PDA

View Full Version : Minrah's little secret

banice
2018-10-04, 12:18 PM
Thor: That thing you've been worried about for a while that you'd rather I not say out loud in front of Durkon? Cool with me. You do you, kid.

Any speculation on what that thing is, or at least what its nature is?

Bastian Weaver
2018-10-04, 12:22 PM
Something gender-related, probably. And Durkon had specifically stated that he loves Thor in a purely heterosexual buddy sort of way, so perhaps it would bother him.
Or maybe she's a tree-hugger!

Rrmcklin
2018-10-04, 12:45 PM
It's "Durkon specifically" because Durkon is the one right there right now, not other people.

Seriously, personal matters don't stop being personal just because the you happen to be around someone who (probably) won't judge you for whatever it is.

I don't get ascribed more meaning to that scene besides the obvious "Thor is a cool, accepting god".

Tarthalion
2018-10-04, 12:51 PM
Or maybe she's a tree-hugger!

Much as I like this theory, her reaction to trees attacking Valhalla (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1136.html) says otherwise.

I don't know, and can't really guess, what her secret is and I don't think it's important to the plot, but I do think it will come out at some point.

It might be something as simple as not being attracted to male dwarves, so Hilgya's accusations (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1107.html) would be even more erroneous with that context...

Morty
2018-10-04, 12:52 PM
At this point I'm presuming it was something personal that matters to Minrah and no one else.

GreyTraveller
2018-10-04, 01:59 PM
I think this is the right answer.

It's whatever we want it to be, whatever thing about ourselves or our lives we worry that might cause a being of ultimate goodness to reject us - but instead we are accepted. I think what it is to Minrah almost doesn't matter. It's more about what we'd imagine and want it to be if we were in Minrah's place. :smallredface:

The Pilgrim
2018-10-04, 02:06 PM
The meaninf of Minrah's litlle secret is entirely dependant on the dirtiness of your mind.

martianmister
2018-10-04, 05:41 PM
She writes fanfiction about Thor and Loki.

Flame of Anor
2018-10-04, 05:50 PM
Just look closely at what Thor actually said:

You do you, kid.

Clearly Minrah had a high-level wizard create a simulacrum of herself and has been having intimate relations with it. :smalltongue: I figure I might as well get to the silly quasi-literalist position before someone does it in earnest.

factotum
2018-10-04, 06:00 PM
I don't know, and can't really guess, what her secret is and I don't think it's important to the plot, but I do think it will come out at some point.

Conversely, I don't think it's important to the plot and will never come out, because it was a one-line joke that wasn't ever intended to be taken seriously.

Tarthalion
2018-10-04, 06:17 PM
Conversely, I don't think it's important to the plot and will never come out, because it was a one-line joke that wasn't ever intended to be taken seriously.

Yeah, I've seen that opinion expressed before, but I don't see it. The Giant is pretty damn savvy and knows what catches the readers' attention. Alluding to a secret, but not revealing it, is a guaranteed curiosity grabber.

Now, sure, he might be playing with us forumites, and has no intent to reveal the secret, or even allude to it again, but he knew when he wrote the line that it was going to get serious attention.

Ruck
2018-10-04, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I've seen that opinion expressed before, but I don't see it. The Giant is pretty damn savvy and knows what catches the readers' attention. Alluding to a secret, but not revealing it, is a guaranteed curiosity grabber.

Now, sure, he might be playing with us forumites, and has no intent to reveal the secret, or even allude to it again, but he knew when he wrote the line that it was going to get serious attention.

"Sometimes, I put in details solely because it adds a touch of realism or detail to a panel. ... Not everything has a story attached to it, or at least, not a story worth telling." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8991248&postcount=29)

"[Sometimes] details are world-building, not foreshadowing. ... Conservation of Detail is overrated." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11671842&postcount=99)

martianmister
2018-10-04, 07:13 PM
I don't think it's a joke, unless I miss something funny about it, or something important plot-wise. Just a bit of characterization to show how sympathetic Thor is.

Rrmcklin
2018-10-04, 08:01 PM

"Sometimes, I put in details solely because it adds a touch of realism or detail to a panel. ... Not everything has a story attached to it, or at least, not a story worth telling." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8991248&postcount=29)

"[Sometimes] details are world-building, not foreshadowing. ... Conservation of Detail is overrated." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11671842&postcount=99)

Ruck's post basically address it, but I'd also like to add that Minrah is a minor character who knew basically nothing of the plot before now, and her secret is very clearly a personal matter. In what way does that scream something worth giving actual attention to in the plot?

I'm sure the Giant did know that line would get serious attention, but that's because I'm sure he's aware there are many people very much willing to look way deeper into things than they logically should, because it's come up over and over.

Larre Gannd
2018-10-04, 09:12 PM
I don't think it's a joke, unless I miss something funny about it, or something important plot-wise. Just a bit of characterization to show how sympathetic Thor is.

