PDA

View Full Version : Oath of Devotion.. To evil? Seeking rp suggestions...

samcifer
2018-10-06, 10:09 AM
So after the dm allowed me to roll a new character for our evil campaign, I decide to go with a fallen aasimar divine soul sorc / oath of devotion paladin gwm character.

There's another full paladin in our group whi is playing a fallen aasimar oathbreaker paladin who worships Baphomet and wants to spread worship of Him.

Because I have difficulty in coming up with stuff to do in rp encounters and in-game downtime, I figured that my guy could become the oathbreaker's disciple. As that player tends to dominate rp encounters and has clear plans on what he wants to do with his character as far as a goal and rp encounters, my guy would become his right-hand man, sent by Baphomet to assist him.

But how to play an oath of devotion to Baphomet when the tenets of the oath are so different from the kind of god being worshiped?

Any suggestions?

Millstone85
2018-10-06, 10:26 AM
But how to play an oath of devotion to Baphomet when the tenets of the oath are so different from the kind of god being worshiped?

Any suggestions?Change the tenets.

Unoriginal
2018-10-06, 10:27 AM
Let's take a look at the Devotion tenets:

"Honesty: Don’t lie or cheat. Let your word be your promise."

This right out already disqualify anyone willingly serving Baphomet. Baphomet regularly trick people by pretending to be a different entity, resulting in tricked believers suffering horrific fates.

"Courage: Never fear to act, though caution is wise."

This also disqualify anyone willingly serving Baphomet. Baphomet does not want caution, he wants bestial savagery

Compassion: Aid others, protect the weak, and punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your foes, but temper it with Wisdom.

Neither protecting the weaks, or mercy are things compatible with Baphomet.

Honor: Treat others with fairness, and let your honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as much good as possible while causing the least amount of harm.

I think I don't have to explain this one.

Duty: Be responsible for your actions and their consequences, protect those entrusted to your care, and obey those who have just authority over you.

Again, Lord of Savagery. Not really one for acting responsibly.

My advice: either play an Oathbreaker or Conquest paladin, or ask your DM if you can ignore the Devotion tenets, and just re-fluff the Oath into something new entirely.

samcifer
2018-10-06, 10:42 AM
Let's take a look at the Devotion tenets:

This right out already disqualify anyone willingly serving Baphomet. Baphomet regularly trick people by pretending to be a different entity, resulting in tricked believers suffering horrific fates.

This also disqualify anyone willingly serving Baphomet. Baphomet does not want caution, he wants bestial savagery

Neither protecting the weaks, or mercy are things compatible with Baphomet.

I think I don't have to explain this one.

Again, Lord of Savagery. Not really one for acting responsibly.

My advice: either play an Oathbreaker or Conquest paladin, or ask your DM if you can ignore the Devotion tenets, and just re-fluff the Oath into something new entirely.

I really love the +cha to hit effect of the oath, which is my main draw to it as I want to make regular use of GWM on my greatsword and glaive weapons, so I'd like to re-work the tenants. I'm only planning on going to pal 6; all other levels will be sorc unless I take two levels of fighter for action surge.

Millstone85
2018-10-06, 11:00 AM
You could inverse the tenets:
Deceit. Promises are for those who believe in them. Their loss.
Savagery. Embrace the beast within. Turn even fear into wrath.
Cruelty. The strong are to be brought down, and the weak to be toyed with. Show no mercy.
Entropy. Set the land aflame. Make the rivers run red with blood.
Fealty. Remember that you belong to Baphomet.

samcifer
2018-10-06, 11:06 AM
You could inverse the tenets:
Deceit. Promises are for those who believe in them. Their loss.
Savagery. Embrace the beast within. Turn even fear into wrath.
Cruelty. The strong are to be brought down, and the weak to be toyed with. Show no mercy.
Entropy. Set the land aflame. Make the rivers run red with blood.
Fealty. Remember that you belong to Baphomet.

I like this version. Very fitting an much appreciated. I would add to Fealty "...He is master of all."

Unoriginal
2018-10-06, 11:17 AM
Or you could not have tenets. Baphomet is chaotic, he won't care as long as you do his bidding.

Then again, the paladins' oaths are contract magic to themselves more than to otherworldly entities. So eh.

Just out of curiosity, what are your characters' goals? Leeching off the Oathbreaker until he's outlived his usefulness?

samcifer
2018-10-06, 11:42 AM
Or you could not have tenets. Baphomet is chaotic, he won't care as long as you do his bidding.

