PDA

View Full Version : Druid Build

VolcanicErupt
2018-10-05, 05:55 AM
I am building a melee tank druid character and was looking for possible ways to do it. Already have Nature's Warrior. My race is Lizardfolk and have 14 levels to go after that +1 LA. Is there a summoner build I could make to have summons fight alongside me rather than the sorcerer/wizard using them as more of a shield? Or perhaps some good alternative feature for that sort of fighting? A PrC, maybe?

Bronk
2018-10-05, 07:52 AM
I am building a melee tank druid OC and was looking for possible ways to do it. Already have Nature's Warrior. My race is Lizardfolk and have 14 levels to go after that +1 LA. Is there a summoner build I could make to have summons fight alongside me rather than the sorcerer/wizard using them as more of a shield?

I'd think you'd want to choose a race with a constitution bonus, to max your HP, or a wisdom bonus, and no racial hit dice or LA. Strength and Dex get overwritten by Wild Shape, so those won't matter as much. So, instead of a lizardfolk, maybe (looks at some lists):

a lesser ooze para-genasi for +4 con, -2 cha?

a lesser ice para-genasi for +4 con, +2 wis, -2 cha, -2 dex?

a lesser Maeluth for +4 con, -2 dex?

Out of those, the lesser ice para-genasi would probably be the best, then just spend most of your time in wild shape form. Be sure to get the Natural Spell feat (to be able to cast while wild shaped), try to get a pearl of speech (to be able to speak while wild shaped), a wild shape amulet (to increase your effective level for wild shape), and eventually the level 8 'Megalodon Empowerment' spell to increase your size range.

Then, take the Natural Bond feat to increase your effective druid level for your Animal Companion, take the Wild Cohort feat to get a second enhanced animal, and just cast 'Summon Nature's Ally' when you need to. The more animals you bring into combat, however, the more the game gets bogged down.

VolcanicErupt
2018-10-05, 08:02 AM
What are the sources for these races?

VolcanicErupt
2018-10-05, 08:04 AM
Also, would Getty Permanency for Magic Fang 3 times be an okay thing? Will it work for my Wild Shapes?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-10-05, 09:01 AM
You're better off going Druid 20 for your build, Nature's Warrior just delays your spellcasting. Get an Amulet of Mighty Fists (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofMightyFists) with a Wilding Clasp from Magic Item Compendium, or get a Permanency: Greater Magic Fang (+1 to all natural weapons), either if which will continue to benefit whatever form you take.

Go with a race that doesn't have a level adjustment. Your physical stats besides Con won't matter due to Wild Shape, same with any natural armor or natural attacks you'd get from your race. The only mental stat you really need is Wis and maybe a positive Int bonus for skill points.

The Arctic template/race variant in Dragon 306 p61-62 has no level adjustment and grants +2 Con, -2 Cha, +2 survival, and some other minor benefits. If you want to max out your Con bonus, this is definitely something to consider for whatever race you choose.

Dragonborn of Bahamut in Races of the Dragon is a template with no level adjustment that grants -2 Dex, +2 Con, and replaces your existing racial traits with new ones. Don't pick the wings or breath attack aspect, as you'll lose those when wild shaped.

A Mongrelfolk in Races of Destiny gets +4 Con, -2 Int, -4 Cha, and a long list of minor bonuses. An Arctic Mongrelfolk would get +6 Con, -2 Int, -6 Cha instead. A Dragonborn Arctic Mongrelfolk gets -2 Dex, +8 Con, -2 Int, -6 Cha.

Take Natural Bond and get a "Level -3" animal companion such as a Fleshraker dinosaur (MM3) or a Dire Eagle (RoS), and you'll still count your full Druid level toward its benefits. Take Natural Spell and spend most of your time in a tanky/aggressive wild shape form.

For summoning, get a Ring of the Beast (CC) along with the feats Ashbound (ECS), Augment Summoning (PHB), and most importantly Greenbound Summoning (LEoF). Your character can be good at all the things all at the same time by just sticking to Druid for your entire career.

