PDA

View Full Version : Cream Cheese

blackout
2007-09-17, 06:15 AM
Cream cheese is so awesome, it has a thread now. SPEAK OF YOUR EXPERIENCES USING CREAM CHEESE!

BRC
2007-09-17, 07:16 AM
A cream Cheese bit my sister once...

Zanthur
2007-09-17, 07:17 AM
Don't lynch me or anything, but I hate cream cheese...

Simius
2007-09-17, 08:08 AM
Did you know that cream cheese actually tastes pretty good in combination with dark chocolate?

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-09-17, 08:12 AM
Cream cheese is fantastic. It's nice on toast or "baguette" with herbs, lattice and/or vinaigrette but also a great ingredient for mediteranean cooking! even in deserts, like Tiramisu.:belkar:

LCR
2007-09-17, 08:43 AM
Cream cheese says: "Shut up."

Terumitsu
2007-09-17, 08:52 AM
Without it... we would have no such thing as cheesecake.... And as such... I am quite thankful for whomever came up with it.

Cyrano
2007-09-17, 11:03 AM
It's just like the rotted lactate secretion of bovines, but creamier! Sign me up, Batman.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-17, 11:06 AM
For Me Cream Cheese Induces Fast And Furious Vomit-Filled Death.

Cyrano
2007-09-17, 11:11 AM
But if you take the first letter of all the words you typed, Kael, it spells I love cream cheese!

Kaelaroth
2007-09-17, 11:13 AM
Ummm... I'm sure it does.

In your warped imagination...

However, I am lactose intolerant. That's probably something to do with it...

PlatinumJester
2007-09-17, 12:12 PM
Has anyone ever had Vegan cheese? It tastes like C4 that has been up a cow's arse.

It joins Spam and Soy Milk as one of the World's crappiest foods.

sktarq
2007-09-17, 12:20 PM
Cream cheese five days a week for the last ten years....yeah I like the stuff too

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 12:24 PM
Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
This recipe comes is a combination of recipes from The Best Recipe and Baker's Best Chocolate Cookbook. As you may guess the second cookbook is a collection of recipes designed to get you to use more Baker's Chocolate.

Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
Crust:
1 c. cookie crumbs (Oreo, centers removed, food processed)
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
3 pkgs. 1/3 fat Neufchatel cream cheese (Meijer's brand)
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs (Meijer's brand flinched from my sister)
2 tsp. vanilla (Simply Organic)
7 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (Valhorna)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Tear apart oreos removing the white creamy center. Process wafers in the food processor while eating the discarded centers making your own double or triple stuffed cookies. Melt butter in microwave. Combine butter and wafers. Pour into 9 in spring form pan and use the back of a spoon to make an even crust on the bottom. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Eat more cookies because smell is irresistible.

2. Using a double boiler, melt chocolate and allow to cool. (or skip this step and remember to do it after step 4, wasting time)

3. Wrap spring form pan in heavy duty aluminum foil and place kettle of water on the stove. (Again skip this step until after step 4 and frantically try to do this while looking at the clock)

4. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Slowly add sugar and beat until dissolved (~3 mins). Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl after each addition, because the cream cheese on the side of the bowl will show up as lumps in the cheesecake if this is not done. Remember suddenly to add the vanilla before it is too late.

5. Pour half of cream cheese batter into pan. Stir most of the chocolate into the batter, reserving the rest to do some artsy fartsy crap on the top of the cake. Pour remaining batter into pan. Notice that the chocolate batter is denser that the plain batter and therefore the nice layering effect that was expect is now all screwed up. Have sinking feeling that this has happened many times before. Try to make the best of it and hope no one notices. Try to drizzle remaining chocolate on top of cheesecake. Fail miserably and decide to cut some other swirled decoration into the top.

