PDA

View Full Version : Mending a +1 sword

EggKookoo
2018-10-06, 05:59 PM
So the description for Mending says "This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can’t restore magic to such an object." What happens if a +1 sword (or any + weapon) is broken and then repaired with this cantrip? Does the sword retain (or reclaim) its +1 property or is it now just a regular sword? Put another way, if you break a +1 sword, is it still inherently +1?

Unoriginal
2018-10-06, 06:22 PM
So the description for Mending says "This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can’t restore magic to such an object." What happens if a +1 sword (or any + weapon) is broken and then repaired with this cantrip? Does the sword retain (or reclaim) its +1 property or is it now just a regular sword? Put another way, if you break a +1 sword, is it still inherently +1?

Apparently not, since the spell precise the magic is not restored.

As the DMG says:

MAGIC ITEM RESILIENCE
Most magic items are objects of extraordinary artisanship. Thanks to a combination of careful crafting and magical reinforcement, a magic item is at least as durable as a nonmagical item of its kind. Most magic items, other than potions and scrolls, have resistance to all damage. Artifacts are practically indestructible, requiring extraordinary measures to destroy.

And we know that destroyed artifacts no longer have the magic they once possessed. Ergo, regular magic items that get destroyed would lose their magic too.

HOWEVER, this is for *destroyed* magic items. If you use Mending on a +1 sword that is damaged but not destroyed, the magic still works and the item is put in full working condition once more (provided if fits the Mending criteria for that, of course).

As a DM, I would rule out that it's easier to repair a broken magic item than to craft one from scratch, although it would still require knowing the formula.

Same with Constructs. You can repair a damaged but functioning Golem with Mending, but if it's been destroyed it wouldn't work.

EggKookoo
2018-10-06, 06:49 PM
HOWEVER, this is for *destroyed* magic items. If you use Mending on a +1 sword that is damaged but not destroyed, the magic still works and the item is put in full working condition once more (provided if fits the Mending criteria for that, of course).

Interesting. I guess a damaged but not destroyed sword could have a crack or split in the blade but not completely severed through?

Unoriginal
2018-10-07, 05:32 AM
Interesting. I guess a damaged but not destroyed sword could have a crack or split in the blade but not completely severed through?

Sure, sounds logical.

EggKookoo
2018-10-07, 08:03 AM
So sort of as a corollary, would it be broken to houserule that Mending can repair damaged (but of course not destroyed) magical weapons only if the caster is 1) attuned to the weapon or 2) proficient with the weapon?

I'm working on a setting where weapons tech is very rare (new weapons are hard to come by and most are heirlooms) and I have an idea for a relatively easy system to handle weapon maintenance, but I'll need to tweak a few RAW things I think to make it work.

JackPhoenix
2018-10-07, 09:01 AM
So sort of as a corollary, would it be broken to houserule that Mending can repair damaged (but of course not destroyed) magical weapons only if the caster is 1) attuned to the weapon or 2) proficient with the weapon?

I'm working on a setting where weapons tech is very rare (new weapons are hard to come by and most are heirlooms) and I have an idea for a relatively easy system to handle weapon maintenance, but I'll need to tweak a few RAW things I think to make it work.

You already can do that, if the damage falls into the kind of damage Mending can repair. No need to add requirements (and +x weapons don't require attunement, meaning the 1st requirement wouldn't work).

Unoriginal
2018-10-07, 09:41 AM
You can also do it without Mending, if you're proficient in smith's tools.

EggKookoo
2018-10-07, 10:31 AM
Right, I'm talking about putting a homebrew restriction on Mending and magic items/weapons. I guess for consistency I'd have put the same restriction on using smith's tools.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2018-10-07, 04:32 PM
I would say that it is rather unsatisfying for mending to be a solution to a broken magic item. Even if it just a minor chip or dent.

I would say that repairing a magic item should follow the quest line

The party must find a dungeon / ruin with an ancient forge capable of repairing the blade
The party must then clear out what every creatures are in the way of using of the forge to repair the weapon
Once the forge is secure, the party can now use a mix of smith tools and mending to repair the blade
Tell the party that you are going have them roll on a "random table" to see how well they repair the blade. Then give the weapon a bonus appropriate for their power level (so maybe it becomes a +2 blade or it can cast a cantrip once per day)

Now the party is moving forward in their goals and their equipment begins to have a story attached to it. I would say that the party should also get an opportunity to upgrade their items as well as long as they have the forge active. (the next magical repair they need will beyond the scope of the forge they have claimed leading to a new adventure)