PDA

View Full Version : Aquaman - extended trailer

Olinser
2018-10-05, 07:52 PM
So DC has dropped the extended Aquaman trailer 5 minutes long, below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWnLiffxJ4

I must say I was kind of on the fence about this before but this trailer has moved me into the 'will definitely see in theatre' camp.

Some of it looks pretty generic Superhero Origin story, what kind of looks like a bit of a generic 'evil king of non-humans wants to wage war on humans' plot, but nothing bad, just generic.

And Black Manta looks AWESOME.

Palanan
2018-10-05, 09:02 PM
Eh. I can definitely wait to rent this one.

Apart from the generic elements mentioned above, we also have a sort of underwater Asgard, plus evil Legolas clone and the obligatory snarky moments. And some redhead with no respect for archaeological treasures.

I almost laughed when I saw Black Manta, if that’s who that was. Looks like a refugee from Dr. Who.

Although I have to say that “sharks with lasers on their heads” was a running joke in my first 3.5 gaming group. This apparently offers actual sharks with lasers on their heads, which is certainly good for a laugh…but not enough reason to see this in the theater. After so many superhero movies, this just feels like more of the same.

Zevox
2018-10-05, 09:18 PM
And some redhead with no respect for archaeological treasures.
That would be Mera, Aquaman's wife and a rather badass superheroine in her own right in the comics (she's basically a waterbender straight out of Avatar). And about the only thing giving me even the slightest interest in this movie, honestly, but the trailer still doesn't make it clear whether she's going to be anything more than "the love interest" and a source of plot exposition, so interest still pretty low. Particularly given that whole chase scene across the rooftops was not looking particularly exciting as action scenes go.

Yeah, so far, nothing that would make me decide to bother seeing this given the track record DC has.

Olinser
2018-10-05, 10:34 PM
That would be Mera, Aquaman's wife and a rather badass superheroine in her own right in the comics (she's basically a waterbender straight out of Avatar). And about the only thing giving me even the slightest interest in this movie, honestly, but the trailer still doesn't make it clear whether she's going to be anything more than "the love interest" and a source of plot exposition, so interest still pretty low. Particularly given that whole chase scene across the rooftops was not looking particularly exciting as action scenes go.

Yeah, so far, nothing that would make me decide to bother seeing this given the track record DC has.

The backstory information (that I don't believe is in the trailer) about Mera in the movie is that apparently she was the protege of Aquaman's mother when she left him and went back to Atlantis. They may do something like the Queen wanted to pass it on to Mera but she wasn't of royal blood so after her death the Obviously Evil half-brother took the throne, and her only option was to go find Aquaman.

zimmerwald1915
2018-10-05, 10:43 PM
From the opening Man-of-Steel-esque dialogue about Arthur being a "bridge between two worlds" (repeated a second time and by a Hologram Dad no less), to the Sonic-esque extended chase scene with the obnoxious lack of sound effects other than pew-pew-pew, to Jason Momoa playing Yet Another Jason Momoa Character, this trailer has struck me as wholly uninspired. I wish those who see the film in theaters a fun viewing experience, but I will not be joining you.

Aotrs Commander
2018-10-06, 05:56 AM
Actually... It DID make me laugh a couple of times (when it was even supposed to), and it's, y'know, colourful and in daylight.. And Black Manta does actually look pretty Black Manta-like so... It actually has my attention for the first time since I heard about it. (Some reviews pending.) I would make only the second DC movie I will have seen (WW being the first). (We nearly went to see JL, but simply didn't get around to it while it was on.)

I mean, I'd prefer him shouting "outrageous!" a lot, but this might not be too bad.

And it's not like my standards for "okay" including Green Lantern and Superman Returns (and that first set of FF4 movies), so... So long as it's not too pretentious and overly serious, it doesn't take much to keep me entertained...

Palanan
2018-10-06, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander
So long as it's not too pretentious and overly serious....

In fact, I was thinking that it was trying so hard to be epic that it came across as pretentious.

Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915
...to Jason Momoa playing Yet Another Jason Momoa Character....

I only know him as Khal Drogo, but this honestly looked like Khal Drogo, Surfer Dude.

Originally Posted by Zevox
That would be Mera, Aquaman's wife and a rather badass superheroine in her own right in the comics (she's basically a waterbender straight out of Avatar). And about the only thing giving me even the slightest interest in this movie, honestly....

She was certainly the only intriguing element, mainly because of the unexpected TK with the sweat droplets. But then Aqua Bro had to ruin the moment with a crude comment. Doesn't really bode well for character development.

Aotrs Commander
2018-10-06, 10:33 AM
In fact, I was thinking that it was trying so hard to be epic that it came across as pretentious.

Little bit, yes; but I wasn't that sold on Wonder Woman from the trailer and that turned out alright. (Consderably better than alright, in my opinion, actually.) Aquaman at least doesn't look as pretentious and self-important and humourless like Man of Steel/Bats vrs Supes (which I took one look at went "that looks fracking awful" and did not go to see them). So it gets a chance, unlike the aforementioned (though again, it'll be a week or two after release and after seeing a general sort of opinion).

I mean, if something makes me laugh, I am prepared far more to let other stuff that's a bit pants slide.

Palanan
2018-10-06, 11:39 AM
Aquaman at least doesn't look as pretentious and self-important and humourless like Man of Steel/Bats vrs Supes….