My take was that it wasn’t a joke, but rather to show that Thor cares about his clerics, and is super cool.

woweedd
2018-10-04, 10:51 PM
I doubt that her being not-straight is the secret. I mean, I get why people's minds would jump there, since our real-world experience vis-a-vis "secret which one might be concerned about their patron deity approving of" would seem to lead there but, not only does the OOTS wold not seem to have much homophobia, but Durkon, especially, doesn't seem the type to care.

Ruck
2018-10-04, 11:33 PM
I doubt that her being not-straight is the secret. I mean, I get why people's minds would jump there, since our real-world experience vis-a-vis "secret which one might be concerned about their patron deity approving of" would seem to lead there but, not only does the OOTS wold not seem to have much homophobia, but Durkon, especially, doesn't seem the type to care.

I don't think that matters nearly as much as it still being a personal thing you may or may not feel comfortable with and you want to disclose to people in your own time, and not something you wanted outed by your god to a near-stranger.

woweedd
2018-10-05, 01:25 AM
I don't think that matters nearly as much as it still being a personal thing you may or may not feel comfortable with and you want to disclose to people in your own time, and not something you wanted outed by your god to a near-stranger.
True, but I suspect, if it's ever revealed as more then a Noodle Incident, it'll be something she would actually have some reason to think Thor was concerned about.

Synesthesy
2018-10-05, 04:20 AM
I think that it's the typical secret that makes you feel shame, but it's not a bad thing. What in real world omosexuality is, or other sex related things. In oots world, this should not be the case; and we have seen that Durkons knows that Thor doesn't care, and he doesn't care too. For what we understand, Thor cares about marriage and fidelity, but not about what happen between adult people.

Said that, surely there are lots of things a dwarf isn't supposed to do, but that aren't really a bad thing, and that aren't sex related. But we don't know enough about dwarven culture to know what it should be. If I had to bet money, I think that Minrah doesn't enjoy religious functions as a cleric is supposed to be. Or maybe she doesn't like holy sacred to Thor metal music. We'll never know.

Bacon Elemental
2018-10-05, 07:25 AM
I dont know why, but for some reason I always assumed that she had a crush on Thor and is embarrassed to say so in front of another cleric of him.

But I agree that whatever the secret is, its entirely her business and not ours as far as we know.

Throknor
2018-10-05, 08:42 AM
My take was that it wasn’t a joke, but rather to show that Thor cares about his clerics, and is super cool.

This. It's to back up the 'I remember them all' sentiment and to counter Roy's belief that the gods don't really care about their followers as individuals.

And it could be something as simple as she doesn't like dwarven ale and prefers elven wine (which has been proposed in list form but I'm making as a straight assertion).

dps
2018-10-05, 10:33 PM
I dont know why, but for some reason I always assumed that she had a crush on Thor and is embarrassed to say so in front of another cleric of him.

Yeah, I figured something along those lines.

If it turns out to be something plot-relevant or important to characterization, we'll find out what it is; if not, we likely won't. It's fun to speculate about things, but in this case we have so little to go on that it's hard to get invested in the question.

RatElemental
2018-10-06, 01:27 AM
Her secret is clearly that she's a gnome in disguise pretending to be a dwarf so she can get into Valhalla. The only hitch in her plan is that she could have done that anyway without risking her soul to Hel by not opting into the Thor/Hel bet and instead just worshiping whichever god gets you into Valhalla otherwise.

It all lines up.

B. Dandelion
2018-10-06, 04:32 AM
This. It's to back up the 'I remember them all' sentiment and to counter Roy's belief that the gods don't really care about their followers as individuals.

Roy was still correct. He said the gods taken as a group don't have mortals' best interests as their highest priority.

Linneris
2018-10-06, 04:35 AM
It's meant to be deliberately ambiguous, and I won't be surprised if the Giant didn't decide for himself, either. Anything that would be generally considered embarrassing, but is harmless.

Valynie
2018-10-06, 08:59 AM
Obviously Durkon's mother want to have grandchildren and has arranged a marriage for Minrah and her son with her parents and Minrah does not know if Durkon is aware of this :)

Chronos
2018-10-06, 09:03 AM
The obvious answer is something sexual like orientation or masturbation. But there's no reason why it has to be obvious, and it could be any of the possibilities raised, and whatever it is, the point is the same: Thor pays attention to her and cares about her and doesn't want to embarrass her and is more accepting than people think.

ArkenBrony
2018-10-07, 10:47 AM
The obvious answer is something sexual like orientation or masturbation. But there's no reason why it has to be obvious, and it could be any of the possibilities raised, and whatever it is, the point is the same: Thor pays attention to her and cares about her and doesn't want to embarrass her and is more accepting than people think.

the Oots-verse has shown to be accepting to orientation. a masturbation thing seems possible but I really feel like it would be something less adult

Quartz
2018-10-08, 10:45 AM
Thor: That thing you've been worried about for a while that you'd rather I not say out loud in front of Durkon? Cool with me. You do you, kid.

Minrah used to be Harmin, a male dwarf, and she will be used to show Hilgya the error of her misandry.

