PDA

View Full Version : What to do with these stats?

Alexwellace
2018-10-03, 06:37 PM
Hey Guys, I've finally rolled up the stats for my College of Swords BardLock, and while not terrible...they do leave a lot to be desired. Applying all racial bonuses and already having used an ASI to boost my charisma to almost acceptible levels this is what I've ended up with. I'm a Lvl 5 character, 4 levels of College of Swords bard and 1 level of Hexblade Warlock. I am a Varient human and took the Blade Master feat, giving me +1 to hit with my sword along with some cool ribbon abilities, and I took the dueling fighting style.

Str 11 Dex 11 Con 14 Int 11 Wis 11 Cha 16.

So essentially I only have two bonuses, +2 Con and +3 Cha, everything else is no modifier at all. It's not quite as bad as it looks due to Jack of All Trades and a suitably nice amount of skill proficencies so I usually add some sort of bonus, but I'm unsure of where to take the character from here.

I'd like to get another level in Warlock to get invocations, and pre-rolling my plan was to take armour of shadows, but considering I'm currently wearing Scale mail (AC 13) and with my non-existent Dex mod Mage armour is worthless to me. Not to mention it puts me further away from the ASI's I think I need...

Talking of ASI's, what would I even do with them? Push Cha up to 18 would be nice, but it doesn't exactly round out my character. I could throw +1 Dex to give me +1 AC and Int (my magic weapon gives me adv on Intiative rolls) and throw the other into...str? I could look at taking a half feat, Resilient (Dex) would give me all that and also prof in the common Dex saves? Even with all that considered I could just take Warcaster, which alongside all the normal fancy stuff allows me to wield my shield effectively granting +2 AC.

I still like the character a lot, it's just the stats are a little awkward to work with and don't exactly point me where to take the character. I'm not useless at all (thank God for the Hexblade Cha to hit, meaning +7 to hit, so I can still play ball) but any advise on where to take the character would be appreciated. At a guess I think the campaign might reach level 12, at least 10.

dragoeniex
2018-10-03, 07:59 PM
It sounds like you've put a good amount of thought into how to make the most of your experience so far.

I agree feats vs ASI later is bound to define some part of your character. The options you've outlined are viable, though I wouldn't be so quick to write off charisma; that's your best and (depending on party) most unique stat that's going to bump your DC, spell hit, sword hit (thanks, hexblade), and potentially bonkers social checks.

But on top of that, it might help the board to give us more info.

Questions: How much further do you want to multiclass, if at all? What kind of out of combat things seem most fun to you? How set on going melee each fight are you? What's your party composition? What spells have you taken or are you eyeing?

That last one sticks out to me since you haven't said anything relating to spells, and you do have a full caster character here. There's a lot of room to play.

Also, typing out answers one bullet point at a time can help you get a feel for what's going to be the best fit. Which ones you enjoy answering and thinking about, etc.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-03, 08:58 PM
Ouch. i think this is the odd case where i would have gone standard human.

Still it sounds like you're making the best of it.

Alexwellace
2018-10-04, 01:08 AM
Before I multiclass anymore my top priority is reaching Bard 6, giving me extra attack and inspiration on short rest. I was originally going to head back to Warlock for at least level 2 for invocations, probably looking at Mask of Many Faces and Devil Sight? I don't see a benefit in reaching lvl 3 warlock, the level 2 spell slots are nice but the actual pacts don't seem fantastic to me, the party already has 2 familiars. I'd probably take Pact of the Tome? How far to multiclass is something I find very hard to gauge. Party is...kinda bad. 2 wizards, a warlock, a wild magic sorcerer, another bard, a paladin and an Eldrich Knight. So tl;dr we are suuuuuper frikkin magical, and I don't want to step on any toes, so I'm looking to be more combat orientated.

Spell-wise I'm not being super efficient, because I want to enthasise the martial aspect of the character. So I've gone a lot with buffing spells and social spells, the likes of Longstride, Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Healing word and Suggestion. I haven't even taking Eldrich Bolt! My only flashy spells are Heat Metal (too give me something to do with a bonus action) and Chill grasp (alluding to the dark secret behind my Hexblade).

