PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psionics - Dorje of Energy Missile/Ray/Ball/Whatever

kelly R
2018-10-06, 08:26 PM
If you buy a dorje of one of the Energy * line of powers, is the energy type of the power fixed when the dorje is created, or does it respond to the user's active energy type?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-06, 09:56 PM
You choose the energy type when manifesting. Nothing in the item rules changes this.

ericgrau
2018-10-07, 11:29 AM
Potions and psionic tattoos have all the decisions made upon creation. Pretty much everything else the decision is made when using. Thematically you aren't doing any casting with the first two things; you're just drinking or tapping. With scrolls, wands, staffs, power stones, dorjes, and crowns thematically it's like a form of casting/manifesting. And that's why they require at least basic knowledge of casting/manifesting to use them while potions and tattoos do not. Or at least scrolls, wands, staffs, power stones, dorjes, and crowns require the ability to fudge casting knowledge with UMD/UPD.

Calthropstu
2018-10-08, 03:28 AM
Please note that active energy type was a mechanc introduced in pathfinder, so this is a pf question.

This is actually a difficult answer but thinking logically, it would HAVE to be set at the time of creation. If a manifester didn't actually have a focus (such as someone using use psionic/magic device) it would just raise far too many questions. Best to go the route that makes sense than break logic. Unless you want to add +10 to the activation dc? (One to mimic psionic focus, and two to mimic active energy type.)

kelly R
2018-10-14, 04:23 PM
True, it does create complications for characters without a focus, but I might just give it an extra UMD DC penalty if you're a non-psionic character (And therefore have no focus). Mainly because the first two answers make sense to me. And happily the character with the dorje is a Vitalist so the extra DC wouldn't apply.

Calthropstu
2018-10-15, 10:42 AM
True, it does create complications for characters without a focus, but I might just give it an extra UMD DC penalty if you're a non-psionic character (And therefore have no focus). Mainly because the first two answers make sense to me. And happily the character with the dorje is a Vitalist so the extra DC wouldn't apply.

Yres, but the first answer is definitely assuming 3.5 as in pf, you don't choose an energy type at all unless you are a kineticist psion. Given that, you'd need to mimic a kinetecist psion adding to the dc for umd.