Peelee
2018-10-08, 11:28 AM
Minrah used to be Harmin, a male dwarf, and she will be used to show Hilgya the error of her misandry.

Hilgya doesn't have misandry.

woweedd
2018-10-08, 12:17 PM
Hilgya doesn't have misandry.
I mean, she has a murderous hatred of Durkon, and also anyone who gets in her way, but she doesn't hate all men.

Themrys
2018-10-08, 03:39 PM
Obviously Durkon's mother want to have grandchildren and has arranged a marriage for Minrah and her son with her parents and Minrah does not know if Durkon is aware of this :)

I don't think she would do that to her son. She seems to have been a pretty great mother.

Doesn't mean she couldn't have known Minrah and not-so-subtly hinted at what a great match it would be if only Durkon were allowed to return ... but that's all I can imagine.

@Quartz: Hilgya doesn't have misandry. Not only does Hilgya not hate any male for being male (she hates some males for being jerks, not the same), she does not hate men at all. There's Men and there's Dwarves, and Hilgya only hates dwarves, as far as I can remember.

Emanick
2018-10-08, 06:11 PM
I don't think she would do that to her son. She seems to have been a pretty great mother.

I bet Durkon would be totally fine with an arranged marriage, especially if it was with someone he’s compatible with. Minrah seems like she might fit the bill.

napoleon_in_rag
2018-10-08, 07:23 PM

"You do you" seems to imply something that is usually considered strange and repulsive by a fair number of people, but is actually benign.

Why Durkon specifically, instead of other people in general?

Theory #1: Minrah secretly wants to multi-class into rogue or warlock.
Theory #2: Minrah secretly wants to be a vampire.

Ruck
2018-10-08, 08:03 PM
Theory #1: Minrah secretly wants to multi-class into rogue or warlock.

#2 seems like one of the few things Thor would not be cool with.

factotum
2018-10-08, 08:37 PM
There's Men and there's Dwarves, and Hilgya only hates dwarves, as far as I can remember.

She doesn't hate dwarves either--she seemed quite happy to be "getting it on" with Durkon back in Dorukan's Dungeon, and she didn't even particularly hate her husband (despite trying to kill him). What she hates is the rigid, hide-bound Dwarven society with all its rules and honour, and she was trying to kill her husband to get out of her arranged marriage to him.

Mordaedil
2018-10-09, 03:15 AM
If you were negative about it, you could say people are curious little buggers who don't know to mind their own business regarding someone elses personal matter, just stop digging already arrggh!

But if you were positive about it, you could point out that so deliberately pointing out that she has a secret is a Chekov's Gun moment and needs to come up at some point and you are just curiously exploring what it can be.

For the purpose of the latter and in service of the former, I suspect the matter is sexual and she feels it is personal and being unfamiliar with Durkon in certain aspects is still uncomfortable with him learning whatever it is about her, even if he would possibly be cool with it. A lot of the fear of coming out comes with the baggage of rejection or being treated differently, and there's nothing as painful as telling someone your feelings and facing either a cold shoulder or "special treatment" that is meant to be done out of concern, but comes off as ultimately self-serving and kind of belittling.

It doesn't help that everyone wants to hear something different and often don't know what they want to hear or don't like hearing what they first thought they wanted, making the coming out aspect even harder. "Okay. Cool." can be what they want to hear or they can find it dismissing. "Aw, honey, that's great for you" can be too much and kind of off-putting if you aren't in the right mood.

Often, the only thing that comes with coming out is regret you did.

banice
2018-10-12, 09:38 AM

Theory #2.5: Before Minrah knew what vampires really are like, she used to think they were really cool, and wrote fanfics about romances between vampires and dwarves.

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-15, 02:18 PM
Theory #2.5: Before Minrah knew what vampires really are like, she used to think they were really cool, and wrote fanfics about romances between vampires and dwarves. Twilight of the Gods being her working title, eh? :smallbiggrin: I like your take on this.

Fyraltari
2018-10-15, 02:49 PM
Twilight of the Gods being her working title, eh? :smallbiggrin: I like your take on this.

Götterdämn it! That was good.

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-15, 03:57 PM
Götterdämn it! That was good. Merci beaucoup, mon ami ... but I'm still batting below the Mendoza line (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendoza_Line). :smalleek:

Peelee
2018-10-15, 04:01 PM
the Mendoza line (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendoza_Line). :smalleek:

....dang, that's a poor legacy.

Fyraltari
2018-10-15, 04:02 PM
Merci beaucoup, mon ami ... but I'm still batting below the Mendoza line (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendoza_Line). :smalleek:

Don't be too hard on yourself, it really was a good joke.

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-15, 04:05 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself, it really was a good joke. Thank you again; what I was referring to was that for every hit, there are quite a few misses. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2018-10-15, 04:09 PM
Thank you again; what I was referring to was that for every hit, there are quite a few misses. :smallbiggrin:

https://i.imgflip.com/2k6gjg.jpg

Fyraltari
2018-10-15, 04:14 PM
Thank you again; what I was referring to was that for every hit, there are quite a few misses. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, I get it!