PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warforged Bodyguard - What class? Cavalier?

Wasp
2018-10-05, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone

I'd like to create a Warforged Bodyguard, so a Warforged that was constructed to protect a wizard or one or more similar "assets" in combat - and I was wondering what the best build would be for that.

Starting Level would be 1, Standard Array, 1 Free Feat at first level for everyone. No other restrictions, except I would prefer no Paladin levels in order not to step on the toes of another player (who will go Pal 2 / Divine Soul X).

I was thinking
Warforged Juggernaut Fighter (Cavalier) all the way
with STR 16, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8 after modifiers
and Great Weapon Fighting and either Polearm Master or Great Weapon Master at first level and the other one at 4

but I would be open to alternatives (and/or progression ideas).

I would also love ideas for an equipment wish list for later and - if I go cavalier - a suggestion for a (more flavorful than powerful) feature I could propose to the DM as alternative for the "Born to the Saddle" feature as I really don't like the idea of a mounted warforged...

Cheers

Wasp

CTurbo
2018-10-06, 01:48 AM
Protection Cleric would be interesting here.

Or Battle Master Fighter with the Protection Fighting Style.

Sentinel would be a must I would think. Alert would be great too.

Vorpalchicken
2018-10-06, 02:29 AM
There's always Ancestral Guardian Barbarian but that may need some effort or refluffing to fit into your narrative.

I wouldn't worry about stepping on the paladin's toes. That's barely a paladin. Crown or Redemption can make great bodyguards but they are on about equal footing with the Cavalier. Well, apart from the huge Save bonuses.

A lot may depend on the sort of foes against which you are guarding.

Wasp
2018-10-06, 12:13 PM
Protection Cleric would be interesting here.
That IS quite interesting, but maybe a bit off for what I imagined my Warforged.

Or Battle Master Fighter with the Protection Fighting Style.
I felt using Reach weapons may actually be better for meat shielding than Sword and Board, that's why I though of Cavalier fiorst.

Sentinel would be a must I would think. Alert would be great too.
I was thinking Sentinel may not be necessary with Hold the Line? The question may be how many feats can one take before the lack of ASI hurts...

There's always Ancestral Guardian Barbarian but that may need some effort or refluffing to fit into your narrative.
That would be very much OK, we are relatively open to reskinning stuff (e.g. cossbows as flintlocks etc). What would you propse for a Barbarian? Maybe MC with Cavalier?

I wouldn't worry about stepping on the paladin's toes. That's barely a paladin.
True. But it just feels wrong to me :lol:

A lot may depend on the sort of foes against which you are guarding.
I don't know yet what foes to expect. I would assume it's originally more defending magic users against mundane military threats, but now there will be all kinds of threats. We are thinking the Warforged is actually send by the family of one of the other players to play bodyguard (or nanny).

Unoriginal
2018-10-06, 02:05 PM
Cavalier can be pretty good for bodyguarding, indeed.

Wasp
2018-10-06, 08:27 PM
OK, So pure Cavalier seems like a good option?