PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Party in poop - pls help :D

Pinjata
2018-10-05, 05:29 AM
Hey guys,

My group is nose deep in poop and I'd appreciate any ideas how to get out. (In game)

We're playing a lvl 9 Barbarian, a Cleric, Ranger, Wizard and a Warlock. In a Not-Mayan setting (Chult, Faerun, 5e). We had it easy so far. We have wasted a few dozen goblins in a ruined city, some yuan-ti and an occasional tyrranosaurus rex.

Then we got into this dungeon, where we got swamped by about two dozen lizardfolk(buffed version, not CR3 or whatever they are in MM) plus yuan-ti casters. It all went fine until the lizardfolk released two basilisks upon us. A round later Cleric and Ranger got turned to stone. Barbarian got reduced to 0 hp and got knocked out. Wizard and Warlock have fled.

W&W have fled the ruined city, back to the parties' main camp. They have there another NPC Weak guy and another, we suspect, quite strong NPC. This latter guy is an adventurer, is sort of tagging along, but is looking for this specific Evil guy and is not as interested in looting as our group. He can probably help (let's say he is lvl 14 Arcane Trickster for the sake of debate.)

So. Me and the Wizard are figuring out what to do. We may get more info from the DM next session, but adittional ideas never hurt.

Thanks

DeTess
2018-10-05, 05:45 AM
Hey guys,

My group is nose deep in poop and I'd appreciate any ideas how to get out. (In game)

We're playing a lvl 9 Barbarian, a Cleric, Ranger, Wizard and a Warlock. In a Not-Mayan setting (Chult, Faerun, 5e). We had it easy so far. We have wasted a few dozen goblins in a ruined city, some yuan-ti and an occasional tyrranosaurus rex.

Then we got into this dungeon, where we got swamped by about two dozen lizardfolk(buffed version, not CR3 or whatever they are in MM) plus yuan-ti casters. It all went fine until the lizardfolk released two basilisks upon us. A round later Cleric and Ranger got turned to stone. Barbarian got reduced to 0 hp and got knocked out. Wizard and Warlock have fled.

W&W have fled the ruined city, back to the parties' main camp. They have there another NPC Weak guy and another, we suspect, quite strong NPC. This latter guy is an adventurer, is sort of tagging along, but is looking for this specific Evil guy and is not as interested in looting as our group. He can probably help (let's say he is lvl 14 Arcane Trickster for the sake of debate.)

So. Me and the Wizard are figuring out what to do. We may get more info from the DM next session, but adittional ideas never hurt.

Thanks

Those additional details are actually fairly important, as is your goal. Do you want to just get your team-mates back, or do you also need to beat those guys you where fighting and complete that dungeon?
If its just a rescue mission, then you should gear up for stealth and maneuverability, with spells like invisibility and fly. You'll also need greater restoration to cure those that have been petrified.
If you want to finish the job then you need to compensate for what took you down the first time. In this case, make sure you've got something to show the basilisks their reflections, and pack some counterspells and whatever to lock down the casters.

One thing that's also pretty important is knowing your GM's play-style and whether the events of that fight where what he expected. If he'd beefed up the fight with the intention of making it a challenge, but not almost a TPK, he might make retrieving your friends easier than if he's of the opinion that that was just how the dice fell. If he told the other 3 players to make new characters already, your characters are probably in for a bad time.

Kaptin Keen
2018-10-05, 05:57 AM
If you're in a position of relative safety, you:

1. Teleport out to somewhere you can buy a stone-to-flesh potion
2. Teleport back
3. Revive cleric
4. Clerics revives others

If you're not in a position of relative safety, you:
1. Get to a position of relative safety, then as above.

If you didn't learn teleport on level 5, you ... really only have yourselves to thank, and gods have mercy on your souls.

DeTess
2018-10-05, 06:33 AM
If you didn't learn teleport on level 5, you ... really only have yourselves to thank, and gods have mercy on your souls.

