PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spell slots for a Cleric 4/Ranger 4

Finback
2018-10-03, 08:23 PM
Hi all,

Somewhat silly question, but I'm fixing a player's character sheet, and using the MPMB automatic template system to make it quicker. And for some reason, it has spells slots as 4/3/3 - but.. a level 4 cleric doesn't get level 3 slots, and a level 4 ranger can't cast spells that high.

Now, I've checked the PHB and the maths checks out - so really, this is just allowing that player to cast level 2 or lower spells, at a higher slot, yes?

Just that I can see my player be confused by this (because they had added l3 ranger spells to their list), and I want to be sure I'm explaining it properly to them.

Kane0
2018-10-03, 08:27 PM
They get slots as per a 6th level full caster (like a cleric), but the spells known/prepped of their classes individually. So they will be able to upcast to 3rd level slots but not pick 3rd level spells to cast.

Aaedimus
2018-10-03, 08:32 PM
A Ranger is a 1/2 caster so cleric 4 ranger 4 you'd get

1st lvl- 4 slots
2nd lvl- 3 slots
L3rd lvl- 3 slots

Ranger 3 you'd just lose 1 3rd lvl slot.

Aaedimus
2018-10-03, 08:34 PM
Download the 5e character sheet app. To level characters it's a $1 one time charge to support the app I think, and it's the easiest way I've found to build a character

The app symbol is a green D20

Also, the D&D website D&D beyond has a character builder.

Both of them autocalculate and build your character sheet

Finback
2018-10-03, 09:02 PM
Download the 5e character sheet app. To level characters it's a $1 one time charge to support the app I think, and it's the easiest way I've found to build a character

The app symbol is a green D20

Also, the D&D website D&D beyond has a character builder.

Both of them autocalculate and build your character sheet

Yes, the MPMB one does the same, and can be modded to include UA materials, etc. I just wanted to be sure I had the spell slots calculated properly.

ImproperJustice
2018-10-03, 10:23 PM
Suprisingly some spells on the Ranger list scale up pretty well.
Hail of Thorns being one.

ATHATH
2018-10-03, 10:31 PM
According to the multiclass rules, they'd have the spell slots of a 6th level full-caster but have the spells known (including the spell level cap on spells known) of a 4th level Cleric and a 4th level Ranger.

Finback
2018-10-04, 12:05 AM
Suprisingly some spells on the Ranger list scale up pretty well.
Hail of Thorns being one.

Yeah, I'm trying to get them to consider what it is they want to do. It seems they mostly REALLY just want the Healing Spirit spell for some reason (our party lost our player who was the cleric recently to the Work Demon). It seems to be more a background thing with the cleric idea, so I'm pitching them the idea of going Ranger 8, and taking the acolyte background. They also don't want to be melee based at all, and yet spent heaps of points on Str, and left Con at 8 - so I'm showing them that if they want to be "clutzy" (their words) as a combatant, then keeping Str low, and raising their HP will be better in the long run. Also, At R8, they can get two feats (or ASIs, etc), and I pointed out that Lucky and Sharpshooter fit their idea of being the ranged attacked well.

It feels like tey want to be the healer, but without any real solid healing - just relying on one spell, but don't want to take any spells that will actually make their ranged attacks useful. I had to explain as well that Hunter's Mark is a good thing - they said "but I get a +11" - so they didn't understand that's to hit; I presume they are thinking if a +1 weapon gives +1 to both, so does the +11 with proficiency, etc.