PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help me brainstorm a set of abilities/bonus spells for a mechanistic patron

PhoenixPhyre
2018-10-06, 02:21 PM
I'm considering a homebrew warlock patron based around working for my setting's equivalent of Mechanus. The Great Mechanism is what keeps everything going by transferring energy around to the planes, synchronizing rotations, keeping things in orbit, keeping weather patterns going, etc. It emphasizes and desires (as much as an entity like that can desire) stability and predictability. Good/evil are alien to it, but it hates chaos. And it needs caretakers. People who can go fix aberrations that arise.

What sorts of things might fit this theme? My thoughts so far:

* Bonus spells (levels 1-5)
** Level 1: alarm, grease
** Level 2: lesser restoration
** Level 3: haste, slow
** Level 4: Freedom of Movement, fabricate(*)
** Level 5: greater restoration, animate objects
* 1st level ability -- something involving canceling advantage or disadvantage (representing making the universe work as normal)?
* 6th level ability -- Something with making ability checks more regular (maybe being able to take 10, sacrificing the upside potential for mitigating the downside risk?)
* 10th level ability -- Some sort of defensive ability?
* 14th level ability -- something construct related?

(*) too much for SR slot recovery?

Nifft
2018-10-06, 02:49 PM
People who can go fix aberrations that arise. Since we're talking about homebrew, I have no idea how literally you mean this sentence.

* Bonus spells (levels 1-5)
** Level 1: alarm, grease
** Level 2: lesser restoration
** Level 3: haste, slow
** Level 4: Freedom of Movement, fabricate(*)
** Level 5: greater restoration, animate objects

Some of these seem ... disorderly, and not in tune with your description of the Patron. Like haste and slow are both intrusive changes to other creatures, not useful for building / artifice / repair.

Other spell ideas for building / artifice:
- Stone Shape
- Creation
- Transmute Rock
- Arcane Lock and/or Knock
- Wall of Stone

If you need troubleshooters to destroy blockages, then stuff like:
- Shatter
- Disintegrate (6th level spell, so emulate it as a 10th level ability maybe)

If you need troubleshooters to repair stuff:
- Identify
- Augury ("Can I break down this pillar or is it a structural support? Let's ask god.")
- Mending (as a cantrip)
- Heat Metal / Chill Metal (perhaps as a single spell instead of two)

PhoenixPhyre
2018-10-06, 03:51 PM
Not so much fix structural malfunctions, but remove or adjust people or events that threaten the stability of the universe.

I was thinking more along the lines of tinkering with local events, making sure that the more orderly outcomes prevail. Also, fight against randomness. Kind of an anti-wild-magic theme.

Nifft
2018-10-06, 06:00 PM
Also, fight against randomness. Kind of an anti-wild-magic theme.

You might want Counterspell and/or Dispel Magic.

In terms of anti-randomness, allow the character to replace any die roll with 11, after seeing the result of the roll; refresh on a short rest. Now it's a Warlock Diviner, except always 11 instead of rolling. 2 uses at 6th level; 3 uses at 17th level.