Unlike 3.5, where teleport is a 5th level spell (which a wizard of level 9 can learn), in 5e the spell is 7th level, so the wizard can't know it yet.

Kaptin Keen
2018-10-05, 06:40 AM
Unlike 3.5, where teleport is a 5th level spell (which a wizard of level 9 can learn), in 5e the spell is 7th level, so the wizard can't know it yet.

Everything I said still applies. If you're electing to play a version where teleport isn't available until level 13, the blame is on you - not me.

DeTess
2018-10-05, 06:41 AM
Everything I said still applies. If you're electing to play a version where teleport isn't available until level 13, the blame is on you - not me.

I think if your advice is for the wrong edition, at least some of the blame is on you, not him. After all, 'its your fault for not playing a different game' doesn't exactly solve the issue he is asking advice for, and is not particularly fair.

Aneurin
2018-10-05, 07:01 AM
If you just want to get the other characters back, then perhaps try getting Strong NPC and Weak NPC to stage a distraction in another part of the ruined city to draw off the snake-people. Arcane Trickster sounds fairly illusion-y to me, so it should be fairly easy. Since it doesn't offer much direct threat to them, the NPCs shouldn't have too much to object to.

While the reptile-people are all busy chasing phantoms, going back in to rescue your friends with as much summoned help as you can scrounge up should be significantly less risky.

If that doesn't sound survivable, then your best bet is heading back to civilization and rounding up some real help unfortunately.

Pinjata
2018-10-05, 07:11 AM
I was thinking of setting fire in dungeon. Smoking lizardfolk out and just dragging our petrified collegues out. Any ideas along this lane? Basically, how to set up large enough fire in a dungeon. We don't have Create Massive Bonfire spells yet :D

weckar
2018-10-05, 08:26 AM
It may be a bit of a stretch depending on how your DM likes to play things, but do your casters have a way to create blizzards or such? All your foes are reptiles after all.

Pinjata
2018-10-05, 08:44 AM
It may be a bit of a stretch depending on how your DM likes to play things, but do your casters have a way to create blizzards or such? All your foes are reptiles after all.

Well, no. Wizard is Diviner and Warlock is darkness/Eldritch Blast/Fireball caster.

Even if that had been possible, Blizzard spell in a dungeon sounds ... underwhelming. http://dnd5e.wikia.com/wiki/Ice_Storm

DeTess
2018-10-05, 09:10 AM
I was thinking of setting fire in dungeon. Smoking lizardfolk out and just dragging our petrified collegues out. Any ideas along this lane? Basically, how to set up large enough fire in a dungeon. We don't have Create Massive Bonfire spells yet :D

What does the dungeon look like? If it's tunnels with only a few exits (counting chimneys and other small openings to let smoke out) it's very doable, though it might take a bit.

PastorofMuppets
2018-10-05, 10:22 AM
If there aren’t many entrances to the dungeon you could attempt a siege type standoff, seal some entrances and guard the other(s) to starve them out if that’s an option. My only concern is that at the levels you are discussing they may have some renewable spell sources of food and water but if they have to resort to that you can at least know some spell slots on their casters are being used up on that when you make any further attempts to break in

Pinjata
2018-10-05, 10:52 AM
Well, they could probably swarm as things are. Perhaps assassinations of single lizardfolk members with "return our buddies or else" notes are a way to go.

DeTess
2018-10-05, 10:59 AM
Well, they could probably swarm as things are. Perhaps assassinations of single lizardfolk members with "return our buddies or else" notes are a way to go.

If they're smart that'll just indicate to them that they have hostages of some value.

weckar
2018-10-05, 11:37 AM
If they're smart that'll just indicate to them that they have hostages of some value.

All that assuming they are kept alive at all. And not already dead.

DeTess
2018-10-05, 11:39 AM
All that assuming they are kept alive at all. And not already dead.

