PDA

View Full Version : Wild shape disguise self

Aaedimus
2018-10-06, 09:44 PM
How would you rule the combo worked.... if I wildshape into a Giant Snake for example

sophontteks
2018-10-06, 09:47 PM
What is the combo?
"You can't change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs."
From what I can tell, you could look like a different giant snake.

Tanarii
2018-10-06, 10:01 PM
I swear officer, you've got the wrong snake!

tieren
2018-10-06, 10:25 PM
Unless you are really high level the beast form can't cast disguise self.

No brains
2018-10-07, 06:54 AM
I guess if you could change into a giant ape, a Disguise Self to look like a hill giant would be scaled to the appropriate size.

Perhaps you could also impersonate some other animals with animal-like body shapes. Go flying snake to appear as a couatl, giant constrictor snake to be a naga, giant crocodile to be a bulette, or something similar. As mentioned, prepping that disguise while you can still cast spells would be the problem.

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-07, 07:25 AM

Can I sig this?:smallbiggrin:

Aett_Thorn
2018-10-07, 07:35 AM

Oh, I see where you went wrong officer, you were looking for the Cobras over on 7th street. We’re the Asps who live on 6th. An easy mistake to make. Have a good day, officer.

Aaedimus
2018-10-07, 09:08 AM

But you can wildshape after casting and it isn't concentration.

I mean, I start as a human, cast disguise seld, wildshape to a snake... or a dog... the illusion changes with me or disappears?

I wildshape into another form...

When you're not talking about two arms and legs, what extent would you say the change could be allowed? Are wings "limbs"? Meaning would you allow turning a horse into a unicorn or Pegasus?

A giant snake into a dragon? (Without legs)

Also, what if I wanted to look like a topiary or a statue? A gargoyle? Turn a snake into a rope... it never said you have to continue to look like a living thing (although that might be rai it's now raw)

sophontteks
2018-10-07, 09:29 AM
But you can wildshape after casting and it isn't concentration.

I mean, I start as a human, cast disguise seld, wildshape to a snake... or a dog... the illusion changes with me or disappears?

I wildshape into another form...

When you're not talking about two arms and legs, what extent would you say the change could be allowed? Are wings "limbs"? Meaning would you allow turning a horse into a unicorn or Pegasus?

A giant snake into a dragon? (Without legs)

Also, what if I wanted to look like a topiary or a statue? A gargoyle? Turn a snake into a rope... it never said you have to continue to look like a living thing (although that might be rai it's now raw)
You can only appear 1 foot larger or smaller, so no wild snake turning into a dragon. A halfling can't even disguise themselves as a human.

Wings are limbs. They are effectively specialized arms. But rule of cool would be in play here more then anything.

If you start as a human, then wildshape, I'd put it down as the spell ending once you've broken the limits of the spells abilities. But there is some leeway here for the DM to play with. It could change with you to the best of its ability, giving your snake a human face (creepy). Rule of cool again.

Sure, you can make a snake appear as a rope. That sounds creative.

Priceless.

Dalebert
2018-10-07, 07:43 PM

Correct, But...

Depending on how your DM interprets, you could cast Disguise Self to appear as a pseudo dragon, for instance. Your current form isn’t similar enough so it’s not working. However, you then wildshape into a tressym. Now the spell works and you appear as a pseudo dragon.

There are all kinds of shenanigans a moon Druid can pull off once they get Alter Self at will. You cast it and then wild shape. Now you can use an action at any time to alter your form. Turn into an earth elemental and then appear as a troll or an ogre. Turn into a polar bear who looks like a gorgon.

tieren
2018-10-07, 10:17 PM
I'd say if you cast it as humanoid and choose Pegasus as your illysion, the spell fails, it doesn't wait for the goal to be possible.

Maybe if you took some wizard levels you could get malleable illusions, but seems like a huge cost for a niche trick.

youtellatale
2018-10-08, 01:35 PM
A halfling can't even disguise themselves as a human.

Maybe not a fully sized human adult...but you could get into some weird and fun shenanigans by using Disguise Self to turn into a human child. Seen it and laughed til I cried.

Aaedimus
2018-10-09, 10:16 AM
Maybe not a fully sized human adult...but you could get into some weird and fun shenanigans by using Disguise Self to turn into a human child. Seen it and laughed til I cried.

I did that once as a gnome illusionist wizard. We were running from the law because we accidentally set a plague lose in the city, and i was climbing out of a well in Waterdeep, and the town guard noticed. I convinced them I needed help than when he was looking down into the well I cast sleep at the max level and he fell through my minor illusion of a dark empty well's bottom into the clutches of my party (who DID NOT KILL HIM)

Aaedimus
2018-10-09, 10:17 AM
Bidi was a lose cannon