PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Eberron: DM Character Convincing (Part 2)

Getsugaru
2018-10-04, 02:45 PM
Recently I posted a thread asking for help convincing a DM to allow an Anthropomorphic Whale in an Eberron campaign. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?570482-3-5-Eberron-DM-Character-Convincing) While he's willing, he's wanting me to consider another character, in part because the former might be too strong for the group (literally), in part because of natural HD, and in part because another player intends to be a front-liner as well and he's worried I may overshadow him. Again, I am known for outlandish ideas and fantastical race choices, and am now considering for my backup character a Hengeyokai2 (Thank you, Dragon Magazine3 for the update!). This one has its problems too, however. Hengeyokai are superficially quite similar to Lycanthropes, and my DM has (rightly) pointed out that the church of the Silver Flame - the followers of if not the hierarchy itself - would likely struggle to differentiate between them and Lycanthropes during their purge. However, he's willing to consider this as well if I can find a reasonable explanation for their presence in Khorvaire.

Thanks in advance once again for any help!

2: Oriental Adventures, 10-12
Dragon Magazine 318, 34

OgresAreCute
2018-10-04, 03:04 PM
You could try to swing it like some off-shoot/subrace of Shifters? Eberron already has a bunch of shapeshifters, so I'd tie into that.

DeTess
2018-10-04, 03:06 PM
Recently I posted a thread asking for help convincing a DM to allow an Anthropomorphic Whale in an Eberron campaign. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?570482-3-5-Eberron-DM-Character-Convincing) While he's willing, he's wanting me to consider another character, in part because the former might be too strong for the group (literally), in part because of natural HD, and in part because another player intends to be a front-liner as well and he's worried I may overshadow him. Again, I am known for outlandish ideas and fantastical race choices, and am now considering for my backup character a Hengeyokai2 (Thank you, Dragon Magazine3 for the update!). This one has its problems too, however. Hengeyokai are superficially quite similar to Lycanthropes, and my DM has (rightly) pointed out that the church of the Silver Flame - the followers of if not the hierarchy itself - would likely struggle to differentiate between them and Lycanthropes during their purge. However, he's willing to consider this as well if I can find a reasonable explanation for their presence in Khorvaire.

Dragon Magazine 318, 34

I'm not 100% up to date on the fluff, but could the Hengeyokai be described as a kind of reclusive one-with-nature tribe, kinda like wood elves? Their turning into animal forms would be because of their relation with nature magic and the like, and not some kind of evil curse or whatever. I assume the church f the silver flame has no beef with druids?

White Blade
2018-10-04, 03:23 PM

Dragon Magazine 318, 34
You could be an immigrant or emissary from Lamnia or a member of a family born in a Lamnian manifest zone, depending on how much impact you want to have on the campaign world. The Eldeen Reaches are an obvious origin point for such a character, but as long as you aren't urban you could be anywhere - Droamm, the Shadow Marches, or Q'barra are nations that lack such origins. As a bonus, most of these places are scarce for Purified members. This leaves you unique and tribe less.

If you want to be a member of a tribal society, Lamnia, Aerenal, Argonnessen, and Droamm could all theoretically host Hengeyokai tribes, though the dynamics would be different. From Aerenal and Argonnessen, your race has potentially testy relationships with greater powers than your own. From Lamnia, you would be an alien. Droamm would make you a member of a completely different society (be sure to pick up Goblin, which is the trade tongue in Droamm, iirc) and from only freshly civilized and only barely civilized territory. Your tribe would also have to navigate its relationship with the Daughters of Sora Kel.

EDIT: In addition to Lamnia, potentially also Thelanis as an extrapljnar option.