PDA

View Full Version : Dueling Combat Style

Kharneth
2018-10-05, 03:46 PM
Is there any merit to the Dueling combat style? Who uses it, if anyone?

I'm thinking about using it with a Longsword because d8+2 > d10 (two handing) and it would, in effect, be the same as two handing the longsword in that I'd be forgoing a shield or other weapon.

I know it's not optimal as I could just use a more powerful two handed weapon, but are there any cases where using the Dueling combat style is optimal and not just a stylistic choice? The only people I could see actually wanting this would be classes that don't have access to combat styles.

Tesla Dragon
2018-10-05, 03:50 PM
Along with offering the versatility of a free hand to grapple, manipulate items and whatever else you may require a free hand for, the dueling combat style allows you to use a shield, arcane focus or other non-weapon object in your off-hand and still gain the benefits of the style.

In general, it's the more offensively focused Sword-and-Board style, as opposed to the defensive/support focused Protection style.

Aett_Thorn
2018-10-05, 03:51 PM
Using it as a sword+board character can help up your damage potential. It’s really not a bad choice.

clash
2018-10-05, 03:55 PM
because d8+2 > d10

Small correction d8 + 2 ~ 6.5 which is the rough equivalent of a d12

Otherwise the other responses summed it up nicely. Damage of a two-handed weapon but versatility of a one-handed weapon and/or defense of a shield.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-05, 04:00 PM
Using it as a sword+board character can help up your damage potential. It’s really not a bad choice.

This is the proper response. You use it when you need to be a tank but you need to manage damage as well.

A good example of who benefits off this is the Horizon Walker. You deal a ton of damage regardless of your weapon, but doing so requires your bonus action so Two-Weapon is out. You could go Great Weapon, but Rangers don't have that option, and it'd only improve your damage from 1d8+1d8+Mod (avg 13) to 2d6+1d8+Mod (avg 15.5) and you'd lose out on 2 AC from your shield.

You should always have something in your off-hand, whether that's another weapon, the same weapon (because it's big), or a shield, and I think you might be missing out on the "shield" aspect.

Without this fighting style, there are no other styles for a Ranger that's using a shield other than Defensive (+1 AC), and no fighting styles for any sword+shield user to increase their damage.

No brains
2018-10-05, 04:12 PM
You can also use dueling with a one-handed quarter staff and get a ~d10 hit with a ~d8 bonus action hit along with a ~d10 reaction when someone enters your reach, all while wearing a shield. It doesn't do as much damage as 'improvised bow club' or thrown books, but it makes you a contender.

Kharneth
2018-10-05, 04:15 PM
It did not occur to me that you could use Dueling while carrying a shield. That makes sense, than.

I interpreted both the RAW and RAI as a one handed weapon with an empty hand or non-weapon (like a wand or spell components) but didn't realize shields were still not considered weapons.

That's actually a decent option, much more fun for a defensive build, but certainly not an alternative option for an offensive build (I guess unless you wanted to be a grapple-heavy fighter).

JakOfAllTirades
2018-10-05, 09:42 PM
It's the best damage bonus offered by any of the fighting styles, and it's the most versatile, as others have noted.

Kharneth
2018-10-05, 11:11 PM
It's the best damage bonus offered by any of the fighting styles, and it's the most versatile, as others have noted.

I don't know about that, rerolling 1s and 2s on 2d6 with a greatsword or maul is pretty useful.

LudicSavant
2018-10-05, 11:52 PM
It did not occur to me that you could use Dueling while carrying a shield. That makes sense, than.

Not only can it be used with a shield, it can also be used with thrown weapons (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/03/does-the-dueling-style-apply-to-a-thrown-melee-weapon/).

Composer99
2018-10-06, 12:06 AM
I don't know about that, rerolling 1s and 2s on 2d6 with a greatsword or maul is pretty useful.

Your average base weapon damage with a 2d6 weapon when using the great-weapon fighting style goes from 7 to 8 1/3, which is a smaller increase than the +2 damage from the dueling fighting style. For instance, a 1d8 weapon's base damage goes from 4.5 to 6.5, becoming equivalent to a 1d12 in terms of average damage, but with a higher floor.

If your goal is straight-up damage in melee, you'd stick with a greatsword or maul simply because 8 1/3 damage is just plain higher than 6.5, and because Great Weapon Master when playing with feats. What dueling fighting style offers is versatility, because you can get greataxe levels of base weapon damage while also getting to grapple, or wield a shield, or hold a spellcasting focus.

Tanarii
2018-10-06, 09:19 AM
What dueling fighting style offers is versatility, because you can get greataxe levels of base weapon damage while also getting to grapple, or wield a shield, or hold a spellcasting focus.
Nitpick, you don't need to hold a spellcasting focus. You just need to keep your hand free, and access it with that hand during casting. So (for example) you can keep it holstered on your belt.

Also there's no penalty for just taking your hand off a two handed weapon.

Neither of these require an object interactions, so a greatsword or maul user has no issues with a free hand for casting or throwing a Thrown weapon. They can also grapple, but they do have an issue on that front if they want to keep attacking.

That makes Great Weapon Fighting the better style for EKs, if they are S&B they will be sheathing their weapon a lot. They just let go of their big-ol' weapon with one hand whenever they need to cast a spell, including ones with M components replaced by a component pouch, and then grip it two handed again immediately after.

Although if they're using a lot of War Magic cantrips they're still probably better off with Defense, since they're not attacking with their weapon very often.

R.Shackleford
2018-10-06, 10:08 AM
Nitpick, you don't need to hold a spellcasting focus. You just need to keep your hand free, and access it with that hand during casting. So (for example) you can keep it holstered on your belt.

Also there's no penalty for just taking your hand off a two handed weapon.

Neither of these require an object interactions, so a greatsword or maul user has no issues with a free hand for casting or throwing a Thrown weapon. They can also grapple, but they do have an issue on that front if they want to keep attacking.

That makes Great Weapon Fighting the better style for EKs, if they are S&B they will be sheathing their weapon a lot. They just let go of their big-ol' weapon with one hand whenever they need to cast a spell, including ones with M components replaced by a component pouch, and then grip it two handed again immediately after.

Although if they're using a lot of War Magic cantrips they're still probably better off with Defense, since they're not attacking with their weapon very often.

One of my favorites is Tavern Brawler and get a reinforced arcane focus to use with dueling style.

Beat creatures with your arcane focus.

My groups are pretty lenient with what can be conaidered an arcane focus... One dude had a thesaurus be his arcane focus.

Foxhound438
2018-10-06, 02:29 PM
be a high level paladin
get angry at someone where you aren't allowed real weapons
take off your shoe
crit them with a loafer for 10d8+10d10+7