PDA

View Full Version : Inverse Illusions

Grear Bylls
2018-10-05, 03:16 PM
Hey all!

Something's been nagging at my brain sense the illusion invisibility threads a while back (where the questions was can one make a creature invisible or make holo spaces like hallways with illusion spell). I've been thinking: Silent image is a 15 foot cube, large enough to surround a medium of large creature. What if, instead of making an illusion from the outside, it was from the inside?

Think of it like this: Your typical illusion is like a cube with paintings on all sides. This use would be a room completely covered in paintings.

Edit: An interesting point was brought up. Instead of like a painting, where your perception of the image may make it look distorted, think of it like a statue.

How would you think this works?

Segev
2018-10-05, 03:20 PM
Hey all!

Something's been nagging at my brain sense the illusion invisibility threads a while back (where the questions was can one make a creature invisible or make holo spaces like hallways with illusion spell). I've been thinking: Silent image is a 15 foot cube, large enough to surround a medium of large creature. What if, instead of making an illusion from the outside, it was from the inside?

Think of it like this: Your typical illusion is like a cube with paintings on all sides. This use would be a room completely covered in paintings.

Technically doable with silent image as-is, in the sense that you could put 2D paintings on the sides of an inward-facing cube, but these spells don't actually put cubes with paintings up as a default. They CAN, but they don't usually, because they create fully 3D images within their space that actually look "right" as you move around them, rather than looking like, well, a painting on a wall.

Spectrulus
2018-10-06, 10:47 AM
You could make an illusion that looks like a ball of roots, a cave-in (sound may need to be added to be convincing), pure darkness could work, as with all illusion spells the right imagination and DM make the difference.

Ganymede
2018-10-06, 12:35 PM
You can make two-dimensional images with the spell but, outside of unique circumstances, they will look like two-dimensional images to an onlooker.

For example, if you Wile E. Coyote a two-dimensional image of a dark archway onto a wall, it'll look exactly like that: like a two-dimensional image of a dark archway. Outside of some unusual circumstances, no one is going to mistake it for an actual path.

MaxWilson
2018-10-06, 04:55 PM
Hey all!

Edit: An interesting point was brought up. Instead of like a painting, where your perception of the image may make it look distorted, think of it like a statue.

I've seen enough weird optical illusions to think that this might be possible to do, from certain angles, with physical equipment OR illusions, but for the life of me I can't think of what such a piece of equipment would look like except that I think you'd wind up putting the things that are supposed to be "close" far away and vice versa. I'd have to do some Googling to get more specific.

Or, if it were a player-driven illusion, they'd have to do the Googling. I'd only do my own Googling if it were for an NPC-constructed dungeon.