PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warforged Barbarian AC (NOT about stacking Con)

Dualswinger
2018-10-05, 04:06 PM
So an interesting thing just popped up for me. Jeremy Crawford put out this tweet:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1021875806291652609

Since the Heavy Plating doesn't count as heavy armor by his definition, should DMs allow a Warforged Barbarian to use that setting for their armor calculation?

Seems funny to me that a Warforged Barb could achieve 22AC (the same as having maxed Dex and Con as a naked level 20 barbarian) at only level 17 (possibly more with AC shenanigans from other classes)

Unoriginal
2018-10-05, 04:13 PM
A Fighter can have 21 AC at lvl 5. I don't see anything funny about AC 22 at lvl 17.

Keep in mind that the AC calculation is always either/or. The Warforged has to give up things to get that AC.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-05, 04:14 PM
The table for Integrated Protection lists the tiers as follows:

Darkwood Core (Unarmored)
Composite Playing (Armor)
Heavy Plating (Armor)

JC's tweet is explaining the rule, reading the table for Integrated Protection gives us the answer. The latter 2 tiers count as being armored.

EDIT: Barbarian's are also not proficient in heavy armor by default, which is a prerequisite for using Heavy Plating. Needing to be proficient in Heavy Armor to use this setting implies that it is a tier of Heavy Armor.

Dualswinger
2018-10-05, 04:57 PM
A Fighter can have 21 AC at lvl 5. I don't see anything funny about AC 22 at lvl 17.

Keep in mind that the AC calculation is always either/or. The Warforged has to give up things to get that AC.

This is true, though a lvl 20 barb will have 24 AC with a shield, which is just one below a Tarrasque.

The table for Integrated Protection lists the tiers as follows:

Darkwood Core (Unarmored)
Composite Playing (Armor)
Heavy Plating (Armor)

JC's tweet is explaining the rule, reading the table for Integrated Protection gives us the answer. The latter 2 tiers count as being armored.

EDIT: Barbarian's are also not proficient in heavy armor by default, which is a prerequisite for using Heavy Plating. Needing to be proficient in Heavy Armor to use this setting implies that it is a tier of Heavy Armor.

You can pick up a feat to become proficient, not the worst investment. I'm a little confused by your reply though. Would you rule it as "You're using something that requires Heavy Armor training, ergo you cannot use Rage since you're in heavy armor." ?

ProsecutorGodot
2018-10-05, 05:19 PM
You can pick up a feat to become proficient, not the worst investment. I'm a little confused by your reply though. Would you rule it as "You're using something that requires Heavy Armor training, ergo you cannot use Rage since you're in heavy armor." ?
I can see it being argued either way, however if it was up to me to make the decision I would consider it to be Heavy Armor.

The requirement for the associated Armor Proficiency and the fact that it is considered being Armored leads me to believe that it would fall under the Heavy Armor category. Armor is separated into 3 categories, being Armored would put you into one of those 3 categories.

Again, I could see it being argued either way though, since even with that in mind it's never stated specifically that Heavy Plating falls under Heavy Armor, even if it shares just about every trait.

This is true, though a lvl 20 barb will have 24 AC with a shield, which is just one below a Tarrasque.
And an Eldritch Knight would have the option to boost their AC as high as 26 by level 5, 1 higher than a Tarrasque. I'm of the belief that high AC on a barbarian shouldn't be a priority and at times could even be considered a detriment beyond a certain point.