PDA

View Full Version : Need as much info as possible...

ReluctantDragon
2007-09-17, 09:23 AM
I am attempting to put together the most optimized splash weapon wielder that I can.

I am of course aware of the two feats in the PHB II, the grenadier feat and the mad alchemist feat. Obviously, they would be part of the build.

What I'm most concerned about is what other feats I should take.
Also what class build should I go for? Should I focus on fighter for the extra feat goodness, or rogue for the hawtness of SA damage? What about PrC's?

One last aspect, what about other alchemical items(aside from the fire and acid), and what are the related creation processes to those?

I have all WoTC materials available. Keep in mind, I'm not really wanting to rely on spellcasting. Nor am I really looking for homebrew options.

Anyone willing to help, thanks in advance.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-17, 09:33 AM
Interesting...

Power Attack doesn't work on thrown acid, Sneak Attack does. Hence I'd suggest going with rogue. It also gives you more skill points to burn on alchemy and the like.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 09:54 AM
One last aspect, what about other alchemical items(aside from the fire and acid), and what are the related creation processes to those?
It works just the same as Crafting any other alchemical item. Spend the gold on resources, make the check, and check your progress. Any sources that introduce new alchemical items should also list the Craft DC to go with them.

Keep in mind, I'm not really wanting to rely on spellcasting.
All the same, if you intend on making your own grenade-like weapons, you should take a one-level dip into a spellcasting class. That's all you need to craft alchemical items. Craft is a class skill for almost everyone, so you don't have to worry about skill points. You just need token spellcasting ability.

If you're going with rogue, I'd recommend dipping into Duskblade (from PH2). Armored mage lets you wear light armor without the token spells per day going to waste. If you want to, you can take the Battle Caster feat from Complete Arcane to upgrade that to medium armor. Plus, it will give you +1 to BAB, which is useful for making sure your grenades hit their targets.

Zherog
2007-09-17, 09:59 AM
All the same, if you intend on making your own grenade-like weapons, you should take a one-level dip into a spellcasting class. That's all you need to craft alchemical items. Craft is a class skill for almost everyone, so you don't have to worry about skill points. You just need token spellcasting ability.

Yep. I think it's one of the sillier rules in the game (it prevents experts from being alchemists, for example), but you most definitely need spellcasting ability to make alchemical items.

To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 10:11 AM
Yep. I think it's one of the sillier rules in the game (it prevents experts from being alchemists, for example), but you most definitely need spellcasting ability to make alchemical items.
Tell me about it. I wind up having my NPC alchemists having one or more levels in Adept, which often winds up going against the intended "hedge wizard" flavor of the class. Fortunately, that flavor is only reflected in the class getting a familiar.

Personally, if you feel the need to restrict Alchemy to spellcasters, I think it's best just to keep Alchemy as a separate skill that only spellcasters get as a class skill. (Though experts could still choose it as one of their ten free-choice class skills.) You could even still call it Craft (alchemy). After all, Knowledge is limited as a class skill by subcategories. Why can't Craft, Perform, or Profession follow suit?

(A little off-topic, but I also feel the need to throw out that the current rules do only limit spellcasters to creating alchemical items. Any Craft (alchemy) check not related to making an alchemical item can still be used by a non-spellcaster, at least.)

ReluctantDragon
2007-09-17, 10:33 AM
So along those lines, would spellthief be good? It would grant spellcasting and SA...

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 10:44 AM
So along those lines, would spellthief be good? It would grant spellcasting and SA...
Oh, forgot about spellthief.

Hm. As the definition of Spellcaster is "a character capable of casting spells" (PHB Glossary, pg. 313), it would seem that Spellthief doesn't qualify as a spellcaster until Level 4 (assuming Charisma 12+, otherwise Level 6). So it wouldn't work as a one-level dip like duskblade. But if you want to go with spellthief for the whole progression, it should work just fine. Just would be a little expensive for the first three levels.

Aerlock
2007-09-17, 11:20 AM
Hey! I know you!

Don't forget:
Tanglefoot bag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#tanglefootBag)s. They're not damage dealers but it'll hold your target still long enough to get another damaging strike in.

Thunderstone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#thunderstone)s are handy ways to make the spellcaster go later in the round and give them a chance to screw up their spells.

Smokestick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#smokestick)s for when you need cover or don't want the BBEG to see anything for a round or two.

Antitoxin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#antitoxin) is handy for helping deny your opponent their poison attack against you.

And of course
Sunrod (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#sunrod)s are the poor mans Everburning torch. 6 hours of light for 1gp worth of materials.

Other than these things I vaguely recall some other alchemical items from the environment books and I think a couple of the Races books had nifty alchemical related items as well. I don't recall how many would be good for your grenadier but the more options you have the more situations you can deal with.

As for the creation of any of these items, I imagine a little handwavium and some mumbojumboite is included in each. Beyond that I don't have a clue.

Aerlock

PlatinumJester
2007-09-17, 11:29 AM
There is a weapon from Arms and Equipment guide that lets you launch splash weapons.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-17, 11:41 AM
The solution to all your problems (all alchemical items are in the Equipment section). (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php)

Benejeseret
2007-09-17, 11:53 AM
If it has not been mentioned Artificer might be an option. Its UMD main skill for crafting works well with rogue levels also having the class skill. Emulate any spell level or source you need for crafting.

You would also have scrolls and the like to add versatility. Maybe craft a wand of grease and dual wield with other hand throwing splashes with quickdraw feat.

Means all those greased enemies loose dex and the splash weapons could conceivably do sneak attack damage to all they hit. (fluff secondary splash right into eyes with a skilled throw etc).

Master thrower prc might be worth a look depending on how you build him.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 12:12 PM
If it has not been mentioned Artificer might be an option. Its UMD main skill for crafting works well with rogue levels also having the class skill.
Technically, an Artificier is not a spellcaster and therefore cannot create alchemical items.

Emulate any spell level or source you need for crafting.
Alchemical items require no spells, nor do they work as products of Artificer Magic Item Creation.

The Mormegil
2007-09-17, 12:41 PM
You could always take 1 level in Duskblade.

Machete
2007-09-17, 01:53 PM
Quick Draw can make grenading iterarive attacks possible right?

There is a feat that lets you craft alchemical items without being a spellcaster in Unearthed Arcana, plus I think it gives you some Crafting Points. There is an item like fuse in Arms and Equipment Guide, pretty much turns your alchemical stash into something even batter, traps.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 04:39 PM
Quick Draw can make grenading iterarive attacks possible right?
Sure, assuming you can keep your grenades in some sort of sheathe. Might require a custom item, though.

There is a feat that lets you craft alchemical items without being a spellcaster in Unearthed Arcana, plus I think it gives you some Crafting Points.
That feat is only intended for use with campaigns that acutally use the craft point variant, however. Also note that under this system, the feat Craft Alchemical Item is required to create alchemical items at all. Ranks in Craft (alchemy) alone do not suffice.