PDA

View Full Version : What if (Sorcerer)

Garfunion
2018-10-03, 04:17 PM
What if the sorcerer did not gain the metamagic feature. They would still gain font of magic and sorcery points class feature.

What would you give them instead? Also you can’t change features to the Bloodline archetypes.

Galithar
2018-10-03, 04:26 PM
I would give them enhanced magic. It is exactly the same as Metamagic but I changed the name! :P

If you take away a sorcerer's Metamagic you might as well Homebrew a class and give them the bits you want from the sorcerer class. Everything that a Sorcerer is good at is because of Metamagic, without it they are just really crappy wizards

supergoji18
2018-10-03, 04:41 PM
A transformation that is fueled by the sorcery points, and with additional powers that require spending sorcery points. Specifics would be determined by the Sorcerous Origin.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-03, 04:51 PM
Sorcerers are known for three things:

Control over their magic (Metamagic)
Limited known number of spells
Passive abilities that work with their spells

Assuming you don't plan on rewriting the entire class and you just want to remove Metamagic, I'd recommend ways to change out what spells they have access to on the fly. Maybe sorcerers have two sets of spells (one for each half of the brain, maybe?) that they can shuffle between each short rest.

Sorcerer abilities get a lot of support for melee-medium range combat, but they're squishy and all of the support is kinda half-assed (booming blade, dragon-blood AC, storm aura, Shield, etc). Maybe they regain energy based off of people dying near them, so they're incentivized to be closer in melee combat and utilize Shield or other melee-esc spells more often.

Garfunion
2018-10-03, 04:59 PM
The more a ponder my own question, the more I want to make the sorcerer a pet companion class. With an increasing in power arcane familiar. Depending on the bloodline you take would give your arcane familiar additional powers and unique appearance.

Galithar
2018-10-03, 07:01 PM
The more a ponder my own question, the more I want to make the sorcerer a pet companion class. With an increasing in power arcane familiar. Depending on the bloodline you take would give your arcane familiar additional powers and unique appearance.

While neat, it kind of stomps on beast master rangers and makes them even worse then they already are. (Except the revised UA beast master ranger which is an awesome meat sack with moderate damage)

opticalshadow
2018-10-03, 09:51 PM

I believe that is mostly what a Sylven sorceror from pathfinder was.

Millface
2018-10-03, 11:06 PM
I'd just give them twice the sorc points. In previous editions, sorcerers have always had more spell slots than other casters, sorc points make up for this somewhat. At 3, when you get 2, you get an extra highest level slot (2nd). Once metamagic comes into play, you're less likely to use them for that, and more likely to use them for additional effects. If you double the sorc points, the sorcerer looks more like it did in 3e, where it can get more mileage out of the day than other casters at the cost of fewer spells known.

Seems legit to me.

Corran
2018-10-04, 05:28 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?495592-Sorcerer-Rework) is a thread that might help. Unfortunately the link (that shows the pdf version) does not work for me, so perhaps you can contact the author of the thread to get it fixed if possible.

R.Shackleford
2018-10-04, 09:12 AM
What if the sorcerer did not gain the metamagic feature. They would still gain font of magic and sorcery points class feature.

What would you give them instead? Also you can’t change features to the Bloodline archetypes.

I would make meta magic not run off SP. Rebalanced a bit, of course.

Then their limited spells known would be a worthy trade off.

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-04, 10:20 AM
A transformation that is fueled by the sorcery points, and with additional powers that require spending sorcery points. Specifics would be determined by the Sorcerous Origin.

Ooh, I like the sound of this.

Have you any more specific ideas for the transformations?