6. Lower oven temp to 325°F. Place spring form pan into a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water into pan about halfway up the side. Place in oven and bake for about 55 mins, or until center jiggles like Jell-O. Panic when you check the oven after 55 minutes that center is already set. Decide to not do last fiddly step called for in the recipe and take the roasting pan out of the oven. Allow cake to sit in water for another 45 minutes, because there is a chicken curry that also needs to be made.

Current Mood: chipper
Current Music: Tom Waits - I Don't Wanna Grow Up

Trog
2007-09-17, 12:26 PM
Tis good on bagels. Especially flavored cream cheese. Strawberry or Veggie. Yum. *wants a bagel now*

Cyrano
2007-09-17, 12:36 PM
Thes, do you enjoy getting the geeks to salivate so much they short out their keyboards? That's gonna cost me, Thes!
Wasn't nice of you. Now I want some cheesecake.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 12:45 PM
Thes, do you enjoy getting the geeks to salivate so much they short out their keyboards? That's gonna cost me, Thes!
Wasn't nice of you. Now I want some cheesecake.

Hee hee hee. Absolutely.

At least you live in the blessed land of Meijer's. So go out and make your own! :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Cyrano
2007-09-17, 12:46 PM
I...do?
What's Meijer's?
Oh got it. What? No I don't.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 12:47 PM
I...do?
What's Meijer's?
Oh got it. What? No I don't.

Wow, you must live in the boondocks of Michigan if ya'll don't even have a Meijer's.

Cyrano
2007-09-17, 12:55 PM
I don't live in Michigan. That's a dirty lie. I live in Canada.

Simius
2007-09-17, 01:26 PM
How much cream cheese goes in a package of Meijer's?

And do you mean Valrhona (http://www.valrhona.com/) chocolate? If so, then yummie! That's a great branch.

also: yay! Tom Waits music

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 01:35 PM
How much cream cheese goes in a package of Meijer's?

And do you mean Valrhona (http://www.valrhona.com/) chocolate? If so, then yummie! That's a great branch.

also: yay! Tom Waits music

The Tom Waits Reference is because I pulled the entry from my LiveJournal. =]

But Meijer's is just a Brand Name, It is a (US) typical 8 oz. package of cream cheese.

And yes, I do mean when I made it that time I used Valrhona brand of chocolate. You have to watch Valrhona in baking though, because if you have too much chocolate to sugar/vanilla/etc the more intricate flavors of valrhona may come through... which isn't necessarily a good thing in a baked good, even though it is awesome in an eating chocolate.

I have found milder chocolates like Callebaut are better when proportions of chocolate are high for the baked good.

Simius
2007-09-17, 01:50 PM
The Tom Waits Reference is because I pulled the entry from my LiveJournal. =]
Yeah, I guessed something like that :smallwink:

But Meijer's is just a Brand Name, It is a (US) typical 8 oz. package of cream cheese.

And yes, I do mean when I made it that time I used Valrhona brand of chocolate. You have to watch Valrhona in baking though, because if you have too much chocolate to sugar/vanilla/etc the more intricate flavors of valrhona may come through... which isn't necessarily a good thing in a baked good, even though it is awesome in an eating chocolate.

I have found milder chocolates like Callebaut are better when proportions of chocolate are high for the baked good.

Right, I think I'm gonna try to make this, despite all your weird American units and measurements :smallamused: . I'll ask about the Valrhona chocolate at the chocolate shop/factory I work at. I think the patissiers who work there also use the Valrhona in their chocolate pies, but I'm not sure. But thanks for the recipe.

tannish2
2007-09-17, 02:36 PM
creamcheesepwnsu

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-17, 04:44 PM
Yummy!
Cream cheese is good on bagels... yeah, that's all I can think of. :smalltongue:

Logic
2007-09-17, 04:50 PM
As long as you dont make the lunchmeat rollercoasters with it, cream cheese is GOOD.

A Rainy Knight
2007-09-17, 04:51 PM
I've never had cream cheese. Perhaps this thread will give me the prompting that I need to try it...
...perhaps not. Either way, the cream cheese fan club has my full support simply because other kinds of cheese are also good.