So I think my options are currently Bard 8/Warlock 2, picking up some utility invocations, some high level spells and ASI/feat at 10. Vs Bard 6/Warlock 4 pact of the Tome, giving me a buttload of cantrips, potentially infinite rituals if I take Book of Shadows, that same ASI at 10 but limiting me to 3rd level slots and putting me considerably further away from magical secrets (which would probably be my level 12 capstone). Which of these choice looks best? What about the choice of Bard 10/Warlock 2 for magical secrets vs Bard 8/Warlock 4 for 2 ASI's instead of one?

nickl_2000
2018-10-04, 07:20 AM
You may want to consider the mobile feat. With your AC you really aren't going to be able to stand toe to toe with enemies, so the mobile feat could really help you get in do some damage then get out of combat safely.

However, you are right getting to level 6 in bard will be the best bonus for your overall damage. An extra attack will double your damage and font of inspiration will make a huge difference all around.

Keravath
2018-10-04, 08:02 AM
I'd agree with the poster who suggested being a regular human. All of those 11's become 12's and do something at least moderately useful. On top of that the 15 con and 15 cha would let you use an ASI to boost both to 16 rather than just charisma (at least based on how you described using an ASI to boost cha).

Blade Mastery gives you a +1 to hit and +1 to AC in parry stance (at the cost of your reaction). Boosting dex by being a regular human will also give you a +1 to AC all the time.

Taking 2 levels in hexblade will let you get devil's sight to see in the dark and agonizing blast to give you a decent ranged attack using eldritch blast (which supplements the bards spells).

However, because of the stats you will always lag in AC (at least with the dex at 12 you only lag by one when wearing medium armor and using a shield).

The stats might be better suited to lore bard rather than swords bard but you can probably make it work. You would need to use a shield though and may need to pick up the Warcaster feat down the road to enable casting spells with a somatic component while holding a sword and shield.

MaxWilson
2018-10-04, 08:11 AM
Hey Guys, I've finally rolled up the stats for my College of Swords BardLock, and while not terrible...they do leave a lot to be desired...

Str 11 Dex 11 Con 14 Int 11 Wis 11 Cha 16.

Hmmm. From the thread title I thought this was going to be asking what to do with a particular rolled stat array, but it looks like you've already made your decisions.

For the record, in my current mood, I'd probably turn 11/11/14/11/11/16 into a S 11 D 18 C 14 I 11 W 12 C 11 Wood Elf Sharpshooter SCAG Swashbuckler/Eldritch Knight, given the choice, aiming for SCAG Swashbuckler 9/EK 11 eventually. (The big difference between SCAG Swashbuckler and Xanathar's Swashbuckler is that SCAG Swashbucklers make better archers due to getting sneak attack at range.) Pure Eldritch Knight Sharpshooter with those same stats would also be a good option, or even just a tanky human S 17 D 12 C 14 I 11 W 11 C 11 Healer Cavalier if I were feeling simplistic. (HAM at level 4 for Str 18, then maybe GWM or Defensive Duelist depending on the campaign.)

Main thing is that you don't have the stats to get fancy, so stay relatively pure and SAD. That is not a stat array I would use for a gishy bard, although it's good enough (a sixteen right off the bat!) that I wouldn't use it for a Moon Druid either.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-04, 08:29 AM
You might consider starting Warlock-- that way you can use you vHuman feat on Heavy Armor Proficiency and not have to worry about Dex at all. You'll lose speed, but Longstrider is a level 1 Bard spell, and Bards don't lose any skills when you multiclass into them.

Build order-wise, I'd probably take go Warlock 1/Bard 8/Warlock +1/Bard +2. Get your ASIs as soon as possible.

Palfatreos
2018-10-04, 10:46 AM
Just a summerise for myself as far i understand you character current locked with (because looking at some people reply it seem they think you creating blank new character with option to change your initial setup)

Class: Sword bard 5/ hex warlock 1
Race: Vhuman
ASI: +2 cha, blade mastery
total stat: Str 11 Dex 11 Con 14 Int 11 Wis 11 Cha 16.

For stat focus you probably wanna go CHA>DEX maybe 1 extra wisdom since most spell wisdom save + skills.
CHA your bread and butter you want it 20 at all cost it effect your spell and you pact weapon.
Dex will be either 12 or 14 with medium armor.