Eldariel
2018-10-05, 09:13 AM
You're better off going Druid 20 for your build, Nature's Warrior just delays your spellcasting. Get an Amulet of Mighty Fists (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofMightyFists) with a Wilding Clasp from Magic Item Compendium, or get a Permanency: Greater Magic Fang (+1 to all natural weapons), either if which will continue to benefit whatever form you take.

GMF seems much better on a Druid that can cast it themself. Just cast the general Greater Magic Fang, and Wildshape and then cast the specific Greater Magic Fangs for the day. Greater Magic Fang lasts hours/level, so there's no reason to really Permanency it as it's all day anyways. Then if you shift again you'll still have the general bonuses. Unless you fear you'll run out of 3rd level slots but that shouldn't be that big of a deal and Pearls of Power solve that handily if it does occur.

liquidformat
2018-10-05, 09:19 AM
Ya I have never heard of those races, so they are probably dragon mag or some other third party stuff. But I do agree lizardfolk are bad, you are literally getting nothing for those two rhd and then have 1 la to add insult to injury. Both lizardfolk variants from MMIII are better but they are still not a great choice for a druid.

If you want core go with forest gnome, it has +2 con, pass without a trace is redundant but can naturally speak with any animal. They definitely give good flavor points. Human is never a bad choice either. If you really want something off the wall I would suggest an anthropomorphic animal from savage species, go with any of the single rhd ones (one rhd auto-changes into a class level) the best is hands down the bat with a +6 wis in exchange for -4 str and -2 cha.

I would also avoid Nature's warrior your loosing caster levels which isn't a good idea being a summoner after all, your loosing levels for your animal companion, you have to take track (leave tracking to an animal companion), and the added wild shape abilities aren't particularly good. Straight druid is often your best choice, Hathran is a cool option if you want to be female, Planar shepherd is super powerful and moonspeaker is very powerful.

Besides nature spell augment summoning should be one of your first feats, and ashbound (ECS) is great. You will probably want to pickup Greenbound Summoning (LEoF) or Rashemi Elemental Summoning (UE) they are very powerful summoning feats and Spontaneous Summoner (CD) isn't a bad idea either. Initiate of Nature (PGtF) will give you the ability to rebuke/command animals and plants so you can have an army following you around. Wild Cohort is a good choice to get a second animal companion, as far as Natural Bond it is a mixed bag. If you are going into Nature's warrior or other prcs where you are loosing animal companion levels then it is questionably ok but starting at level 14 I would say there are better things to use your feats on than wild cohort or natural bond.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-10-06, 04:36 PM
I mean if you want to go Lizardfolk and not feel like you've wasted their good natural armor, then look at the Shapeshift Druid ACF from PHBII. Gives you Str/Nat. Armor boosts instead of fixed stats, plus some other interesting things depending on the form. The one big drawback is you can't take Natural Spell, but if you're willing to make that trade, then it makes being Lizardfolk more worthwhile.

VolcanicErupt
2018-10-07, 12:49 PM
Okay, I tried this out, but it doesn't really mix well with a Druid flavorfully. Also, the god I decided on, which I now realize I didn't mention, is Obad-Hai, because I'm kinda looking at his extremely sexy Armor of the Fallen Leaves. So the dragon bit doesn't really help and it gets in the way of the divine aspect. Any other ideas?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-10-07, 02:30 PM
Okay, I tried this out, but it doesn't really mix well with a Druid flavorfully. Also, the god I decided on, which I now realize I didn't mention, is Obad-Hai, because I'm kinda looking at his extremely sexy Armor of the Fallen Leaves. So the dragon bit doesn't really help and it gets in the way of the divine aspect. Any other ideas?

In that case just drop Dragonborn, and apply the Arctic template to whatever race you think would be fitting that doesn't have a level adjustment or racial HD. You'll want as many levels of Druid as possible, as early as possible, and both racial HD and a level adjustment will only weaken your character. For example, an Arctic Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater) would have -2 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, -2 Cha. Your size and strength won't matter once you can wild shape.