GimliFett
2007-09-17, 04:54 PM
Cream Cheese with Chipotle sauce over it... Good with tortilla chips or crackers! :smallsmile:

blackout
2007-09-17, 05:04 PM
Just finished eating some cream cheese with good ol' fashioned bread. :smallsmile: Yum...

Syka
2007-09-17, 05:13 PM
I now have a new recipe to try....and does it end up looking all swirled like as opposed to layered?

I have a feeling when I try this my boyfriend is going to be laughing hysterically. "Oh god oh god I MESSED IT UP!" "Calm down." "But-but...*shaking*" "Ok, just finish melting the chocolate..." :smallbiggrin: Not really but it's funny to imagine.

Cheers,
Syka

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 05:32 PM
I now have a new recipe to try....and does it end up looking all swirled like as opposed to layered?

I have a feeling when I try this my boyfriend is going to be laughing hysterically. "Oh god oh god I MESSED IT UP!" "Calm down." "But-but...*shaking*" "Ok, just finish melting the chocolate..." :smallbiggrin: Not really but it's funny to imagine.

Cheers,
Syka

Actually it did look really good at the end, when reading it over again with Trog, I remembered the pool party I took it too, and that one of my friends thought the cheesecake was professionally made. :smallwink:

Just run a knife through it and mix it up until you think it looks good. And if it doesn't ever look good, eventually it will be evenly mixed and it will look fine, just not artsy. :smallbiggrin:

And I am sure you will do fine. Don't worry, I am sure you won't make as many mistakes as I did when I made this recipe. :smallsmile:

Vaynor
2007-09-17, 05:48 PM
Cream cheese is awesome sandwiched between two graham crackers.

*drool*

I wish I had some graham crackers...

Nibleswick
2007-09-17, 11:40 PM
Cream cheese is fantastic. Blintzes, or maybe cheese cake, or cherry chocolates FTW.

Hell Puppi
2007-09-18, 12:33 AM
Cream cheese+ salsa= awesome cracker dip

Raiser Blade
2007-09-18, 02:39 AM
Lets see experiances with cream cheese eh?

Hmm... well in the interest of keeping this thread G rated i won't tell all of my experiances with cream cheese. :smallwink: Just kidding. ;)

But bagels yeah good on bagels and toast... mhmm cheesy toast.
*droolz*

Vhaidara
2007-09-18, 02:39 PM
Did you know that cream cheese actually tastes pretty good in combination with dark chocolate?

I don't get it. Bad+Bad=good? I personally am just not a cheese guy, unless it's on pizza. But who doesn't like cheese on pizza?

CMOTDibbler
2007-09-18, 03:14 PM
Hey, has anyone else actually made a sandwich with cream cheese(as opposed to mayo, mustard, etc.)? I think it's delicious!:smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2007-09-18, 03:50 PM
I don't get it. Bad+Bad=good? I personally am just not a cheese guy, unless it's on pizza. But who doesn't like cheese on pizza?

If I ever make a Dark Chocolate cheesecake for a meetup and your there, I won't let you have a piece. :smallwink:

And anyone who makes that Cheesecake please tell me how it turns out, I would like to know.

Cyrano
2007-09-18, 03:53 PM
Actually, Thes, if you ever make a Dark Chocolate Cheesecake for a meet up, chances are you and/or Trog will eat all of it beforehand, because it's so good.
Otherwise, it won't last 20 seconds. Even though I'm not there, this is a DnD site! Sugar quails in our presence, for we are like the lovechildren of The Flash and some vultures! And a sugar addict!

Vhaidara
2007-09-18, 04:30 PM
Meh, I just happen not to like Dark chocolate or cheese.

Cyrano
2007-09-18, 04:30 PM
Meh, I just happen not to like Dark chocolate or cheese.

Oh, you're alergic to good then. My sympathies.

Vhaidara
2007-09-18, 04:31 PM
Not alergic. I just prefer milk choclate. As for cheese, I just don't like it.