I would either go sword bard 16/hex tome warlock 4 or sword bard 19/hex warlock 1.
this will give you 4 asi (instead of 3 if you only go 2 warlock). as for how to spend it
2 asi: 2 x +2 CHA
1 asi: warcaster (you can cast any spell while wearing shield+sword which pretty hand because you need the extra +2 ac)
1 asi: Resilient (Con save, +1dex)

Basicly the cha to improve your offense and feats for defense (keep your concentration spell up)/utility your ac would be medium armor + 1 dex mod + 2 shield so 14(Breastplate)+3 or 15(Half plate)+3 (stealth disadvantage).

Personaly i would go for sword bard 16/hex tome warlock 4.
1) You lose 9th lvl spell but you seem to be more hybred focus instead full caster so it shouldnt be big lose + your of heavy casters would cover it.
although the tome only 3 cantrips it is from any class + you missed some warlock cantrip that could enchant your blade attack.
*Eldritch Blast: althoug you might not use it that much it just a very versitile spell. it just an well rounded ranged spell if for some reason melee attack not an option.
*Booming Blade: spell attack that use your weapon attack + thunder (it a spell attack so you lose extra attack but the magic damage scales + with war caster you can use this as your reaction attack instead your attack of oppertunity)
*Green-Flame Blade: same as above but fire (both blade have slighlty different effect beside the extra magic damage)

2) invocation
*Agonizing Blast: now your eldrit blast has CHA modifier :O
*Devil's Sight: nice passive buff now you can see in any darkness 120 feet around you :)

3) warlock spell
lvl 1
*Hex: it a bonus action + 1d6 necrotic per hit + choose 1 ability disavantage on target + if target death you can ue bonus action to curse another one :O. (it need concentration though)
*Armor of Agathys: 5 temp hitpoint + 5 cold damage on the attacker if it melee attack. it not much but it a detergent to attack you + doesnt need conc

lvl 2
*Mirror image: 3 copies of you makes it possible the attacker hit one of the copy instead of you (unless opponent is immune to the effects of this spell if it can't see, relies on other senses to perceive the world, or if it can see through illusions.)

As for you first magical secret (bard lvl10) i would suggest "Find Greater Steed" spell it a lvl 4 spell from paladin you can summon a pegasus before battle and use it as mount (it wont dissepear unles killed or you return it) + you talk telephatic with it and understand one extra langauge beside the language it already know (pegasus already Understands Celestial, Common, Elvish, And Sylvan) so you eardrops with it :O . it has 90 fly speed so you become very mobile + while mounted, spell that target yourself can work for free on your mount to so if you selfbuff that mount get it to as long you mounted.

Alexwellace
2018-10-04, 11:03 AM
Wow Pal, that is really in depth and sort of exactly what I was looking for! Thanks to the rest of the responses, but that was fantastic. Really pointed out my options and what to do with them.

Think I’ll move towards the Bard 16/ Tome lock 4. You’re right about forgetting about the sword cantrips, I’d very much like to get my hands on Booming Blade. alongside Warcaster and Blade Master. Not 100% sure on the mechanics but dm will probably let Booming Blade reaction have advantage due to Blade Master which is a fun interaction.

If you’re willling to put in a bit more effort, what progression advise would you give up to level 10? I’m currently Bard 4 / Warlock 1, so take bard up to 8 then take warlock 2? Or would you suggest Bard to 6, pick up warlock 2 for invocations, then carry on to bard 8?

Palfatreos
2018-10-04, 12:08 PM
I would say bard 8/ warlock 4.

I am not familiar with bard spell so idk how big impact it is to delay higher level spells.
But you already going 6/1 for the extra attack so going to 8 bard only 2 level + you get 4th level spell while warlock although the invocation nice the devil sight only usefull in the dark + you dont have eldrit blast so that one wont help until you can grab at third level. If you dont plan to get eldrit blast then there more reason to get bard first.

The paladin probably gonna be you best buddy in the campaign this because the auras he provides, especially Aura of Protection which give people 10 feet aroun him (30 feet if he lvl 18 palaidn) + saving trows depending on his charisma (which would help alot defending you against caster that like to trow saving trow spell against you with the other mediocre stats you have).
Beside imagening a white pegasus paladin and a dark pegases bard/warlock ganging on a target seem both weird and amusing :P.

Fey
2018-10-04, 12:18 PM
, it's just the stats are a little awkward to work with and don't

Find a DM who uses point buy. Rolling for stats is nothing but trouble.