunch of sailors at a pub and got thrown out of the Old Xoblob Shop for throwing trinkets at the owner.

So it's going well!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-10-04, 04:21 PM
I'm only 1 full session into my running of it and my player's Half Orc Barbarian already got into a fist fight with a bunch of sailors at a pub and got thrown out of the Old Xoblob Shop for throwing trinkets at the owner.

So it's going well!

nice nice nice :biggrin: