PDA

View Full Version : Making a fighter for the first time

ClockworkPlayer
2018-10-04, 12:43 PM
I've actually never used a fighter at all so I decided to quickly make one and see how well I did

Exdunt

Race-Dragonborn: I've decide to use a strength based build as I prefer Rogues and Rangers for Dex builds so for something unique for me i'll go strength based
Draconic Ansestory-Black Dragon: While acid resistance
isn't very useful due to how uncommon it is there are
also very few enemies that are resistant to acid so it
can be very powerful and can corrode through almost anything.

LV 3

Proficiencies-Perception: Useful any time to find any details in a room. Intimidation:Scary Dragon people are scary and scared people can tell you alot.

Fighting Style-Great Weapon Fighting:The ability to reroll critical failures is amazing

Martial Archetype-Samurai: I like the skills you ca get and combined with the character I'm making
Bonus Proficiency-Insight: Seeing peoples nervous
habits and lies is useful a lot of times

Ability Scores
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
18 16 16 9 12 12

Background-Soldier: Now for the backstory Exdunt was a Samurai in training hoping to be able to protect the ones he loved when war suddenly came to his land. He joined the army to help but had to suffer through the horrors of war. After that he decided to wander the world and try to find himself.
Despite the PTSD he is quite a fun nice person who wants to help people, but the PTSD is still there and can come out at the worst of times.
Proficiencies-Athletics:Climbing, Grappling, Chasing all
good to use in and out of combat. Stealth: Advantage
attacks are useful for all classes

Weapons-Halberd, Longsword: The main weapons of the Samurai were the Katana and Naginata and the closest thing to them are these 2 weapons plus they work with the Fighting Style and Samurai usually don't miss

So does this look like a good build what can I do to improve it please tell.

ciarannihill
2018-10-04, 12:54 PM
So two things to note: Critical failures aren't a thing in 5E, and GWF doesn't allow you to reroll 1s on the d20, it allows you to reroll 1s and 2s on the damage dice.

I wouldn't put so much into Dex -- if you're wearing Heavy Armor it's mostly useless except for initiative and if Medium armor then there's a capped usefulness to it. I'd put one of the 12s in Dex and the 16 into Wisdom or Charisma. Unless you plan on forgoing armor and dipping Barbarian, which could be cool, but it doesn't sound like that's the character image you're going for unless the PTSD manifests as anger and violence*, which could be interesting in it's own right.

Other than that, enjoy!

*With the understanding that this isn't a common manifestation of PTSD, but one that can happen.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-04, 12:58 PM
This is really quite well done!

I will note that Fighters are generally some of the most straightforward (and borderline dull) combatants. If you've never played a Fighter before, you may be used to having more combat tricks. If that's true, the Battlemaster can bridge that gap.

The Samurai can also do well with ranged weapons, too, as the advantage on your attacks is not strict on melee weapon attacks. Now, you're going Strength, so while bows might not be good, Javelins would be a great choice to use.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-04, 01:09 PM
Apart from the misconception about GWF it looks like a fine fighter. Though I personally would put on of those 16s in Wisdom.

Specter
2018-10-04, 03:07 PM
DEX on heavy armor is mostly wasted. Put that 16 on WIS for a samurai feel, or CHA if you intend to take Inspiring Leader/take a CHA multiclass.

ClockworkPlayer
2018-10-05, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the criticism and improvements

Corran
2018-10-05, 09:19 AM
As other people already said, there is not much value in keeping your DEX at 16. But... if high dex fits your samurai concept, and seeing that you also included stealth in your skill selection, you could always grab the medium armor master (MAM) feat, which plays very nicely with a 16 dex score, so that you can enjoy the benefits of both a maxed AC and a good stealth score. It's not the greatest feat in the book, but seeing your stats are very good and since fighters get a couple extra feats, it might be just right for you.

ps: The lack of darkvision can be a pain for stealthy characters. IMO dragonborns are on the weak side as races go. If I were you, I would ask my DM to add darkvision as a racial feature to dragonborns. Even thematically it fits (as a ''dragon spawn'' you have heightened senses).

Edit: Leaving this (https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=yzWJLi0d&id=FCA3D379A6627B702225A7D323B33D41FC25E334&thid=OIP.yzWJLi0diJQDZfvhcsPUQQHaM7&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2f236x%2fdf%2f3c%2f5b%2fdf3c5bee428 5d9ab05ac728f61c5031a.jpg&exph=412&expw=236&q=cleric+of+bane+pics&simid=607990994614095225&selectedIndex=6) here.