PDA

View Full Version : Feats for minor class features

ciarannihill
2018-10-04, 12:46 PM
So I was reminded recently of the Martial Adept feats, and was thinking of how it and Magic Initiate allow a character access to a class/archetype ability they might not otherwise have access to, albeit in a potentially weaker form...
And I thought it might be interesting to create feats with a similar principle, take interesting or unique combat options normally restricted to a single class/archetype and make strictly worse versions available as feats.
Also worth noting is that Martial Adept in particular also strictly enhances the base ability if you already have it, instead of giving you just the weakened version, so I think this might be an interesting way of expanding the scope slightly to enable thematic features for a character without having to invest into a class that overall might not be thematically or mechanically ideal for your character.

Magic Controller-
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
Your experience with magic has afforded you precision control over some aspects of spellcasting. You gain the following benefits: You learn one metamagic option from among those available to the Sorcerer class. If you already have sorcery points, you gain 1 more. If not, you have one sorcery point to fuel your metamagic, you regain your expended sorcery points when you finish a long rest.

Fighting Style-
You have dedicated yourself to the art of combat with a specific style, your experience with it has afforded you additional skill. You gain one fighting style option from those available to the Fighter class.

Vital Strike-
Your skill in combat has afforded you insight into your enemies' defense. You gain the following benefits: Your melee weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Once per turn, you can deal extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll

Hunting Adept-
You become skilled at taking down specific types of prey. You learn one Hunter's Prey feature from the Hunter archetype of the Ranger class. You can use this feature once per short rest.

I'm willing to accept that some of these are imbalanced a bit, either under or overpowered, they're mostly just spitballs.

Just some thoughts, anyone else have some ideas in this vein?

Theodoxus
2018-10-04, 02:34 PM
The metamagic one is kinda broken (in a bad way), in granting only 1 sorcery point. For a sorcerer who just needs that extra metamagic for some reason, it's not bad. But anyone else will be limited in what they can take - or it's a trap, grabbing something like Heightened and never being able to use it.

I would change it to: Gain sorcery points equal to your Charisma Modifier. This would be a decent boost for a sorcerer and useful for anyone else, especially a Bard, Paladin or Warlock. If you think that's too powerful for a sorc, you could put limits on it, though it gets wordy at that point for little benefit.

I have the Fighting Style feat in my own games, and haven't run into any issues with it.

Vital Strike is too powerful as written. It would be a feat tax for every character I played, they'd all be VHumans and they'd grab this at 1st level.

I would change it to require a minimum level, probably 6th for fighters to grab, or a 2/4 multiclass, and everyone else could get it at 8th. On a rogue in particular, that's a $#|^ton of dice you're doubling on a crit without 3 levels of Fighter or 1 level of Hexblade and an active curse...

I have this feat, as a Fighter only feat in my games. Interestingly enough, no one has taken it yet:
Paragon of CombatPrerequisite: Fighter
Your weapon and spell attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. If you later gain an ability, such as the Champion's Improved Critical or Hexblade's Curse, your attacks score a critical on an 18-20; and Superior Critical improves to 17-20.

Hunting Adept is ok. You'll probably want to note that it doesn't stack with the same Hunter ability...

As for my own feats, I'm quite happy with:
Thief-AcrobatPrerequisite: Rogue
A quarterstaff is considered a finesse weapon in your hands, allowing you to use your Dexterity Modifier for attack and damage rolls when wielding a quarterstaff. Any sneak damage while using a quarterstaff two handed deals d8s instead of d6s.
You gain expertise in acrobatics (or another skill, if you already have expertise in that skill).

Expanded MindPrerequisite: 5th level
You can maintain concentration spells equal to your Proficiency Bonus -1.

LuckyWhen you finish a long rest, you gain two Inspiration instead of one.(I grant 1 inspiration at the start of a session, as I'm notorious for forgetting to hand them out in session.)

Yanked for Pathfinder 2...
Skilled - Expert*Prerequisite: Attribute associated with the Save or Skill 13 or higher; 3rd level or higher
Pick any combination of six saving throws, skills, tools or weapons you are Trained in. You are now an Expert in these, gaining a +1 bonus to your proficiency when using them.
Skilled - Master*Prerequisite: Attribute associated with the Save or Skill 15 or higher; 7th level or higher
Pick any combination of three saving throws, skills, tools or weapons you are an Expert in. You are now a Master of these, gaining a +2 bonus to your proficiency when using them.
Skilled - Legend*Prerequisite: Attribute associated with the Save or Skill 17 or higher; 15th level or higher
Pick a single save, skill, tool or weapon you are a Master of. You are now a Legend with it, gaining a +3 bonus to your proficiency when using it.

Weapon SpecializationPrerequisites: Proficiency in Simple and Martial Weapons. Choose a specific type of weapon, such as longsword, maul or warhammer; it is your specialized weapon.
Increase the damage dealt with your specialized weapon by 1d4.
Reroll any attack roll of a 1 made with your specialized weapon, keeping the results of your second roll.
You automatically become an Expert in your specialization at 3rd level (or when you take this feat if after 3rd level).
You automatically become a Master in your specialization at 7th level (or when you take this feat if after 7th level).
You automatically become a Legend in your specialization at 15th level (or when you take this feat if after 15th level).

I've got a ton of feats for my game, mostly cribbed from Playgrounders and playtested for over a year now. The rules are pretty much set in drying cement at this point.

Millface
2018-10-04, 02:55 PM
For sure Vital Strike would be a must pick.

The champion level 3 ability is nearly the only reason to even dip the subclass, it's definitely not a minor ability!

Other than that, yeah, the sorcery one needs more points or it's worthless, with more points it becomes quite intriguing. I wouldn't always take it, but if I had a good enough idea for it it's viable. That's perfect.

Fighting style for sure. I don't see why that's not already in the game.