PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Are paladin abilities blocked by an antimagic field?

holywhippet
2018-10-05, 05:02 AM
I suppose divine smite would be since it is fueled by spell slots. But what about other paladin abilities like their aura of protection? Or lay on hands?

Unoriginal
2018-10-05, 05:11 AM
I suppose divine smite would be since it is fueled by spell slots. But what about other paladin abilities like their aura of protection? Or lay on hands?

The Paladin's spellcasting, Smite, and Divine Intervention are noted as magical effects or using spell slots, meaning they would be blocked by AMF.

However, the Divine Sense, Lay of Hand, and Aura do not have this wording. Ergo, like it is said in the FAQ, they're part of the world's inherent magic field and such are not blocked by AMF, just like a Dragon's breath.

ErHo
2018-10-05, 11:19 AM
Throwing a beholder at the group soon, this is info I had not anticipated as far as the exceptions for class abilities.

Would it not be the same thing as a natural ability from a race as well since it doesnt use spell slots?

Unoriginal
2018-10-05, 11:41 AM
Throwing a beholder at the group soon, this is info I had not anticipated as far as the exceptions for class abilities.

Would it not be the same thing as a natural ability from a race as well since it doesnt use spell slots?

Officially: if the ability uses spells, spell slots, or if the text mentions it is magical or produce magical effects, then it is suppressed. Otherwise it is not.

holywhippet
2018-10-05, 02:39 PM
OK, thanks. Interesting then that a couple of warlock abilities are likewise unaffected. They can literally send someone on a trip through Hell while still inside of an antimagic field.

Angelalex242
2018-10-05, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Odds are, against a beholder, the Paladin's first task is getting out of the antimagic field. His second task is burning a spell smite and his divine smite for every bit of damage he can squeeze out of two attacks. Beholders are good times to cut loose with your full power.