PDA

View Full Version : Building a goblin tank

DigitalCharlie
2018-10-03, 05:49 PM
I'm joining a rather strange party, and they need someone who can take some hits and dish out solid single target damage. Because of where we're at storywise in SKT, I want to play a goblin — and I based on rolling stats I have... something very close the standard array: 17, 14, 13, 12, 9, 7.

I've been pondering a couple different options:

A ranger/life cleric (because the party goes down... a lot... and I could use healing spirit on myself during combat to add to the tankiness — and rangers don't get that much after 5 anyway)
A eldritch knight (shadowblade and extra ASIs are fun)
A bladesinger (which has been cleared, and again, shadowblade is fun. And conceptually, this amuses me)
A zealot barbarian (more hp = more more hits. Could be either str or dex.)

I'm having trouble deciding, because they mostly all seem viable enough and the party really just needs some extra damage contribution/soaking. I'm also up for any number of other ideas if you have them!

MagneticKitty
2018-10-04, 12:42 PM
17, 14, 13, 12, 9, 7
What about a moon druid?
Str 7, Dex 14+2, con 13+1, int 9, wis 17, cha 12

You can swap cha and int if desired.
Moon druids are nice and tanky.
Seems to fit the goblins savage nature.

Or you could live the dream and be a barbearian. Barb 3 / moon druid x
Stats:
Str 13, dex 14+2, con 12 + 1 , int 9, wis 17, cha 7
You rapier and shield in goblin form. Then turn into a raging bear and maul things to death

thoroughlyS
2018-10-04, 12:51 PM
What level are you starting at?

Sigreid
2018-10-04, 12:53 PM
I suggest plexiglas, at least 3 inches thick and 8 feet high to keep the goblins from getting out of their tank.

DigitalCharlie
2018-10-04, 02:06 PM
There's already a druid I the party (as well as a rogue and a bard), and I'd rather stick to other classes as much as possible.

We're starting at level 6.

Theodoxus
2018-10-04, 02:12 PM
A zealot barbarian (more hp = more more hits. Could be either str or dex.)

Have you considered Ancestral instead? Outside of Barbearian, they're the tankiest (and depending on what aspects of tanking, even tankier). Sluffing off pure damage regardless of what (non-psychic) source, is the barbearians forte, but Ancestral has that cool marking system, keeping foes on your face instead of your mates. Plus there's that nifty "hurt me, hurt you" aspect at higher levels.

Plus I like the idea of tribal goblins having dead ancestors stalking their every move, ready to pounce on anyone dissing the little guy.

Sigreid
2018-10-04, 02:14 PM
There's already a druid I the party (as well as a rogue and a bard), and I'd rather stick to other classes as much as possible.

We're starting at level 6.

I had a lot of fun with a goblin champion. Particularly playing up his anger at how hobgoblins treat his kind.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-04, 02:24 PM
Few people can soak up as many hits as a Bladesinger.

I will say that Ancestral Guardian barbarians are really strong and flavorful and cool....but they're also stupidly boring. "I run up and hit the biggest thing" will be a phrase you'll get very acquainted with.

Samurai have a lot of single target burst potential and are quite tanky.

Nature Cleric is a great tanking mage that I think is worth looking into.

And a Bard with Inspiring Leader can help a team soak a massive amount of damage and can help fill in the role of a melee combatant.

WeaselGuy
2018-10-04, 02:39 PM
I was doing some research earlier into making a tank, and a fear lockdown Conquest Paladin into Cavalier Fighter was striking my interest. You wanna go at least 7 Paladin, for the Aura, and at that point you might as well go 8 for the ASI. Here's a snip from the guide I was reading (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543427-The-Wall-of-Fear-A-Complete-Guide-to-the-Oath-of-Conquest), talking specifically about DEX based Paladin tanks.

The DEX Paladin
When I first started playing with the paladin class, I thought DEX builds were a farce. Something fun and different to experiment with, but not a serious path. I was wrong, even for a tanking build like the Oath of Conquest. If you're hungry for a different way to play the paladin, here's an overview.