True enough.

I tried watching Man of Steel five times and was just bored. I tried watching Dawn of Justice and couldn’t get past how utterly full of its own momentousness it was.

As for Wonder Woman, it had Gal Gadot. Was there a story? Was there a plot? I don’t know. It had Gal Gadot. :smalltongue:

I mean, if something makes me laugh, I am prepared far more to let other stuff that's a bit pants slide.

…pants…slide…?

:smalleek:

hamishspence
2018-10-06, 11:45 AM
…pants…slide…?

To be forgiving of a mistake is to "let it slide"

To be somewhat awful is to be "a bit pants".

Legato Endless
2018-10-06, 02:34 PM
Mamoa always comes across as trying too hard for me in these films. I don't know if it's bad direction or lack of charisma but it never feels naturally winsome when he tries for fist pumping shouts. Given that seems to be half his character here, I'm underwhelmed.

I was kind of curious if we'd get some decent tableaus for action scenes really exploiting parts of the film taking place underwater, but so far everything looks like your typical oceanic saga of Space Opera in blue filter.

Draconi Redfir
2018-10-06, 03:02 PM
i haven't been keeping up with the whole DC universe, but i WANT to like Aquaman. i always enjoyed the grizzled aquaman with the hookshot-hand thing.

did they seriously need to give him the orange shirt though? He'd do so much better without the orange shirt...

... or any shirt for that matter...

Ramza00
2018-10-06, 03:31 PM
Sigh Jason Momoa just reminds me I miss Stargate.

Honestly can we get 10 million dollars transferred from the DCEU and put into DC Animated so we get more good stuff like Young Justice? Money is fungible, quality stuff is not and quality stuff needs money to be made. This is not the ideal use of resources people.

The Jack
2018-10-06, 03:32 PM
Mamoa was fun to watch when he was doing Stargate Atlantis, his range isn't bad, he's just a little typecast. I still think he's a strange choice, because I'm a racist not really sold on the atlantean being from the pacific.

Ramza00
2018-10-06, 03:57 PM
Mamoa was fun to watch when he was doing Stargate Atlantis, his range isn't bad, he's just a little typecast. I still think he's a strange choice, because I'm a racist not really sold on the atlantean being from the pacific.

Fictional world. Once you start giving nation-states super powers / advanced technology you have to ask the colonial question where was Atlantis during slavery when humans enslaved another group of humans and sailed the 7 seas...

And so on with other hypothetical about the darkest hours of human history, and we have lots of dark hours for humans can be both very wicked and very just / generous depending on the situation. When you give a national state super powers / advanced technology compared to other nation states you have to ask these questions [or lampshade it, links to an OOTS comic in the spoiler block] for relative power differentials allows some nation states to do something other nation states can not. And when you have the power to do something the claim vs obligation question comes up for you now have the POSSIBLE duty to do something when you can actually do it, when you can actually change the result.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/yx9GVVxrx7YCjjl1wS9.gif

So what I am saying Atlantis in Atlantic, Pacific, Mediterrerian, vs another of the 7 seas does not really matter too much for if you look at a fictional world too intensively like it is a magic eye poster eventually you will get a headache. You have to accept the fictional world hand waves things away if it is supposed to be our Earth, or you just have to accept it is not our Earth but a similar Earth analogue and what we know to occur in our history may not apply to this Earth analogue. (Aka it is a game of hypotheticals and do not go too deep down the rabbit hole.)

-----

Oh yes Mamoa is so typecasted.

Sometime his agent needs to get him into a romantic comedy where the audience thinks he is X, such as a dumb muscle gym nut but in the romantic comedy we see that he has a caring sensitive side plus he is intelligent and witty...but this sensitive soul also just goes to the gym 10 to 15 hours a week (aka 10% of his life.)

Something to break the mold slowly and open him up to a greater range of parts while still preserving the option to do action movies and tv shows.

The Jack
2018-10-06, 04:18 PM
Fictional world. Once you start giving nation-states super powers / advanced technology you have to ask the colonial question where was Atlantis during slavery when humans enslaved another group of humans and sailed the 7 seas...

And so on with other hypothetical about the darkest hours of human history, and we have lots of dark hours for humans can be both very wicked and very just / generous depending on the situation. When you give a national state super powers / advanced technology compared to other nation states you have to ask these questions [or lampshade it, links to an OOTS comic in the spoiler block] for relative power differentials allows some nation states to do something other nation states can not. And when you have the power to do something the claim vs obligation question comes up for you now have the POSSIBLE duty to do something when you can actually do it, when you can actually change the result.

Not really. Anything smaller than a full alien invasion/doom of the planet shouldn't get something like Atlantis/Gorilla city or whatever involved. The Atlantic slave trade seems monstrous by our time, but in historical context it wasn't; I doubt any such superpowered nation would see the atlantic slave trade as so significant of a step up from the usual wars and atrocities commited. They'd probably have forecast it as temporary too, if they had even noticed the event (this is a nation of millions with the territory of a whole ocean)

(also Atlanteans probably aren't going to be that sympathetic on the race issue; All surface dwellers are beneath them, in a figurative sense)

Other than those times where people were testing nukes in the water, or those man made environmental disasters, why would such nations bother with normal people?