View Full Version : Timestop Questions: do I get to finish the turn I'm on if the spell ends prematurely?

Damon_Tor
2018-10-05, 06:07 PM
So let's say I roll 3 extra turns for Timestop. Using my action I attack a guy and deal him some damage. If I have movement remaining, do I get to use it? If I have other actions available (action surge, haste, various bonus actions) can I take them? Or does my turn immediately end and soon as the damage is dealt?

Second Question: if I'm riding a mount summoned with Find Greater Steed, can I have Timestop effect the Steed as well, letting me ride on it during my extra turns?

Third Question: If a creature was "surprised" when I cast timestop on my first turn of combat, does it remain surprised for each of my extra turns?

Fourth question: does a "round" elapse between each of my extra turns?

Hadoken
2018-10-05, 09:03 PM
You briefly stop the flow of time for everyone but yourself. No time passes for other creatures, while you take 1d4 + 1 turns in a row, during which you can use actions and move as normal.

This spell ends if one of the actions you use during this period, or any effects that you create during this period, affects a creature other than you or an object being worn or carried by someone other than you. In addition, the spell ends if you move to a place more than 1,000 feet from the location where you cast it.

Emphasis added. To answer your first question, reading the spell carefully I would say that ending the effect early means your turn ends and combat moves on to the next creature in initiative. You lose any unspent movement or bonus actions.

As to your second question, your steed could not act/move during time stop because it is not you. The spell is clear that the caster is the only one unaffected. Causing it to move or effecting it would end the spell.

For your third question, a creature that has been surprised is considered surprised until it takes its first turn in combat. The time stop spell does not let other creatures take turns, so they would remain surprised throughout the duration.

Finally, rounds do not pass while time is stopped.

A round represents about 6 seconds in the game world. During a round, each participant in a battle takes a turn.

Rounds only accrue when every creature has had a turn. Since the spell does not say other creatures get a turn, no rounds pass while time stop is active.

Galithar
2018-10-05, 09:09 PM
"While mounted on it, you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target the mount. "

Yes, so long as you're mounted when you cast Time Stop it will be available to you during the spells duration as you can choose for the spell to Target the steed as well.