PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a Druidic Focus

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-07, 11:10 AM
Is it possible to for a Druid to turn an item they found into a Druidic Focus?

If so, any idea how they'd go about this?

Unoriginal
2018-10-07, 11:27 AM
They need the relevant tool proficiency, and spending 1 week of work per 5 gp of the Druidic Focus price.

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-07, 11:40 AM
They need the relevant tool proficiency, and spending 1 week of work per 5 gp of the Druidic Focus price.

But which tool proficiency is relevant? :smallconfused:

None of them mention Druidic Focuses.

Unoriginal
2018-10-07, 11:49 AM
But which tool proficiency is relevant? :smallconfused:

None of them mention Druidic Focuses.

Depends in what the Druidic Focus is made.

The book mentions a "sprig of mistletoe or holly, a wand or scepter made of yew or another Special wood, a staff drawn whole out of a living tree, or a totem object incorporating feathers, fur, bones, and teeth from sacred animals", so most likely woodcarving (for sprigs, wands, scepters and staffs) or leatherworking tools (for stuff made of dead animals)

MightyDuck
2018-10-07, 11:55 AM
The tool depends on the nature of the item, a spell focus isn't a magic item (although it can be) and is considered a mundane item thus it can be crafted using the rules found in the downtime section of the PHB, p.187, depending on the quality of the focus you will have to spend a cetain amount of time and gold to craft it;

Arcane Focus (varies); 5-20 gp, 1-4 character days depending on it's form.

Holy Symbol (typical); 5 gp, 1 character day.

Druidic Focus (varies); Yew wand, 10 gp, 2 character days.

What tools are required is dependant on the DM, if the focus is gonna be made of wood then carpenters tools, if metal then smithing tools, etc.

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-07, 12:01 PM
The tool depends on the nature of the item, a spell focus isn't a magic item (although it can be) and is considered a mundane item thus it can be crafted using the rules found in the downtime section of the PHB, p.187, depending on the quality of the focus you will have to spend a cetain amount of time and gold to craft it;

But this is the thing - I'm talking about using a preexisting item as a druidic focus. I'm not trying to craft one from scratch.

Unoriginal
2018-10-07, 12:09 PM
But this is the thing - I'm talking about using a preexisting item as a druidic focus. I'm not trying to craft one from scratch.

What preexisting item in particular?

Re-purposing it into a focus still follows the same rules.

MightyDuck
2018-10-07, 12:16 PM
If the pre-existing item is a druid focus you can just use it, no issue, if the item is not a druid focus then you should consider it a resource in the production of the focus. You can't just pick up a stick and say its a spell focus (just like how you can't pick up a chunk of metal and say its a sword), you need to spend time and resources converting the item into a druidic focus, RP wise you could flavor this as carving runes, drawing magic from nature, making a minor sacrifice or just working on making it look really cool until your spirit bonds with the item and you can use it to cast spells, you can do anything you want but you need to spend the time and gold.

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-07, 12:47 PM
What preexisting item in particular?

Re-purposing it into a focus still follows the same rules.

It's a fox-mask thing that we came across. I think it was intended as just adding a bit of variation in our loot (like how we might find goblets, statues, paintings or other stuff that aren't just gold/silver). However, my character took quite a shine to it and has kept it rather than selling it.

I just wondered if she'd be able to make it her druid focus somehow.

If the pre-existing item is a druid focus you can just use it, no issue, if the item is not a druid focus then you should consider it a resource in the production of the focus. You can't just pick up a stick and say its a spell focus (just like how you can't pick up a chunk of metal and say its a sword), you need to spend time and resources converting the item into a druidic focus, RP wise you could flavor this as carving runes, drawing magic from nature, making a minor sacrifice or just working on making it look really cool until your spirit bonds with the item and you can use it to cast spells, you can do anything you want but you need to spend the time and gold.

Okay, that makes sense.

To be honest, the main thing I was wondering was what exactly makes a druid focus a druid focus, if you see what I mean.

Tanarii
2018-10-07, 01:25 PM
To be honest, the main thing I was wondering was what exactly makes a druid focus a druid focus, if you see what I mean.
It's a sprig of mistletoe, a yew wand, totem, or staff. Or a special item the DM /adventure has introduced that says it can be used as a Druid focus.

Or you can ask your DM to house rule the item based on something your character is doing to turn an existing item into a focus.

Unoriginal
2018-10-07, 03:30 PM
A fox mask could be totemic, which is the second half of what Druid focuses can be.

Tanarii
2018-10-07, 04:55 PM
A fox mask could be totemic, which is the second half of what Druid focuses can be.

Good call. I think of them as small hand sized totem poles, probably as a legacy from a certain video game I played over a decade ago. I still see them pulsing woth energy :smallamused: Or at the least, I think of them as a shaman fetish, something carried in the hand.

But they could easily be a mask totem/fetish. Totally ask your DM territory.