Now, investing in DEX and not STR does come with costs. It leaves you more vulnerable to abilities that can displace you or knock you prone. Positioning matters for everyone, but it matters most for you as a tank. You lose access to Heavy Armor Master, which is a potent feat. You limit yourself to finesse weapons and are pretty much forced to take the Defense fighting style, meaning less attack damage. You become an easier target for being grappled. Remember that grapple involves a check, not a saving throw, meaning you won’t get the benefit of your Aura of Protection. Now, you can use DEX to contest a grapple, but you’ll need a background to get proficiency (Entertainer/Gladiator). Lastly, you won’t be able to multiclass. Multiclassing out of paladin requires 13 STR and CHA, and if you’ve invested that much in STR you’re not going to have enough points for a good DEX build.

However, the benefits can outweigh the costs. DEX saves are one of the most common in the game, so with Aura of Protection and a high DEX score you’ll be taking half damage from spells left and right. Half plate and a shield gets you to 19 AC, just 1 less than plate would. And—my favorite benefit—you get much better initiative rolls, making it easier for you to set up combat. Ironically, focusing on DEX instead of STR makes for a more conservative, defensive tank. If you want to make a DEX paladin with the Oath of Conquest, here are some tips:

Choose a race that can guarantee you 16 DEX and 20 CHA by level 8.
Take the Defense fighting style.
Start with a rapier and shield, then find some half plate as soon as possible.
Choose the Entertainer/Gladiator background for proficiency in Acrobatics.
Take Defensive Duelist at level 12 (or level 1 if you pick Variant Human).

Palfatreos
2018-10-04, 03:50 PM
Kensei monk lvl+ / War cleric 1

Str 7 Dex 17+2 Con 13+1 Int 9 Wis 14 Cha 13

the monk dont use any spell so level 1 dip in war cleric give you lvl 1 concentration spell that you can buff you or you allies.
Divine Favor (+1d4 radiant per weapon attack) , Shield of Faith (+2 ac) come dafault with war domain which great conc buff for monk.

the cantrips can be used to solve non-battle encounters or even be used as utility in battle
*guidance: a free 1d4 for ability check.
*light: fightin alot in the dark? you can cast it on your arrows and shoot it at your enemies now they shiny brightly :O
*thaumaturgy: got huge list but can mainly used for distraction/deception

lvl1
bless: great conc spell +1d4 on attack and save roll for 3 people
ritual spells: (Ceremony, Detect Magic, Detect Poison and Disease, Purify Food and Drink) Detect magic probably the only one who got a chance to be used as ritual but beside the lvl1 conc buff spell you not gonna use anything else with only 2 lvl 1 spell slot.

War Priest
From 1st level, when you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Although this bit of overlap with monk KI abilities and furry blow it still and extra source pool for extra damage when you dont have KI left or save your ki for something else. +this very great with your short bow kensei weapon able to shoot 3 arrow per turn (2 action + 1 bonus action)

Kensei monk
Kensei Weapons: Longsword, shortbow, Whip, Javelin, Net
longsword: this will be you main weapon especially when the monk die isnt 1d10
shortbow: normaly i would pick longbow but since goblin small creature it get disadvantage using those + once monk die overide the damage it doesn matter anymore.
whip: your enemy just 10 feet away of you can hit with you longsword? equip you longsword 1 handed and crack that whip :O
javelin: same for whip but for 30 feet away, once monk die 1d10 you just constanly run longsword in 1 hand and javelin in other hand (it look super weird but it works XD)
net: there no other weapon i can think of why not give an utility option now you can restrain your opponent while still damaging it!!! O.O

Depending how you gonna use your ASI you gonna be a very fast/versetile little goblin monk that can tank like hell with high ac + your proficient in all saving trows.

stats you wanna raise
DEX > WIS. dex for the damage + ac, wisdom to increase you ac + it help you wisdom skill. Most saving spells also dex/wisdom based so caster gonna hate you :3. Dex area damage spell if they fail you dont even get damage thank to ou monk evasion skills.

feat you prolly wanna get:
sentinel: basicly preventing your target to leave you in melee fight
lucky: always help to have extra rolls in bad rolls

Your ac gonna be 10+dex+wis+Agile Parry(kensei ability)+Shield of Faith(war cleric spell)

if your wisdom stay at 14 with no other buff your lowest ac will be: 17
with 20 wisdom and all buff your peak gonna be: 24