I don't know about the barbarian, but the guys that got turned into statues are probably still fine.

Kaptin Keen
2018-10-05, 02:03 PM
I think if your advice is for the wrong edition, at least some of the blame is on you, not him. After all, 'its your fault for not playing a different game' doesn't exactly solve the issue he is asking advice for, and is not particularly fair.

Well - I think you'll find that my advice is for the right edition, and he's playing the wrong one.

At this point, I also feel you might be misinterpreting me as being somehow serious, which is quite unintended, I promise.

DeTess
2018-10-05, 02:56 PM
Well - I think you'll find that my advice is for the right edition, and he's playing the wrong one.

At this point, I also feel you might be misinterpreting me as being somehow serious, which is quite unintended, I promise.

I was misinterpreting you as serious(I've encountered people who'd say that kind of stuff and mean it on the internet), as tone is really hard to convey in text without using a big flashing 'Sarcasm' sign. Thanks for the clarification though, I might have unnecessarily overreacted otherwise :smallbiggrin:

Kaptin Keen
2018-10-05, 03:58 PM
I was misinterpreting you as serious(I've encountered people who'd say that kind of stuff and mean it on the internet), as tone is really hard to convey in text without using a big flashing 'Sarcasm' sign. Thanks for the clarification though, I might have unnecessarily overreacted otherwise :smallbiggrin:

Yea, text is a somewhat dangerous medium. The internet is largely the whole human race conversing in the language of nitro-glycerin. So I figured it might be prudent to point out I'm just fooling around trying to be funny.

redwizard007
2018-10-09, 08:34 PM
Yea, text is a somewhat dangerous medium. The internet is largely the whole human race conversing in the language of nitro-glycerin. So I figured it might be prudent to point out I'm just fooling around trying to be funny.

It made my night.

denthor
2018-10-10, 01:18 PM
1.) OK you think PC are never beaten. Tactics dictate acceptable losses. Assume the Barbarian will be eaten in two days or less unless you took him with you. Maybe you have a dark DM that has an unholy day coming up so he gets more.

9th level do you have break enchantment? If so in pathfinder, do not know about 5E you can use that to turn stone to flesh. On statue per level if 30 feet apart. Take a look. Just went through this in my game. I was the wizard.

ATHATH
2018-10-11, 06:43 PM
1.) OK you think PC are never beaten. Tactics dictate acceptable losses. Assume the Barbarian will be eaten in two days or less unless you took him with you. Maybe you have a dark DM that has an unholy day coming up so he gets more.

9th level do you have break enchantment? If so in pathfinder, do not know about 5E you can use that to turn stone to flesh. On statue per level if 30 feet apart. Take a look. Just went through this in my game. I was the wizard.
Break Enchantment doesn't exist in 5e.

What items and wealth do you have with you? How far/close are you to civilization?

Consider hiring some mercenaries (extraplanar ones would be cool, and the Warlock (or their Patron) might know how to contact some) to help you get your friends back. You'll probably have to give up one or more magic items, but the well-beings of your party members are probably more important than some magical trinkets or gold. On the bright side (and why I recommend this plan/method over (the) others), your dead/stoned party members will have something to do (play as the mercenaries, who might have cool abilities (especially if they're extraplanar mercenaries)) while you're rescuing their characters (and the DM won't have to switch back and forth between your perspectives).

J-H
2018-10-13, 06:31 PM
Approach holding a white flag on your 10' pole. Wait until their leader comes out to negotiate.

"Hi, sorry we violated your barbaric religious customs. We'd like to leave your people alone, but one of our teammates that you petrified is actually the third in line for the throne of (regional power country). If we don't get him and his friends back, we're going to have every bounty hunter on the continent after us when (regional power) finds out that we lost him. They'll probably send a small army to get him back. We all want to stay alive, so can we work something out? Maybe we go kill some monster that's bothering you, or promise to pay you a ransom in gold later?"