PDA

View Full Version : War weaver questions

Zhepna
2018-10-07, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I'm building in 3.5 the following character
Wizard 3/war weaver 5/incantatrix 3/spellguard of silverymoon 4/not sure yet for after
I'll put the text of references at the end of the questions.

We start lvl 12.

1)I was wondering what happen if I apply both the Repeat Spell feat and Echoing Spell feat to a spell I was spreading to the other characters with the eldritch tapestry of war weaver. Let's says the spell is Resist Energy, at the beginning of my next turn or actions, the spell is cast again, according to Repeat Spell. Does it echo a second time the spell since the original copy had echoing spell on it? Does the resistance given stacks ? If the spell was boosting the strenght, does both strenght boosts stack?

2) From what I understand, even if 4 spells are cast at the same time with the tapestry, only the spell with the repeat spell and echoing spell metamagic will be copied and not the other spells cast at the same time originally, is it correct?

3)I saw at different places online that they advise to take Acorn of Far Travels, magic of the land with spellguard. Magic of the land makes any buff heal hp, which qualifies any spell for war weaver. At this point, we can already use harmless and personal spell for war weaver. I'm wondering which other spell could be good in this situation. Is there buff that are not harmless or personal?

4)When I'll reach spellguard of silverymoon 4, will I be able to give buffs (with target: personal) with persist to others players by casting them in the eldritch tapestry of war weaver?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day

jdizzlean
2018-10-08, 08:33 AM
you wouldn't be able to do a repeat spell effect on any spell w/ a range of touch, regardless of how that spell got a range of touch. If a class/feat ability makes your spells be treated as though they were touch/ranged touch, then you can't use repeat on them.

1. no, when your spell is echoed from the oringal casting, it doesn't echo again and cast itself again the following round and on into infinity.

echo'ing is different, but in your example, there's no reason to do an repeat resistance as the bonus's do not stack. echoing basically gives you your spell slot back at a later time w/ the caveat that that slot is being cast at a lower CL.

2. correct, only the spells w/ specific meta effects are affected by those affects.

3. even if it made the buff heal hp, if it doesn't meet the other prereqs of tapestry, you still can't cast it through the tapestry. I think this is more of a GM call than anything. I would be surprised if wherever you read that didn't have a list of things it was trying to do that was against the RAI of the tapestry in the first place...

4. you can do that w/o having to do silvery at all, that's the point of the tapestry. but instead of affecting ONE ally, you're affecting all of them at once.

as a funsie, look at craft contingent spell, that combined w/ tapestry makes for a whole lot of good times (for you..)

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-08, 12:13 PM
1)I was wondering what happen if I apply both the Repeat Spell feat and Echoing Spell feat to a spell I was spreading to the other characters with the eldritch tapestry of war weaver. Let's says the spell is Resist Energy, at the beginning of my next turn or actions, the spell is cast again, according to Repeat Spell. Does it echo a second time the spell since the original copy had echoing spell on it? Does the resistance given stacks ? If the spell was boosting the strenght, does both strenght boosts stack?

2) From what I understand, even if 4 spells are cast at the same time with the tapestry, only the spell with the repeat spell and echoing spell metamagic will be copied and not the other spells cast at the same time originally, is it correct?

3)I saw at different places online that they advise to take Acorn of Far Travels, magic of the land with spellguard. Magic of the land makes any buff heal hp, which qualifies any spell for war weaver. At this point, we can already use harmless and personal spell for war weaver. I'm wondering which other spell could be good in this situation. Is there buff that are not harmless or personal?

4)When I'll reach spellguard of silverymoon 4, will I be able to give buffs (with target: personal) with persist to others players by casting them in the eldritch tapestry of war weaver?
(1) The spell goes off twice, as per the Repeat Spell rules, and the prepared spell becomes available again after an hour, as per Echoing Spell. Stacking rules prohibit two instances of the same spell stacking the same benefit (as with resistance), but you could provide two instantaneous benefits (as with cure serious wounds) or two benefits that last one round (as with wraithstrike).

(2) Yes.

(3) I think the argument is that Magic of the Land makes the spell require a willing creature, since unwilling creatures get a save. I'm guessing you could use it to cast multiple instances of blasphemy centered on a bunch of minions...

(4) You'd be able to cast Personal spells through the tapestry as Close spells, but Close spells are not a legal target for Persist. You could cast a Personal spell with Persist prepared on it, but you couldn't use Incantatrix 3 to Persist the spell after casting, because then it's already Close.

Zhepna
2018-10-08, 09:58 PM
(3) I think the argument is that Magic of the Land makes the spell require a willing creature, since unwilling creatures get a save. I'm guessing you could use it to cast multiple instances of blasphemy centered on a bunch of minions...

(4) You'd be able to cast Personal spells through the tapestry as Close spells, but Close spells are not a legal target for Persist. You could cast a Personal spell with Persist prepared on it, but you couldn't use Incantatrix 3 to Persist the spell after casting, because then it's already Close.

I spend some times rereading all those posts and honestly, it's not that clear but this is how I understand what they try to accomplish since there was not much details.

Ok, so let's say I have Wizard 3/war weaver 5/incantatrix 3/spellguard of silverymoon 4, Acorn of Far Travels , Magic of the land feat. According to the wording of Spellguard, it makes any spell of the game available to be used with the tapestry.

Ocular Spell feat applied to a touch or variable range spell (which normally isn't valid for Persist Spell) makes the result a fixed range spell, which can then be persisted. So my understand is that all the spells cast with tapestry could have persist added to them with the exception of the spell with the range 'personal' like you said

For spell with the range 'personal', they kept refering to the ocular/reach trick but I find nothing on how it works exactly.

It's to be noted that in the tapesty we can read*:
Spells you cast through an eldritch tapestry have their range category increased: touch spells become close range, close-range spells become medium range, and medium-range spells become long range. Long-range spells and spells with fixed ranges are unaffected.

I don't know if it change anything.

I try to see if there's a way to make all the spell castable with persist on it.

Buufreak
2018-10-08, 10:04 PM
You might want to really tone down the copying of copyrighted books word for word along with citations leading to said copyrighted works.

Zhepna
2018-10-08, 10:37 PM
posts edited to comply with your requests. I was adding those informations to facilitate the search for forum members. Sorry for that.