PDA

View Full Version : What's Fharlanghn View On Competition?

Bartmanhomer
2018-10-05, 02:54 PM
Hey everybody. I have a question to ask. What's Fharlanghn (The deity of travel) view on Competition? You know all type of fighting in a competitive way.

Seto
2018-10-05, 03:05 PM
I don't know... My guess is that he's not a particularly competitive deity. His teachings emphasize travel and new experiences. It's likely that he would instruct his followers to focus on their own journeys through life, to experience the scenery and the new locales for themselves, rather than looking beyond their own path and comparing themselves to others. After all, each travel is unique and you never bathe twice in the same river yourself - so what meaning could it have to try to outdo others? However, as Pokemon games will teach you, having a good, healthy rivalry can do wonders to push you further. So who knows.

That being said, your guess is as good as mine. I don't think there's really any book that documents that. Props for spelling Fharlanghn correctly, though.

tyckspoon
2018-10-05, 03:07 PM
Hey everybody. I have a question to ask. What's Fharlanghn (The deity of travel) view on Competition? You know all type of fighting in a competitive way.

That's Kord's domain, typically. I don't think Fharlanghn would have a significant opinion about it, aside from probably generically disliking full on blood-sports as an unnecessary loss of life. Otherwise activities like wrestling or non-lethal combat practice aren't part of his domain and don't really impinge on it, so you wouldn't expect him to especially care.

Thurbane
2018-10-05, 07:58 PM
The Living Greyhawk deity list says this (not much mention of competitions):

Description: Fharlanghn (far-LAHNG-un) is shown as a seemingly old man with leathery, wrinkled skin and young seeming bright green eyes. Brother of the Oeridian god Celesta he is on amiable terms with non-evil earth gods and several nature gods, and is sometimes tied to Atroa. His symbol is a wooden disc carved with the curved line of the horizon, and he carries a magical version of this symbol called the Oerth Disc. He is the patron of those who walk or ride long distances including travelers in tunnels, and as such is praised by those who must use mountain passes or travel the Underdark. “People need to move about and see new things. Be open to travel, as the world mar change overnight and you may be in need of a new home or perspective. Look to the horizon for inspiration - the far end of the world has new peoples, new cultures, new magic, and new roads to walk”. The church is comprised of wandering clerics (who favor green and minister to those on the roads; and settled clerics who favor brown and are usually older clerics whose wandering days are behind them). Clerics of Fharlanghn are encouraged to travel the world and see new things. They bless caravans, explore exotic lands, scout for armies, and record lore on distant places and people. Because they learn many languages and cultures, they act as translators and diplomats. Many aid in constructing of roadways and bridges, and a pair of shoes made by one of his clerics is held to Last longer than any other. "The road is the best teacher," say the worshipers of Fharlanghn . A higher-level cleric takes a half dozen or so recruits on a long journey, where they’ll help fellow travelers, see the wider world, and take part in any number of misadventures. The only way to flunk out of Fharlanghn's training is to ask when the journey will be over - those faithful to Fharlanghn know that the journey never ends. Any quest involving long journeys can involve Fharlanghn as well. His followers often guard caravans, explore mysterious islands, and maintain a series of portals between worlds. Fharlanghn teaches though short anecdotes, many of which feature a wise old man traveling with a foolish young man. There are more than a hundred stories that involve the two of them crossing a river, for example. Fharlanghn doesn't have many large temples, but wayside shrines to him are common. At major crossroads and port cities, shrines to Fharlanghn provide fast horses and sturdy sailing ships. Because his followers are often on the move. Fhatlanghn’s rites are often short and to the point. Many Fharlanghn worshipers rely on the ceremonies of allied deities for such things as marriages and funerals.