PDA

View Full Version : Dexterity Paladin?

Kharneth
2018-10-07, 05:08 PM
I've heard of Dexterity Paladins and I'm wondering how to make one. I'm thinking about playing a Paladin with the plan to go Oath of Redemption and thought making a dexterity build would allow me to wear lighter armor. Are dexterity paladin's ranged based or do they all use rapiers?

nickl_2000
2018-10-07, 05:15 PM
Most dexadins tend to use rapiers or another finesse weapon, simply because the smite ability requires a melee weapon attack.

kebusmaximus
2018-10-07, 05:32 PM
Most dexadins tend to use rapiers or another finesse weapon, simply because the smite ability requires a melee weapon attack.

This.

I played a dexterity-based paladin at levels 3-5, and I almost exclusively used a rapier. I did have a hand crossbow just in case, though, and I used it in an ambush once or twice.

R.Shackleford
2018-10-07, 05:35 PM
I've heard of Dexterity Paladins and I'm wondering how to make one. I'm thinking about playing a Paladin with the plan to go Oath of Redemption and thought making a dexterity build would allow me to wear lighter armor. Are dexterity paladin's ranged based or do they all use rapiers?

Daggers.

The difference between a d4 and a d8 doesn't matter much (as your damage comes primarily from smite) and the daggers can be used as a thrown weapon if the paladin is in need of a bit of range.

Some go Rapier/Dagger for this reason.

Bigger numbers don't mean anything if you can't even attack the creature.

Though, I would take the TWF style and use a bludgeoning or slashing weapon in one hand and the dagger in the other. This way you can get around resistances easier and still throw a dagger when needed.

iTreeby
2018-10-07, 05:59 PM
I thought Dex paladins were supposed to use a whip....

Willie the Duck
2018-10-07, 06:57 PM

There is no single type of Dexadin, so do what you like. Things to consider include:

Paladins cannot choose archery as their fighting style
Paladins who want to multiclass require a 13+ strength
The paladin smite ability is for melee weapons
Acrobatics is not on the paladin class skill list, as athletics is
Paladins are a somewhat MAD class with fewer ASI than fighters, and as such cannot use feats to back up their combat abilities as well.

Other than that, it is the same as fighters, barbarians, and any other combatant who is trying to weigh their melee/ranged focus distribution.

Myself, I would focus on rapier, with duelist fighting style, although whips would be another option, as would trying to be good with both. If that choice, dipping 1 level of fighter (for archery style, and then whatever you would do as a paladin) would be an option, but again, that requires 13 str.

ToastyTobasco
2018-10-07, 07:48 PM

Go full Belmont on those bastards. Now I REALLY want to play a dex pally in my CoS game

CTurbo
2018-10-08, 12:26 AM
My Dex Pally used a whip or Scimitar of speed

Vessyra
2018-10-08, 01:17 AM
I have a player who is a dex-based paladin. He is a halfling with a shield and rapier, and the shield master feat. By reaching level 6 before multiclassing, he is effectively immortal, having high saves, high AC, and the ability to dodge fireballs.

After level 6, he started taking levels in sorcerer, with fireboat giving him a ranged attack and haste boosting his defences even higher.

Guy Lombard-O
2018-10-08, 11:40 AM
I'm just getting a Redemption (theoretical, at 3rd) Paladin off the ground in a starting campaign. I built him for better dex than str, and he's equipped with a bow (Divine Favor still works at range, even if Divine Smite doesn't). But he's still got a 13 str for multi-classing and heavy(ish) armor purposes. Otherwise, he's rapier/shield, and I'll probably go Defensive FS at 2nd level.

iTreeby
2018-10-08, 12:34 PM
With paladin it's really not a bad idea to have the 13 Str for multiclass. You might end up wanting to multiclass and the carry capacity is really nice. I really liked the ua paladin that had poison effects.

AttilatheYeon
2018-10-08, 12:49 PM

My Str Conquest Pally uses a Whip.

nickl_2000
2018-10-08, 01:40 PM
My Str Conquest Pally uses a Whip.

If you want a reach weapon with a shield, it can't be beat.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-10-08, 02:09 PM
I'm currently playing one. I went with two shortswords, especially since I know the game's going past level 11 and the DM let me take the Two Weapon Fighting style. My damage gets to be high, I always have a catch for landing those really important smites, and I get all the perks of being Dex-based, like an excellent stealth score. I also have innate flight thanks to the third party aridni race and the Mobile feat due to a free first level feat, which means I don't have to worry about AC overmuch. I doubt you'll be afforded the same boons, but if your DM is okay with you playing a flying race, keep it in mind.

This isn't the first time I've played a dexadin, either. The first time, I went rapier+shield, and acted more like a high mobility tank that stealthed into fights before starting them. Being a lightfoot halfling for the ability to move through enemy spaces was especially handy.

I briefly played another lightfoot dexadin with twin shortswords like I'm doing now, but she was often in over her head when it comes to enemy reprisal. It's fun, but be prepared to suffer some consequences for going all-in like that on damage.

I considered using a whip as well. It's really great with a shield to give you a little distance. If you have a spare feat, Spell Sniper+Booming Blade with the whip can be amazing.

Those are my recommended weapon sets- rapier+shield, shortswordx2, whip+shield. Keep a bow as a backup ranged weapon just in case, and you're good to go!