Then again, the paladins' oaths are contract magic to themselves more than to otherworldly entities. So eh.

Just out of curiosity, what are your characters' goals? Leeching off the Oathbreaker until he's outlived his usefulness?

His goals are to overthrow mainstream faiths, show why the other gods are not worthy off worship and spread the worship of Baphomet as he helps to rebuild the world in Baphomet's image.

1Pirate
2018-10-06, 03:40 PM
Exactly how obviously evil is the Oathbreaker? He could simply lie to you about what Baphomet's true goals are. Then around level 6 you discover the truth, triggering your sorcerous(is that even a word?) awakening. Afterwards you stay with him, placing your vow of loyalty to him above all else.

Unoriginal
2018-10-06, 03:51 PM
Exactly how obviously evil is the Oathbreaker? He could simply lie to you about what Baphomet's true goals are. Then around level 6 you discover the truth, triggering your sorcerous(is that even a word?) awakening. Afterwards you stay with him, placing your vow of loyalty to him above all else.

what are you talking about, 1Pirate?

How would the Oathbreaker lie about Baphomet's true goals, and why would OP's PC prefer the Oathbreaker to the Demon Prince?

Also, yes, sorcerous is a word.

1Pirate
2018-10-06, 05:13 PM
If the Oathbreaker isn't clearly evil, the OP could be told that what people say about Baphomet isn't true(or maybe Baphomet himself said so), he's actually working to bring goodness, honesty, and rice pudding to the world. So he could keep the tenets of Devotion, thinking he's actually serving a just master.

samcifer
2018-10-06, 05:22 PM

No, he's definitely evil. Also, after my character's fall into becoming a fallen aasimar, he received a vision from Baphomet to go aid the oathbreaker in his mission. Here's my character's backstory. Note that the firbolg referred to is my previous character who was searching for a magical artifact that had created an entire wilderness, but was stolen and the wilderness home of the firbolg was slowly dying:

"The Asimar who came to bear the name of Veligos had witnessed Azreael's fall and the once proud man's casting out had left questions in the hearts and minds of many, including Veligos himself. Tortured with doubt, Veligos found himself questioning everything he had ever been taught by his superiors within the order of the holy paladin. Was their way the best? Was it proper to cater to the weak and undeserving? Why were their ways correct and those of men like Azreal wrong?

One day as he sat, lost in thought, he felt a mighty power build within him. Magic all but exploded within him, his body radiating holy light and celestial flames that began to change in color. The golden light dimmed to a sickly blue-white radiance as the flames that surrounded him turned black as the deepest pit of the neatherrealms. Those who bore witness were horrified by the starting transformation of the man. The leaders of the order saw him and were furious, claiming that he had allowed doubt and weakness to corrupt him. They also saw him as a threat, for the origin of his sorcerous power was divine in nature and therefore a threat to their claim of being the chosen voices of the gods...

But Veligos had never felt stronger or more powerful as he did in that moment. Knowing that he would be killed by those who feared his newfound unholy power and connection to the gods that was greater than their own, Veligos fled, the new sorcerous power within him aiding in his escape. After he escaped his homeland, he wandered the world, a paladin who's faith had fractured. He wandered for several years, practicing with his newfound power and learning to understand his transformation as he continued to improve his skill in combat.

One night he received a vision. A being that was a combination of goat and humanoid, man and woman, light and dark. "I have seen your struggles and the doubt within your heart," Baphomet had said. "You are right to believe that the old ways are filled with weakness and useless posturing. I have need of your strength. My servant, Azreal, seeks to rebuild the world in My image. From this day forward you shall bear the name Veligos and you will aid Azrael in his endeavors and serve him in my name. Seek the artifact the firbolg no longer desires. The fool would have squandered its power for his own simplistic desires, a power that will prove instrumental in rebuilding the world to favor the strong above all. NOW GO!!!"

A new dark faith awoke within Veligos and in that moment, he found a new oath, one of devotion to Baphomet, the being who had given him a new purpose in life. His purpose clear, the sorcerous paladin set forth, his purpose clear.

The world would be cleansed in fire and blood and Veligos would do all he could to rid the lands of the weak and the unworthy..."

1Pirate
2018-10-06, 07:22 PM
Ah, I see. It reads a little more Conquest than Devotion, but should be fine if your DM doesn't mind.