PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Classes for a modern setting?

rs2excelsior
2018-10-06, 12:42 PM
Hello Playground,

I am looking to run a game in a low-magic, real-world modern setting, and we're using Pathfinder 1E since it's what we all (myself especially) are most familiar with. I've got some tweaks in the works, but I am running into a slight problem--the flavor for most of the classes really doesn't fit in a modern setting. So, while I do a little digging on my own, I thought it would be a good idea to see if any of you all know of any classes or archetypes for existing classes that fit to a modern setting (not sci-fi like Starfinder, though I will probably take a look at those classes and see if I can use them as a starting point). Can be Paizo official or third party, doesn't matter to me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

ngilop
2018-10-06, 03:23 PM
Hello Playground,

I am looking to run a game in a low-magic, real-world modern setting, and we're using Pathfinder 1E since it's what we all (myself especially) are most familiar with. I've got some tweaks in the works, but I am running into a slight problem--the flavor for most of the classes really doesn't fit in a modern setting. So, while I do a little digging on my own, I thought it would be a good idea to see if any of you all know of any classes or archetypes for existing classes that fit to a modern setting (not sci-fi like Starfinder, though I will probably take a look at those classes and see if I can use them as a starting point). Can be Paizo official or third party, doesn't matter to me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Which classes are not fitting in flavor wise?

If it the casting classes, of course. PF is high fantasy and the real world is the real world.

If it is the Fighter, Rouge, or Alchemist. I am unsure how you are not getting flavor.

Geddy2112
2018-10-06, 03:31 PM
Any of the non magic classes should be pretty fine. Rogue, fighter, brawler, monk, ninja, cavalier, magicless ranger, slayer, barbarian, vigilante, swashbuckler, even investigator and maybe alchemist can work.

Just avoid magic features and SLA's for certain classes, as well as take magicless archetypes.

Envoy is a good starfinder class to port in to replace bard nonmagically. Soldiers and operatives work well for modern settings too.

rs2excelsior
2018-10-06, 03:35 PM
You can definitely make the Fighter, Rogue, Alchemist (kinda), etc. fit into a real-world setting, very true. Magic does exist although most people don't think it does, but I'm avoiding many of the issues with PF magic users by going spheres. But there are some pretty big gaps not covered by classes I'm familiar with, because they don't fit in a classic fantasy setting: things like a techie, scholar, mechanic, or pilot/driver. A rouge works well enough as a modern criminal (or other sneak) and a fighter as a modern soldier, but if there were archetypes available with a modern setting in mind, that would be great to look at.

Envoy is a good starfinder class to port in to replace bard nonmagically. Soldiers and operatives work well for modern settings too.

I will definitely take a look at those, thanks! Not sure how much work it would be to port SF to PF as I've never played Starfinder, but I don't imagine it'd be too difficult.

ngilop
2018-10-06, 04:09 PM
have you thought about taking a look at modern pathfinder (http://www.d20modernpf.com/)?

rs2excelsior
2018-10-06, 06:35 PM
I hadn't considered pathfinder modern because I didn't know it existed, but that is basically exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

Florian
2018-10-07, 02:30 AM
Take a look at Starfinder first. With the exception of Mechanic, which is more like a drone operator, most classes should work fine.