PDA

View Full Version : Training in the afterlife

blademaster42
2007-09-17, 06:27 AM
Here's an idea: Eugene trains Roy in a level of wizard while he's dead. He can put his money where his mouth is and Roy'll see if it makes as much difference as his dad says it will. Anyone else think this would be cool?

Tempest Fennac
2007-09-17, 06:30 AM
Would Roy actually be able to get any levels in the afterlife? If he became an Archon or Angel, it would add a lot of levels and new abilities, but I don't know if he'd be able to get class levels.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-17, 06:30 AM
Honestly? No. Roy is a fighter, through and through. He might be willing to learn a few monk techniques from Miko though...

blademaster42
2007-09-17, 06:43 AM
"the term is 'smite evil', not 'bump uglies'!" :smalltongue:

SPoD
2007-09-17, 06:55 AM
I got the impression that Eugene was telling Roy that he can't earn XP in the afterlife at all. Which makes sense, because in D&D, you can't earn XP in the afterlife at all. You CAN earn XP if you physically travel to an outer plane using magic, but not if you're a dead soul who just ends up there.

Revlid
2007-09-17, 07:21 AM
With his tactical mind and good intelligence, Roy looks like he would make a good wizard.
However, to do so would be to give up on everything he's tried to prove to his arrogant and overbearing father; he "proves him right".

Roy is a Fighter/Close Combat Class through and through.

Seerow
2007-09-17, 07:46 AM
If Roy had decided to do so 10 levels ago, sure.

At this point Roy has too many levels of Fighter to even try to be a decent Gish.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-17, 07:48 AM
Roy should take enough levels in cleric and/or druid to resurrect himself.

Er, maybe not.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-17, 08:48 AM
I don't think Roy has any interest in putting up with is father as a teacher.

dehro
2007-09-17, 09:13 AM
I don't think Roy has any interest in putting up with is father as a teacher.

that, and the whole thing of afterlife training is being spoofed by The Giant, so I doubt he would ever think of having his main PC going through such a plotline...also, this would mean that roy is going to be separated from his fellow OoTS'ers..for quite some time...I don't see that happen anytime soon

factotum
2007-09-17, 09:28 AM
As was said very clearly in the strip: does this LOOK like Dragonball Z?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-17, 09:42 AM
As was said very clearly in the strip: does this LOOK like Dragonball Z?

No. Roy can't go Super Saiyan because he doesn't have hair.

blademaster42
2007-09-17, 09:50 AM
I got the impression that Eugene was telling Roy that he can't earn XP in the afterlife at all. Which makes sense, because in D&D, you can't earn XP in the afterlife at all. You CAN earn XP if you physically travel to an outer plane using magic, but not if you're a dead soul who just ends up there.

Well, there goes my theory. :P

LM TR
2007-09-17, 09:52 AM
No. Roy can't go Super Saiyan because he doesn't have hair.

ha ha

Edea
2007-09-17, 10:38 AM
Too bad it's not OGL, but Roy would make a damn good Warblade.

And if he went Super Saiyan he'd grow hair when he did it, he's so badass :smallbiggrin: .

Tharr
2007-09-17, 10:50 AM
Great maybe Juila is now Goku role.

GSFB
2007-09-17, 10:51 AM
And when resurrected, he will have very little, if any, memory of his time in Heaven. If you could retain what you learn up there when you come back here, it would really upset the balance of things.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-09-17, 11:32 AM
This is DnD, you lose levels when you get ressurected.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-17, 11:57 AM
This is DnD, you lose levels when you get ressurected.

I think you lose "A" level, but Roy is higher level than everyone but Durkon. And those two may well be the same level.

SoD Spoiler:

They began adventuring before the rest, although Durkon started three years earlier. Durkon might have a level or two on Roy, but I'm not sure...

See the class and level geekery thread for the latest numbers...

ZekeArgo
2007-09-17, 11:58 AM
I dunno about you all, but am I the only one who sees Roy as a prime candidate for a class re-write after being slain? I know I'm not the only one to change some things around to make things interesting, or even viable if the character I had built up (outside of personality) wasn't contributing.

Were I the player of a pure fighter at those high levels I know I'd be looking at the Warblade and thinking "Oh, so not only does it gain bonuses from from INT, but it also makes an awesome fighter capable of at least standing up to magic users? Please, tell me more."

Very curious to see how this goes.

Dunamin
2007-09-17, 12:00 PM
Too bad it's not OGL, but Roy would make a damn good Warblade.
Possibly, though he would lose the whole classic-fighter-with-no-fancy-magic-tricks feel

Skyserpent
2007-09-17, 01:54 PM
Roy is a fighter, he hits things with other things until they break. It's simple, it's what he does. Warblad wouldn't be in character. It's too magicky.

2007-09-17, 02:06 PM
I think you lose "A" level, but Roy is higher level than everyone but Durkon. And those two may well be the same level.

SoD Spoiler:

They began adventuring before the rest, although Durkon started three years earlier. Durkon might have a level or two on Roy, but I'm not sure...

See the class and level geekery thread for the latest numbers...

"You were the highest level Good character on the field!"

Roy is higher than Hinjo and Durkon and everyone else.

Ancalagon
2007-09-17, 02:17 PM
Here's an idea: Eugene trains Roy in a level of wizard while he's dead. He can put his money where his mouth is and Roy'll see if it makes as much difference as his dad says it will. Anyone else think this would be cool?

ONE level of Wizard? Yeah, that is *surely* going to make a difference.

Ganurath
2007-09-17, 02:23 PM
ONE level of Wizard? Yeah, that is *surely* going to make a difference.he wouldn't lose a level of fighter when he came back, so actually, yeah, it would... Too many commas!

Porthos
2007-09-17, 02:24 PM
ONE level of Wizard? Yeah, that is *surely* going to make a difference.

He would have been able to cast Feather Fall (in armor no less) if he had a single level of Wizard. :smalltongue:

twofry
2007-09-17, 03:50 PM
what i can see Roy doing is taking a prestige class thats anti-undead.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-09-17, 04:04 PM
what i can see Roy doing is taking a prestige class thats anti-undead.

Like a good Death Knight? Not a Paladin cuz they're alive. But like a Good Undead Creature.(if such a thing exists)

hanzo66
2007-09-17, 04:39 PM
Like a good Death Knight? Not a Paladin cuz they're alive. But like a Good Undead Creature.(if such a thing exists)

You mean like an Life Knight?

Hyrael
2007-09-17, 05:13 PM
Roy is a fighter, he hits things with other things until they break. It's simple, it's what he does. Warblade wouldn't be in character. It's too magicky.

Well, sort of. Swordsages are magicy, but warblade powers tend toward the more mundane. I personally think roy would do well by specializing in Iron Heart/Diamond Mind, and picking the less "obvious" maneuvers. Roy would appreciate the concept of using one's physical abilities to acheive exceptional results that so far, only spellcasters can manage.

(compare to OUR world. All the raw power here is in the hands of the guys with the AK47s and massive biceps, and we nerds get the crap end of the stick. If one could really manipulate reality by, for example, forging a mental connection to the land and it's mana, I would take to it like a duck to water. Door county is rich in blue and green mana.)

Edea
2007-09-17, 08:59 PM
I mainly said it because Roy apparently has quite the Intelligence score, though his having that and still being a Fighter is part of what makes him special :x.