PDA

View Full Version : Player Help maximizing HD of undead I can control

Skullruss
2018-10-07, 12:56 AM
Real simple, low level build, less than 10. no La. I'm playing a dread necromancer and want to control as many undead as possible, don't worry about anything else.

I know about the rod of undead mastery and i found a way to get general of undeath on my character permenantly, but at level 7, that only nets me (7*5=35+28*2=126 HD) I think this can be improved. help me improve it.

BlackOnyx
2018-10-07, 04:35 AM
More of a general suggestion, but any items/spells that increase your caster level (i.e. Ring of Arcane Might, Adept Spirit) would boost the number of undead you could control via Animate Dead.

Silva Stormrage
2018-10-07, 02:30 PM
Use command undead (The spell not rebuke undead) it lets you control any mindless undead for a day/level. it doesn't have a HD cap on the undead targeted either.

Get some way of chaining the spell and you can control an obscene amount of undead with it. Watch out for dispel magic though as that can disrupt your control.

Also CL boosts don't help a Dread Necromancer unless the DM rules on a very sensible house rule. Undead Mastery sets their HD cap to (4 + Cha mod) times CLASS level not caster level.

Quertus
2018-10-07, 07:58 PM
It's much more efficient to reduce the undead's effective HD than to boost your turning.

BlackOnyx
2018-10-08, 06:45 AM
Also CL boosts don't help a Dread Necromancer unless the DM rules on a very sensible house rule. Undead Mastery sets their HD cap to (4 + Cha mod) times CLASS level not caster level.

Mm. Didn't realize Dread Necro specifically referenced class level. (It seems it's only the base Animate Dead spell that's keyed to caster level.)

Feantar
2018-10-08, 07:05 AM
You could spawn chain. As in, control an undead who creates spawn under their control, then control by proxy. But that makes you have a huge weak spot. To mitigate, you can do a true chain. Shadow A begets shadow B who begets shadow C etc. So that you only need to gain control of one specific undead being to regain control of the chain. That, of course, means losing control more frequently. Maybe combine the two, creating control cells.